The UnQueering of Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 814 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sorry, but I'm still not clear on the Achilles thing or the angel thing.

Achilles is always pictured in a helmet that would only have slowed him down, and yet he stupidly seems to have nothing protecting his heels or ankles.

Is this just so that he won't be spotted immediately in battle?

And as for the angels, what happens if they take off the armor? Aren't they made immortal by The Creator anyway? Is the armor just to protect them from getting a sucking chest wound that will take years to heal up, or something like that?

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There has been a fair amount of discussion here, both recently and in the past, about the issue of “gender bending” and, in a more general sense, about identity in SL.  There is nothing new about this

??   There are a lot of people that posted in this thread that I haven't seen in ages.  

tl;dr?  I can't say I blame you! Here’s the executive summary: The anxiety people feel about not being able to ascertain the “real” gender and identity of residents in SL is a good thing, because th

Posted Images

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

Josh Susanto wrote:

Who would win in a fight between Achilles and a biblical angel?

What if they both had no armor?

Also: why does a biblical angel need armor, and why does Achilles wear it so many other places, but not where he actually needs it?

I know this wasn't a serious question, but anyway... in case of Achilles (and any other warrior in Ancient Greece), the answer has probably something to do with sweating and chafing in the hot, dry
Mediterranean climate, as well as the age-old military problem of speed and agility versus protection
:)

Shield and helmet (plus light armor parts such as leather arm bracers) offered enough protection in most combat situations, and any additional protection was not worth sacrificing agility for. One needed a running start in order to throw a javelin with sufficient force, and moving around on the battlefield required a great deal of maneuverability in general.
Besides, they didn't yet have the huge and heavy-boned war horses that were bred in medieval times to carry knights in full armor.

ZOMG what a ridiculously far-fetched and tourtuously overblown and dramatically enhanced breakdown of all the stuff that would not have any bearing on the fighting! Ahahahaha!

Of course, what would ACTUALLY happen is that while the angels sat around wondering how in the world a full grown man could have possibly been killed by an arrow to the back of his foot, a runaway camel, jealous and bitter for having been excluded from the opportunity for glory given by default to horses, would blame God for being discriminatory and would trample the angels out of spite.

Investigators would be soooo annoyed about having to do the paperwork they would mark the contest down as a "tie" because everyone's dead anyways and the sooner the ink dries the sooner they can get back to the tent with the naked ladies in it.

You know it's true...yes you do. :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks, that's much better.

I saw Clint Eastwood firebomb a giant spider in "Tarantula" and I saw Lee VanCleef shoot a dinosaur with a radioactive bullet in "The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms".

What kind of monster should Eli Wallach attack, and how should he attack it?

• 1 year later...

Personally, I think that someone being offended by the genitalia of the person behind the avatar says more about the offendee than the offender.

Furthermore, were the offendee to be offended that the offender's skin colour was not consistent, they'd quite rightly be called a racist. Likewise if their ethnicity were misrepresented.

Yet transgender people, it seems, are exempt from such protection; it is perfectly alright to refer to them as deviant, depraved, deceitful and diseased - I read the first 12 pages and caught Dogboat the Troll's interesting comments.

(Sorry for the thread resurrection)

• 6 years later...
On 4/14/2011 at 2:03 AM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

A case in point is a recent thread here, entitled “How can you tell if someone is male or female”?  It’s a question that is nearly inconceivable in “real life,” but

Sadly, as a Trans Ally, I have gay friends who are so ignorant of Trans issues that they ask this very question!

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Sadly, as a Trans Ally, I have gay friends who are so ignorant of Trans issues that they ask this very question!

One of the really astonishing (and wonderful) things is how far and how fast our culture has been realigning its understanding of gender, particularly with regard to the old binary notions. Obviously, we're still a very long way from a full acceptance of trans people, but the distance we've traveled, even since this thread was first posted, is breathtaking.

(And wow, holy necroposting! This one sure goes back some . . .)

