How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 11:56 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Auntie Winnie on the Schloßbrücke (or Castle Bridge), "with F," as the note on the back of the photograph indicates. The picture is not dated, but couldn't have been taken before the end of 1927, because the bridge was (or so Wikipedia tells me!) under repair for most of that year. It's hard to be certain but, to judge again by my aunt's appearance, this was most likely taken in the spring or summer of 1928.

My aunt had, by this point, found part-time employment with the German postal service at a postamt (postal station) near Alexanderplatz. Here, her fluency in English and her growing competence in German were particularly valued, as the station was frequented by foreign visitors to the city, the vast majority of whom arrived in the city through the train station there. It proved, apparently, to be a good job, and she did well there; in 1930 her position was made permanent. She remained in that service until her departure from Germany two years later.

In fact, though, in her first few months in Germany, Winnie had some difficulty finding a position anywhere. Her skills as a stenographer might, of course, have been of value, had her skills in German been more advanced. She was very fortunate in her choice of landlady, Frau Becker, who was well connected in the neighbourhood, and set up Winnie to take in laundry from the such local middle class households not quite wealthy enough to employ their own maid to do the job. Not only did Frau Becker drum up business for my great great aunt, but she also provided the sink, water, iron, and laundry line for Winnie to use, as my aunt's simple bedsit had no water supply of its own. The income Winnie gained from this was pretty meager, but it did at least mean that she was not eating away at her savings as quickly as she otherwise might have. In any case, she seems to have managed reasonably well until she at last secured the postal job.

I'm not at this point sure who this "F" who was on the bridge with her (and, I assume, took the picture?) might be: this is her -- or his? -- first appearance in the journal.

Berlin-Bridge-2 Blank.png

This is a very nice picture, well done.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Unquiet Slumbers?

Take a pill.

Sneakily swaps out Scylla's sleeping pills for caffeine pills.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

This is my blue green purply period.... oh yea, my new hair and a white Yeti coat in summer, with jean shorts... go figure????

Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 4.10.35 PM.png

Edited by Saravendi
  • Like 26

6 hours ago, Saravendi said:

This is my blue green purply period.... oh yea, my new hair and a white Yeti coat in summer, with jean shorts... go figure????

Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 4.10.35 PM.png

Attitude much? I wouldn't want to meet you on a dark runway!

6 hours ago, Saravendi said:

Great photo...Scylla, the lighting/shadow work is amazing

Sometimes I think that taking pictures is just an excuse for playing around with lights in SL. (Blame Skell: he's the one who got me started.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Angelina String said:

One from California and the other from Europe, there's one obvious place to meet...

miamigirls.thumb.jpg.adacd6b81c65fe6f156fbea7a62181c4.jpg

Day 1- Party time...💅🏻💆🏼‍♀️🏄🏼‍♀️🏊‍♀️🏖👯🎼🎺🌃💃🏻🕺💫🎉🎊🙎🏼‍♂️🦸‍♂️😍🥳🥺😱🤭🥴☠️🤢🤢🤮🤮🤬🙂🤫 Yay!

Day 2- 😑😑😑😑😴😴😴😴🥴🥴🥴🥴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😞🥂🚌✈️🛫🛬

Day 3- Home 🏠 😵🥴🤐🤕 yay 😎

Edited by Saravendi
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

So.... like do you EVER have a bad hair day?

Nope... Never.... I'm not sure she is even human.  She doesn't seem to have a bad ANYTHING day!

/me sighs and goes back to the drawing board, glancing upwards at the post above 🙃

Edited by Saravendi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Roxy Couturier said:

So I haven't posted in a while, but I had no ideas for a photo and couldn't decide what to wear..

Choices_001.png.5fb6f399c32d644b50e9bee902260ca3.png

Thank god you decided against openly wearing your girl bits.

Can you even imagine the shock, horror, and moral contamination of Second Life that might have ensued?

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7