How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

4 hours ago, anniepany said:

I agree Scylla. Why can women not go topless and it's ok for guys to? Is it only because we are able to produce milk and they can't??? I mean for crying out loud, I've seen men with bigger boobs then me and no one screams in protest. It's a sad statement on society and the prudish attitude they have. Just my two lindens worth...

I suspect that, were the focus upon primary function of breasts (i.e., providing nutrients to newborns and infants), they wouldn't be such a big deal. It's the fact that they are perceived primarily as sexual fun-toys that is the real problem. Men aren't solely to blame for that -- I think most women do think of their breasts as part of their sexual toolkit -- but overall it's masculine desire that has created this perception.

An analogy is the case of certain highly-publicized American politicians who refuse to be alone in a room doing business with even fully clothed women: in theory it's about "propriety," but underwriting that is apparently the perception that men can't be trusted to not fall prey to temptation. Shown a naked woman's breast -- even a 2-dimensional virtual one -- and men will obviously be driven made with uncontrollable and destructive desire.

Well, that's true of my breasts, anyway. YMMV . . . 😉

4 hours ago, halebore Aeon said:

It's funny that you should say that. That reminds me of the protests back in the early 90s, here in Ontario Canada. Women were saying why is it okay for a man to be topless, but not a woman. And as a really little kid, seeing a lot of topless women, was awesome. Especially when I was male before. Anyways, I think in 1994 the bill was passed that women could go topless in Ontario on the streets. The movement was called topfreedom. But yeah after that was allowed, women just went back to wearing shirts again. And in my little head, I was like. you just got the right to go topless in public, and now you choose to put the top on, when the bill is passed. Doesn't make any sense.

Ah, Gwen Jacobs. I remember it well.

I think the real point here was not that a whole lot of women wanted to parade around topless; for a whole variety of reasons, including remaining cultural stigmas, that's never been the case really. It was really about the principle of the thing. Not just the "double standard," but also the desire to ensure that it was women who got to define the significance of their own bodies, rather than a patriarchal culture that had decided that this was "acceptable," but this wasn't. If there is a decision to be made about what women do with their bodies -- hide or display -- it should be the women themselves making it.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 7

Selfie with a less-than-impressed Laskya.

This is the first time I've ever brought Laskya on with me! I thought my poor computer would grind to a halt, but it actually handled it very well.

Anyway, I thought it was time for a fun (and bare-butt-free) pic.

946852664_Selfie-with-Laskya-Blank.thumb.png.f11b14a93b870e002b4920f54ce852d3.png

• Like 23

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is the first time I've ever brought Laskya on with me! I thought my poor computer would grind to a halt, but it actually handled it very well.

946852664_Selfie-with-Laskya-Blank.thumb.png.f11b14a93b870e002b4920f54ce852d3.png

See! Easy peasy......now make another alt and join the Clone Army.....hehe!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Laskya may not have been impressed, but I am! ❤️ Such elegance! And dat mirror, OMG, dat mirror! A very artsy shot! Must have taken some fancy photoshopping! :) 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Men aren't solely to blame for that -- I think most women do think of their breasts as part of their sexual toolkit -- but overall it's masculine desire that has created this perception.

I think it's an interesting history around the acceptance of breasts. In the ancient Roman civilization, breasts were perceived as symbols of nurturing and motherhood (how could they?!) and even ritually shown as a sign of mourning or an appeal for mercy. However, breasts were also regarded as erotic attributes of femininity, and it appears that it was largely frowned upon for 'civilized people' to run around with them exposed willy-nilly (and I'm not sure whether it's a comfort that slaves' breasts were okay to expose, as they weren't as much people as property anyway).

Certainly with the early medieval period, as the 'heathen' rituals were abolished in Catholic Europe, and eroticism in all forms were considered outright sinful (and frequently unlawful), a more prudish culture for both men and women arose. In the renaissance period and up to the 19thC, women's breasts saw a period of acceptance though, perhaps more so than ever in Europe (with various cultural exceptions in the pre-Christian societies) - breasts were once more seen as symbols of nurturing and motherhood, drawn directly from the Hellenic culture that the renaissance period in so many ways wanted to emulate. It appears to fall upon the Victorian society (who would've guessed?!) to be blamed for the stern retreat of the female (and male) anatomy into the confines of strict dress code. In the early 20th century, men in both America and Europe began to challenge the Victorian style by appearing topless on beaches - and before it became accepted, many men were fined for their indecent exposure. Women at large in the same time period, as far as I can tell, don't appear to have been quite as keen on fighting for that same right at the time - exposed female breasts were acceptable in certain contexts, noticeably so in cabarets and live performances at club stages (though the entire context itself was not always broadly accepted by the general public).

