How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

1 minute ago, Marianne Little said:

Flashdance

This is clearly edited, lol.

The start image is good too, but I wanted some color in the hair and skin. But looking at it, I wonder if the start image has a more wild quality to it.. Did I edit it away and made it too polished? Maybe?

flashd_009.jpg

I like the original better lol!!!

1 minute ago, Marianne Little said:

Did I edit it away and made it too polished?

I like the editing. The original is a bit too dark for it. The colours and brightness in the edit makes it seem happier and warmer, and less .. Being waterboarded in a dark cell. ^_^

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

the start image has a more wild quality to it.. Did I edit it away <snip>

I think this. I can see wanting to add more clarity and light to the face, maybe I would want to also dodge the clothing edges of the body to separate them from the background more but for my taste and this type of dance, the dynamic mood of the light falling across the body in the original is what I like most. 

This following comment isn’t a critique of your photo skills but I’ll make it anyway because that’s what ‘breaks’ this photo for me regardless of any edits. The first thing that struck me about the scene is that the hands and feet don’t seem to be planted, she’s not supported but it’s not a dynamic ‘caught in motion’ moment either.  Not a fan of this pose maker, they just don’t seem get the gravity and weight distribution right on most of their dance poses. I noticed they crop the feet from their vendor photos on several of the worst examples of them too. Does it matter if we are playing pretend for fun photos in SL? Nope, not a bit and if you don’t care, please disregard. But does it somewhat break the believability of a motion shot and therefore make the realism take a big hit? Yep. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I spend a lot of time when I set up a photo in SL, because I am not so good at editing. So I need a good material to work with.

It's always better to put a few moments extra into the setup, rather than the many, many moments of correcting things in editing. But some things, like exposure and saturation, are generally finalised in editing. Lighting in SL is tricky, whether you work with windlights or with local lights.

The colour intensity and lighting are very important for setting the mood though, along with the colour balance. I tend to reduce the saturation more often than I increase it, and I tend to use a cold pallet, and darker shading (occasionally contrasted with more intense highlights) - and that's all deliberate. I'm at home in darkness, just look at how uncomfortable Neph looks when I put her in a warm, bright scene (which even then has been desaturated a little).

Gardens of Eterea

She feels out of place, both in her appearance, her pallet, and her expression. I told myself I had to go somewhere and do a shot that had more of a backdrop than the abysmal darkness of a sky entirely void of light, and Neph ended up reflecting how I felt in that environment. 

Home

We're much more at home in a chillier, darker environment. Which didn't even require any much desaturation, as the only colours in sight are Neph's skin and eyes.

• Like 19

20 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

I think this. I can see wanting to add more clarity and light to the face, maybe I would want to also dodge the clothing edges of the body to separate them from the background more but for my taste and this type of dance, the dynamic mood of the light falling across the body in the original is what I like most. 

This following comment isn’t a critique of your photo skills but I’ll make it anyway because that’s what ‘breaks’ this photo for me regardless of any edits. The first thing that struck me about the scene is that the hands and feet don’t seem to be planted, she’s not supported but it’s not a dynamic ‘caught in motion’ moment either.  Not a fan of this pose maker, they just don’t seem get the gravity and weight distribution right on most of their dance poses. I noticed they crop the feet from their vendor photos on several of the worst examples of them too. Does it matter if we are playing pretend for fun photos in SL? Nope, not a bit and if you don’t care, please disregard. But does it somewhat break the believability of a motion shot and therefore make the realism take a big hit? Yep. 

Yes, it is something about the chair that does not sit right. It can also be that I did the background in SL wrong. I made it myself. I should perhaps have a dark floor so my feet "sits" on the floor. It's all a learning. Many times I do not bother to edit so much, but I was in a mood for it.

The main reason I edited it was because of the face, yes.

This is a lighter edit. I think I overdid the added water "spray" in the first edit. I tried to give the skin a bit warmer tone, but keep the cold feeling from the neon lights.

flashd_009done.jpg

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

This is clearly edited, lol.

The start image is good too, but I wanted some color in the hair and skin. But looking at it, I wonder if the start image has a more wild quality to it.. Did I edit it away and made it too polished? Maybe?

I prefer the edited version - it looks more alive to me.

• Thanks 1