How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

10 hours ago, NiranV Dean said:

Once again ignore the godrays and fancy schmancy stuff all around, concentrate on the colors. This is just one major difference, Firestorm does have the Color Correction and Tone Mapping feature as well but have fun setting that up and then you'd still be missing all the other smaller improvements all around as well as the major new features like Volumetric Lighting and Screen Space Reflections.

By default SL has this... unexplainable greyish color layer, all the colors seem washed out... desaturated but in an unnatural way, the contrast seems weak and generally colors could be a lot... brighter and/or alive.

Ok, I get it...  and it seems that everyone seems agrees that BD is an awesome viewer, with a superior visual and photographic user experience. Unfortunately for me, I run everything on iMac pros - hence my dependance on FS. I read that in an old 2014 support post that you're never ever going to release a version of BD for Apple or IOS. What gives? Is it because its' a ton of work and you're not going to put the time into it, or do you have issue with IOS and Apple?

Just wondering. I'm not into tech, so I really don't know the differences in programing for one or the other platforms. Apple displays and their graphics quality have always seemed to me to have been so dominate over the years with graphic artist etc,  that it seemed that the BD visuals could do an even better job of creating the immersive experience in SL. Regardless, it's awesome that you have created such a cool viewer... I'm just sad I can't play with the others! 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

I have become completely addicted to the freight delivery game GTFO in SL - yesterday I delivered stuff by land, sea, air and rail because I'm completely weird. Most fun I've had in SL in 17 years though.

606201.jpg
606224.jpg
606218.jpg

606202.jpg?width=1200

Delivering stuff sounds fun! What is GTFO?

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Saravendi said:

Regardless, it's awesome that you have created such a cool viewer... I'm just sad I can't play with the others! 

Don't be sad, your not alone! :)

I am sticking with FS myself. Not because I can not run BD, but I am quite content with the quality of pics you can do with FS and do not feel like going trough a learning curve and spend even more time on a picture to make them a bit higher quality. Not aiming for professional quality, just to have fun and making pretty enough pics.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

"This wasn't how they described it at the travel agent's..."

This shot (Day 3 of Black Dragon) was prompted by something @Scylla Rhiadra mentioned about being surprised at how BD performed on some sims where FS bogged down. One of my favorite places is Tralala Loorde's Pine Lake, but it kills my computer on FS. It crashes me like nobody's business. Even with graphics set at the absolute lowest, I cannot even walk around Pine Lake any more. That happened about 2 years ago? So of course this was my sim to go to with Black Dragon. Ummm. Holy crap. Yes, textures took FOREVER to load (like literally go to the kitchen, make a hot sandwich, come back and it was mostly loaded at a short draw distance!), but I could walk, choppily, but I could walk. This photo has shadows off, because with the rain and other things going on at this spot, they weren't rendering well any way, but the point being: I had shadows full on at one point. LOD is ultra high. Etc.  Most interesting!

Even with turning down the gamma and glow, the light was too harsh on SR making her glowing white even with various WLs. I've not had that problem in FS. However, adding playing with the Global Light Strength under Light Softening made a huge difference.

This isn't the best photo in the world but there is no chance I'd have gotten ANY photo with FS.

Pine Lake 012420_004.png

ETA: Out of curiosity I did log back in to Pine Lake using Firestorm. I had the graphics set to Low, think one step above wireframe. Unlike the previous times, I could walk. I went to the bench and found Maddie M there, obviously stalking me. We had words. I then set my graphics up to higher, but not quite as high as what they were in Black Dragon, and yeah, things quickly got bad. I TP'd back home right before a sure crash was coming.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

"This wasn't how they described it at the travel agent's..."

This shot (Day 3 of Black Dragon) was prompted by something @Scylla Rhiadra mentioned about being surprised at how BD performed on some sims where FS bogged down. One of my favorite places is Tralala Loorde's Pine Lake, but it kills my computer on FS. It crashes me like nobody's business. Even with graphics set at the absolute lowest, I cannot even walk around Pine Lake any more. That happened about 2 years ago? So of course this was my sim to go to with Black Dragon. Ummm. Holy crap. Yes, textures took FOREVER to load (like literally go to the kitchen, make a hot sandwich, come back and it was mostly loaded at a short draw distance!), but I could walk, choppily, but I could walk. This photo has shadows off, because with the rain and other things going on at this spot, they weren't rendering well any way, but the point being: I had shadows full on at one point. LOD is ultra high. Etc.  Most interesting!

Even with turning down the gamma and glow, the light was too harsh on SR making her glowing white even with various WLs. I've not had that problem in FS. However, adding playing with the Global Light Strength under Light Softening made a huge difference.