In this day and age, it seems to vary a lot on where you are. Here in Sweden, for example, men and women alike are free to sunbathe topless (whether you're on a beach or in a park); the law states that you may not expose your breasts in an act of provocation or sexual harassment. That said, law and society don't always fully agree with one another, and many Swedish institutions are less aware of Swedish law than American customs; a school may well punish a girl if she were to expose her breasts for any reason, even if she technically has the law on her side if she wants to, say, sunbathe whilst on a break. I do however talk about school dress decorum with Catrie quite frequently, since she gets a lot of news articles about girls who are sent home from school or otherwise punished for exposing their shoulders or wearing too short skirts - when I was in high school, it was very much in popular fashion for girls to dress in a very provocative and often sexualized manner (when I was 16, a girl in my parallel class always wore latex and vinyl clothing); whether it's a matter of liberty or societal corruption where tweens are at all catered with such apparel by society is a whole other topic, though.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Angelina String said:

Looks like Scylla and I have the same taste when it comes to bathroom styling ;)

mirror_cr.thumb.jpg.d5039222077fad3e824bfc019768c564.jpg

Okay, now I'm dying of curiosity. :) How did all y'all get that mirror thingy working?! Mine never do that! 😛 Did I miss a memo or something?!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BelindaN said:

See! Easy peasy......now make another alt and join the Clone Army.....hehe!

Yeah, I think not. One is more than enough to handle, and Laskya more so than most. And one thing I definitely don't need to double is double or triple my shopping!

Mind you, I do have one alt in mothballs -- Richard Parkes, Gorean Master and Manly Man about Town. It would be amusing one day to resuscitate him . . .

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Okay, now I'm dying of curiosity. :) How did all y'all get that mirror thingy working?! Mine never do that! 😛 Did I miss a memo or something?!

I was tempted to say "It's all smoke and mirrors", which it kind of is, but not involving either mirrors or smoke :D

It is just a "window" in a wall with everything that would be visible in the mirror duplicated on the other side of the wall...

I'll edit this with pic to better illustrate in a sec...

Snapshot_2731.thumb.jpg.d9a6e17b761cbb28d2c9bd5cf7f8b5e9.jpg

Snapshot_2732.thumb.jpg.3cad3b9ed6931d94eb90e089f58f2b11.jpg

Edited by Angelina String
Added pics
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, kiramanell said:

Laskya may not have been impressed, but I am! ❤️ Such elegance!

Thank you! Actually, I never think of my main, Scylla, as particularly "elegant." But Laskya is probably capable.

3 hours ago, kiramanell said:

And dat mirror, OMG, dat mirror! A very artsy shot! Must have taken some fancy photoshopping! :)

Ah, well!

Both Taya and I are using a photobooth from FoxCity that's cleverly designed for mirror shots like this: the counter and sink you see in the foreground is replicated, physically, in mirror image on each side of transparent "mirror." So you set up your camera on one side, shoot through the "mirror" to your avatar(s) on the other, and voila! Instant mirror shot.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Angelina String said:

I was tempted to say "It's all smoke and mirrors", which it kind of is, but not involving either mirrors or smoke :D

It is just a "window" in a wall with everything that would be visible in the mirror duplicated on the other side of the wall...

I'll edit this with pic to better illustrate in a sec...

Ooo, that's pretty clever. :) Thx. And LOL @ 'smoke and mirrors.' 😍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

There are a few different methods to do 'mirrored' shots. Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a 'working mirror' in Second Life - with the exception of SL water surfaces, that with some specific water WL settings turn into blank mirrors.

So the first method is to use actual water as the mirror, by turning your entire scene and subject onto its side, and either rolling the camera (only works in certain viewers, like Black Dragon) to shoot at that angle, or by shooting it on the 'wrong' axis and then turning the picture right way up.

The second method, which is my preferred one, is to pose in front of a mirror - but turn the mirror into a green screen (a full-bright, blank prim). You then shoot the picture from two opposing angles in relation to the camera position and mirror surface, and layer the two pictures and mask the green screen.

image.png.bfc5b5c22c5a3ebb1fc4055ae272b0d0.pngBlue: subject. Green: Mirror. Red: Camera 1 & 2. Note that the wall is transparent on the 'outside'.

In this particular shot, though, I'm guessing that Angelina is using a mirror backdrop. Such backdrops are specifically designed to make it look as if you're viewing into a mirror from a first person view, this works for as long as there's only one view of the subject visible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And one thing I definitely don't need to double is double or triple my shopping!

I have an alt originally created for building and running a store that I recently decided to update.  She had very few clothes and an outdated static mesh head.  It's not just the 25 bucks for a head but also the hours spent trying to make a shape that is unique to her and I'm still not happy with it. 

• Like 5