How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, let me begin by saying that, speaking as a Physique wearer myself, I feel your pain. As I am sure I don't need to tell you, it's getting harder and harder to find new clothes for Physique, a development paralleled by the pernicious increase in clothing made "Exclusively for Maitreya."

you are right.. sometimes is a pain , I saw Maitreya everywhere 😞
when I finally decided to buy a new body, even if my inventory was plenty of shapes and skins, I choose Physique because I dislike a curvy avatar like Hourglass but I've realized that I haven't play well my cards...

I find that I can often wear clothes fitted for Maitreya, such as jeans and sweaters, but the chief problems are almost always at the back, between and around the shoulder blades: if there is anything that is even the slightest bit finicky happening there, it become impossible to alpha out the offending bits of mesh body.

exactly.. the back...

If you're not using Redux, however, or if there is no alpha layer included (which nowadays is usually the case) or you're unwilling to undertake the annoyance and time involved in making your own, you're probably out of luck.

I'm a kind of newbie even if I'm on Sl since 2007. I take time for understand mesh body and now I'm not ready for Redux, even if I think to have understand that is something like the alpha of the old clothes.
Usually I spent few time on Sl except now that I have a problem and I'm at home so I'll try to learn something more. 😊

<rant>It's a little astonishing to me that new clothing, for Maitreya or any other body, is not now being issued with alpha layers, given that BOM is now enabled in (I think) all viewers. Presumably the new BOM-compliant Lara body, when it arrives, will need these, just as the Slink Redux bodies do, and anything you own for Maitreya that does not include these will potentially become problematic because you won't be able to use alpha slices on the body HUD anymore. (At least, that's the theory: we'll see what Maitreya does with BOM). Basically, I'm not buying new clothes that don't come with alpha layers anymore: it's like planned obsolescence because, eventually, BOM will become the standard across all bodies.

My other issue, upon which I've expanded before, is with regard to how stupid it is for clothing makers to assist Maitreya in cornering the market on women's mesh bodies by not making versions for other bodies. In so doing, they are slowly but surely killing off the competition, and ensuring that Maitreya's already tight stranglehold over both consumers and clothing makers is strengthened. And that's not good for anyone, except Maitreya. I have started to basically boycott clothing creators who do this. I'm not sure why they do it -- do they have a special deal with Maitreya? Is Maitreya demanding this in return for access to the Lara development kit? -- but it's self-defeating, and bad for the grid. </rant>

TOTALLY AGREE.. by the way I have collected so many clothes during the years that one more doesnt' change anything... I'll remember when I bought most of the LAST CALL collection because I love her and I've been upset  by what happened in RL.

Thank you 

@Scylla Rhiadra

• Like 1

Well, let me begin by saying that, speaking as a Physique wearer myself, I feel your pain. As I am sure I don't need to tell you, it's getting harder and harder to find new clothes for Physique, a development paralleled by the pernicious increase in clothing made "Exclusively for Maitreya."

I read this and I just had to add my complete agreement! I wear a little-known - or at least, little-supported - mesh body; Fitness Nana by Jolie Sunkiss (devsir). I very much like the 'fit girl' look... but there is SO little clothing made for it, and most of it is gym gear. I recently decided to get the SLink Hourglass body (after trying many, many different demo bodies), because I can get it to very closely match the shape of my Nana body, and there are a LOT more wardrobe choices for Hourglass than Nana. That said... while the Big Three are Maitreya, SLink, and Belleza, I am dismayed by how much creators cater to the Maitreya body at the expense of others.

I am hoping Jolie will release a BoM update to the Nana body in the near future, as that will also expand options.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, manoji Yachvili said:

I'm a kind of newbie even if I'm on Sl since 2007. I take time for understand mesh body and now I'm not ready for Redux, even if I think to have understand that is something like the alpha of the old clothes.
Usually I spent few time on Sl except now that I have a problem and I'm at home so I'll try to learn something more. 😊

I've played a bit with the Physique Redux and BOM. It's not actually that steep a learning curve, once you get a few of the basic concepts (such as the fact that skins for heads are now on system "tattoo" layers). I'm holding off on using it properly, however, until I know if the skin maker for my head is going to release an updated BOM-compliant version.

It's always a massive pain learning something like this from scratch, but Physique has produced a FAQ, and a couple of worthwhile videos that make it all a bit clearer.

19 minutes ago, Rhiannon Tamerlane said:

am hoping Jolie will release a BoM update to the Nana body in the near future, as that will also expand options.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! BOM should expand options greatly, as you say, and (in theory) make it easier to wear clothes for Maitreya on other bodies using the alpha layer that should (in theory) be supplied with all new clothing.

The key question is: how well will an alpha layer designed for Maitreya map onto a non-Maitreya body?

At the very least, however, it's possible to create your own alpha layers. And the Redux comes with a really good assortment of these as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

My other issue, upon which I've expanded before, is with regard to how stupid it is for clothing makers to assist Maitreya in cornering the market on women's mesh bodies by not making versions for other bodies. In so doing, they are slowly but surely killing off the competition, and ensuring that Maitreya's already tight stranglehold over both consumers and clothing makers is strengthened. And that's not good for anyone, except Maitreya. I have started to basically boycott clothing creators who do this. I'm not sure why they do it -- do they have a special deal with Maitreya? Is Maitreya demanding this in return for access to the Lara development kit? -- but it's self-defeating, and bad for the grid. </rant>

Substitute Catwa (in particular) followed by Lelutka and you have the same issue with skins, makeup, etc. with bento heads. I finally gave up and switched from my AK head to Lelutka. The AK was more me, the Lelutka still hasn't tweaked right (too much cheekbone and model-y looking). So many skin etc designers don't make Omega. You'd think everyone would make Omega. It looks like all of a sudden Genus is making a play, because it seems like now that I have my Lelutka head and see a skin at an event I'd like to try it is now for Genus! LoL & sigh. (I really don't like Catwa... no offense to the 10billion owners out there, it is a personal thing.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1