How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

17 minutes ago, Rhun DeCuir said:

Me and my alts - A study in multiple personalities.

1122967943_MeandMyAlts_008.thumb.jpg.204b021467c7ebf8983b7d3603e5443e.jpg

Six viewers demands respect. Five maxes my IT!!! And takes forever to set up........like what to wear x5....

Nice job. :)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Six viewers demands respect. Five maxes my IT!!! And takes forever to set up........like what to wear x5....

Nice job. :)

Tell me about it!  By the time I logged the last on on, the lag was horrible!  I had to set the graphics on low for all the open viewers.  Then, once I got the camera where I wanted it, I put that one viewer to ultra to take the picture.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Casually hanging around, as ornaments?

Images like this (and the 37 likes it got) make me think that I should be more actively feminist.

Would it help if I told you which two of the five people pictured actually posed this?

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Images like this (and the 37 likes it got) make me think that I should be more actively feminist.

I've been stewing about this picture since I first saw it.

Full disclosure: I am responsible for one of the 37 "likes." My mouse hovered over the button for probably a good minute before I decided, for reasons that are likely relevant only to me, to click "like." I now (and have, almost since the moment I did it) regret doing so, but it feels dishonest to change that, so it stands.

Two general points. First, I'm not very interested in "agency" here. I don't care who actively posed and who was photoshopped in, I don't care whose idea the pic was, or even why individuals chose to be involved. The people in this pic are mostly people I like and respect, and I'm not interested in trying to pin them down as individuals for their decisions. I'm not trying to "call out" anyone here. And for that reason, I also don't care about how many "real people" were involved: had this picture been composed using four female alts of Orwar, the meanings it produces would be the same.

My second point -- and this is in response to a post Orwar has since made in another thread -- is that this isn't about the state of undress of the women in this pic. I have no problems with pics featuring outright nudity, and I'm going to guess that Maddy feels the same. To be honest, I'd probably find a picture of the five people in this picture engaging in sex together a lot less problematic and objectionable than I do this one. The issue is the way in which that semi-nudity has been contextualized within this composition, and the fact that only the women are in a state of undress. This isn't about prudery: the issue is how the use of undress in this particular setting and context signifies.

So, let's talk instead about the composition. It features a single man, dressed elegantly in an expensive-looking "power suit," sitting on a chair that is large and grand enough that it might almost be a throne. And around him, clad in sexy lingerie, are four women. None of them are afforded the privilege of a chair: indeed, two are seated on the ground, at his feet. Their state of semi-nudity strongly contrasts with the man's elaborate and nearly over-dressed state. The focus of the picture is squarely on the man: he is at the centre of the pic, and the arrangement of the women, who float on the margins (literally and metaphorically) draws the eye to him.

The man looks powerful, and the more so, of course, because of his obvious position of dominance over the women who appear, as Maddy says, as "ornaments" -- like his dress, and the very grand chair upon which he is seated, they are important mainly as testimony to his power. The fact that the women are in sexy lingerie (no granny panties here!) attests to their sexual availability to the man: he can choose whichever he wants, like someone delving into a box of chocolates. The women are also, for this reason, interchangeable cyphers: all are beautiful, all are in a position of subservience, and all are at his beck and call, sexually. There is only really one "person" in this picture, and that is the man: the women are props. This pic is, despite the semi-clad state of the women, not about sex. It's about power.

The pic, in short, might have been plucked from the pages of Playboy Magazine, ca. 1965. And like the ethos of Playboy, the overwhelming signification is that the sexual revolution, which is supposed to be about the sexual liberation of women, is really most valuable to men because it has increased the number of potential sexual partners. Men needn't be threatened by women's sexuality: it can instead be exploited, and reframed in a way that actually enhances masculine dominance and superiority.

Nobody is going to seriously argue, I hope, that this isn't about the dominant position of the man in the picture?

Now, to be clear: I am not imputing any of this reading to a conscious decision the part of any of the participants in this picture. I don't for a moment believe that the women pictured here set out to create an image that would embody a desperately out-of-date conception of male power. I certainly do not assume that the meanings embodied here reflect the actual relationship existing between any of the participants. It's a carefully posed photo, a work of photographic "art," and not a signifier of an actual state of being.

I also want to make it clear that this isn't about "kink shaming." I couldn't care less if the four women (well, two or three in practice? I don't know who "Rita" is) are enjoying a menage-a-cinque with Orwar. That's totally their own business, and I'm completely fine with it.

But this picture is a very public one, and it's not merely documentation of what may or may not be happening behind the scenes: it's a communication of a particular set of ideas. That it is as carefully posed and setup as it clearly was demonstrates that: I don't see any way of reading it that doesn't, in the essentials, conform with what I've described above. What we do in privacy is entirely up us, and I'm not going to judge it. But when you make a carefully composed picture embodying a certain set of ideas public, then you've waived your right to escape judgment. If you are publicly expressing certain ideas, then you can, and should, expect that those ideas will be challenged.

All that said . . . this is clearly a "fun" picture. It's not, I take it, a "manifesto" or a deliberate statement about gender roles in RL. But even a "fun" picture produces meanings, and if you're going to publish those meanings, then they are fair game to comment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Neat reversal. The women around you are clothed, while you're in your undies!

I like.

I wouldn't really call this a "reversal", as he's posing with statues, that are probably of Ancient Crete/Babylonia likenesses.   He's not posing with fully clad female avatars. Also, he posts a lot of pics in his undies,so it's not like this is that different from his normal shots.  I like the pic's coloring, and the contrast between ancient statues and laser lights, but I wouldn't say it's a "neat reversal". 

15 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

You know, we did a similar shot 2 years ago, and it was very organically put together, with two of the three women (Zeta and myself) pushing for the lingerie shoot.  Pretty sure we posted it in here, and no one talked about becoming "more actively feminist".  While I wasn't involved in this one,  I'm going to go on a limb and say Zeta was behind this shot. lol    It's actually kind of sad that women can't take these kinds of pics without someone thinking they are "ornaments" and not "strong women."  You are clearly reading what you want into this. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Catrie said:

I wouldn't really call this a "reversal", as he's posing with statues, that are probably of Ancient Crete/Babylonia likenesses.   He's not posing with fully clad female avatars. Also, he posts a lot of pics in his undies,so it's not like this is that different from his normal shots.  I like the pic's coloring, and the contrast between ancient statues and laser lights, but I wouldn't say it's a "neat reversal".

Mostly, I was being facetious about that. I'm pretty sure that Matt wasn't consciously commenting on Zeta's pic. It was just an interesting coincidence.

5 minutes ago, Catrie said:

It's actually kind of sad that women can't take these kinds of pics without someone thinking they are "ornaments" and not "strong women." 

I wouldn't say that they are ornaments or "weak." I would say that the picture imagines them as such, whatever the reality.

• Like 4