This isn't the best photo in the world but there is no chance I'd have gotten ANY photo with FS.

Pine Lake 012420_004.png

ETA: Out of curiosity I did log back in to Pine Lake using Firestorm. I had the graphics set to Low, think one step above wireframe. Unlike the previous times, I could walk. I went to the bench and found Maddie M there, obviously stalking me. We had words. I then set my graphics up to higher, but not quite as high as what they were in Black Dragon, and yeah, things quickly got bad. I TP'd back home right before a sure crash was coming.

I hadn't heard of Pine Lake so checked it out. I kept my usual FS graphics settings (304m draw distance, ultimate settings plus others maxed that ultimate doesn't do on its own) but LOD at 2. I didn't have any trouble moving around and frame rates were usually in the 25-30fps range once textures had loaded. I changed to LOD 4 but that didn't make much difference. The region was maintaining its framerate but only 60 - 70% of the scripts could run in a frame. Anyway, here I am buying dinner from a street vendor.

525496969_PineLakevisit.thumb.jpg.aaa2dcad71b4d5974c7dd45409d9b5a9.jpg

• Like 22
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Saravendi said:

Ok, I get it...  and it seems that everyone seems agrees that BD is an awesome viewer, with a superior visual and photographic user experience. Unfortunately for me, I run everything on iMac pros - hence my dependance on FS. I read that in an old 2014 support post that you're never ever going to release a version of BD for Apple or IOS. What gives? Is it because its' a ton of work and you're not going to put the time into it, or do you have issue with IOS and Apple?

Just wondering. I'm not into tech, so I really don't know the differences in programing for one or the other platforms. Apple displays and their graphics quality have always seemed to me to have been so dominate over the years with graphic artist etc,  that it seemed that the BD visuals could do an even better job of creating the immersive experience in SL. Regardless, it's awesome that you have created such a cool viewer... I'm just sad I can't play with the others! 

Mac/Apple is by far the worst graphics wise. Overall they are the worst in almost every category, their performance in gaming is bad, their graphics are bad, they are not even going to support OpenGL anymore (which SL's rendering is), their prices are over the top (just like Intel) and they are by far the least innovative company in every category (Laptop, Desktop, Mobile), they sell new revolutionary features like being able to use your phone to.... PHONE (yes i know this is a dead horse by now but still). Apple's prime time has been over since... 10? 15 years? They are literally selling you hot junk, i hate saying it but get a Win***** 10 laptop, you get all the multimedia stuff there too, you have million times more choice, you pay overall 10 times less for more and at least Microdumb doesn't try to sell you "phoning" as a revolutionary new feature that apparently has never existed before... as an added bonus you get your own NSA agent to spy on you for free (yea, yea i know another dead horse). Mac is basically the solar opposite of what my Viewer is trying to achieve which is why Mac is the least likely OS to be supported by my Viewer. No seriously Windumb is stupid but it absolutely dominates all other OS's, its the most widely supported OS. For Windows you'll 99.99% find what you are looking for, Linux is going to be harder and Mac you're basically caging yourself in a small box that Apple decorated for you. In short: Mac is really bad. Do yourself a favor and get any non-apple product in the future, with some of them you'll end up with so much leftover money you could buy whatever you bought, twice.

But that's not the reason i don't have a Mac version. If i had one i'd simply not support it and you'd be on your own with it. I don't have one because i cannot make one without owning a Mac myself, anyone with some compiling knowledge will probably spank my ass now and say "but Niran you're just too stupid, you CAN compile a Mac version and a Linux version without owning neither of these OS's" yes, i know, there are buildfarms, there are probably other ways to set it up but i'm not willing to go all the way for something that i can't even start to, at the very least, make sure it boots into the login screen, how am i supposed to support it? I simply can't. And before this Niran buys a Mac, pigs will start flying and earth will turn flat.

Personally i find it sad having to tell people that their OS is not supported (just as much as i hate having to tell people that something cannot be done in the Viewer), but there's little i can do about it...

Snapshot_024.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Eva Knoller said:

Delivering stuff sounds fun! What is GTFO?

It is a game in SL that uses a hud and supported vehicles to allow you to use the infrastructure of mainland (roads, rails, water, air) to deliver freight. There's a huge network of places that support it. You go to a depot and pick up freight (depending on how much your vehicle can hold), and you deliver it somewhere else for xp and game currency. More than anything else, it's a great way to explore the mainland and to have something to do in SL. You can find out more info about it on their site here:

https://sl-gtfo.com/about-gtfo/

I had no idea it existed until yesterday, but it is apparently really popular. Feel free to im me if you have any questions about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1