Trash overflow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2543 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The recent threads about inventory loss via the Trash raises a question about what happens when a user's Trash is overflowing and the 'Trash is overflowing' message appears. Do all the items in the Trash still download to the user's inventory? or are some not downloaded because of the overflow? It would make some sense to hold at least some items back but, If some are held back, then it may not be possible for the user to know why there's an overflow and do something about it.

The current most prominent case in the forum (3 threads on it) claims that the system wrongly moved a folder containing a huge number of items to the Trash. I don't doubt the claim because others have also reported the same thing. What I'm thinking is that, if some items are held back and not downloaded when the Trash is overflowing, then it wouldn't be possible to know why it's overflowing, and it wouldn't be possible to see the huge folder in the Trash and rescue it. The only alternative would be to delete what can be seen in the Trash, or empty it, and emptying it would lose everything in the huge folder that couldn't be seen and shouldn't have been in the Trash in the first place.

So it's important for us to know what happens when the system detects that the Trash is overflowing, and sends the user the 'overflowing' message. It's important to know whether or not the whole of the Trash is still downloaded, so that the user knows whether or not what can be seen in the Trash is actually reliable.

Edited by Phil Deakins

All contents of the Trash folder (or any inventory folder) should be visible no matter how many items are in the folder.
There used to be a max of ~10k items that could display in an inventory folder ( the HTTP CAP truncated download of per folder items to ~10MB per folder & each inventory item takes ~7kb memory)  but that limit was removed with the new AIS3 inventory API.

I guess it's possible that if an inventory folder contains a stupidly high number of items, they may not all display though, I'm not sure.
There's been a few cases of people with crazy amounts of items in a single folder, but what usually happens is the viewer freezes solid when trying to load the contents of that bloated folder & if the freeze lasts more then ~120 seconds, the viewer disconnects - or their login times out unless they clear cache because inventory view creation takes too long because of the flat inventory structure.

The trash overflow nag was added after such a case on the JIRA of a user who had  crazy number of items in trash - I forgot the exact number & I can't find the JIRA issue now, but it was something silly like 100k in trash  & that wasn't an isolated case, there were a few cases of login failures & viewer freezes caused by a huge trash folder.

The trash overflowing nag is just a nag, nothing different happens to trashed items when a user has enough in trash to cause the nag to appear.
The number of items in trash that will trigger the trash overflow nag is a debug setting, InventoryTrashMaxCapacity, which can be set to a higher or lower number.

• Like 2

Thank you, Whirly. So it's just a nag, and the system doesn't stop sending items to populate the folder. Therefore, what's in the folder should be seeable - within a couple of minutes, anyway. That answers my question most satisfactorily.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2017 at 6:31 AM, Phil Deakins said:

Thank you, Whirly. So it's just a nag, and the system doesn't stop sending items to populate the folder. Therefore, what's in the folder should be seeable - within a couple of minutes, anyway. That answers my question most satisfactorily.

That was pretty much confirmed in some of those threads, but they ARE long so easy to miss. My stuff disappearing had nothing to do with the nag as I empty often AFTER LOOKING THROUGH CAREFULLY :D. 

But yes an issue. One that needs to be addressed as it seems to be affecting more folks. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2543 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.