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Image result for necroposting

:D??:SwingingFriends:

There are a lot of people that posted in this thread that I haven't seen in ages.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

When I opened this thread, I expected another clueless nooby to have dug it up from its grave. Instead, its you. Why? ?

• Haha 2
7 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

When I opened this thread, I expected another clueless nooby to have dug it up from its grave. Instead, its you. Why? ?

It's kind of a long story, but the beginning is just a few posts down on this page (though I'm pretty sure none of us expected this thread to be resurrected):

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/428733-̶w̶h̶o̶-̶w̶i̶l̶l̶-̶a̶w̶a̶r̶d̶-̶m̶e̶-̶m̶y̶-̶2̶̶̶0̶̶̶0̶̶̶t̶̶̶h̶̶̶-̶3̶0̶0̶t̶h̶-̶r̶e̶p̶u̶t̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶-̶p̶o̶i̶n̶t̶̶̶-i-want-to-thank-all-the-little-people/?page=4

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I certainly didn't! Pamela asked for content to like, so I half-jokingly searched to my earliest posts on this platform. I honestly wasn't expecting anyone to post here, resurrecting it.

Interesting period-piece though. Post Mark Kingdon era, but still a time when there were serious concerns that LL would mess up SL in its desire to go "mainstream."

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I certainly didn't! Pamela asked for content to like, so I half-jokingly searched to my earliest posts on this platform. I honestly wasn't expecting anyone to post here, resurrecting it.

Interesting period-piece though. Post Mark Kingdon era, but still a time when there were serious concerns that LL would mess up SL in its desire to go "mainstream."

Yep. I made her do it. ?

• Haha 3
  • 2 weeks later...

EDIT: I just realised this was necro'd. But feel free to read what I wrote.

I have yet to read everything here but you have a point and I agree with you. This is a huge issue. Why is gender so questioned these days in SL? Is it because people are seeking actual offline relationships? And even if they are, why does it matter if the person has an avatar of their assigned gender or not. Harrassing others for expressing themselves on a virtual world is a no-no to me. Besides, if you're looking for a relationship, there might be ways to make things work or you can cut your losses and break up. I have never fallen in love with a woman, but who knows what might happen. :P

I am a gay transgender guy (FTM) and I am using a male avatar now. My previous experiences were with female characters but I was repressing a part of myself.

My behaviour on the Internet and in SL is the same as offline (though certain communities can make you toxic). I try to treat people with respect and help them when needed.

In the case of avatars, I never made a clone of myself, it was always a desired look I could never get in real life. Trying to make a self-avi is awkward to me, it doesn't work out, I want to look different. For example, this avatar I'm using looks like a bulky, pale Goth dude and in no way could I ever look like that in reality. I haven't even started transitioning yet so I am expressing my gender identity through this fantasy world. I also have friends who are experiencing gender euphoria because they can look like a girl here and need not face any discrimination whatsoever.

I don't need to worry about my body or acceptance here - since I look like a guy I will be treated as one (99% of the time, anyway). I can have sex using a weiner if I so desire. In real life, that isn't a possibility for me lol. I can go to LGBT clubs with no problem here, without being stared at. That's cool. Awesome.

I love Second Life and how you can do anything you wish.

Edited by LennoxGregor
  • Like 2
17 hours ago, LennoxGregor said:

Why is gender so questioned these days in SL? Is it because people are seeking actual offline relationships? And even if they are, why does it matter if the person has an avatar of their assigned gender or not.

It's always been questioned, even since back in 2005 when I first opened my SL eyes. Yes, there are many who have the pipe-dream of having SL be eHarmony substitute. Because they have their finger on the "Buy airplane ticket nao" button. Yeah, right.

(Previously necro'd or not, it's alive now.)

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:
On 10/14/2018 at 10:41 AM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Mark Kingdon

Every time I see this name, I read it as Kinggoon. 

Somehow it seems fitting. :|

I always read it as Klingon, which might also be a bit fitting

• Haha 4
6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

OMG. Is this STILL floating at the top here? 

I feel like the proverbial dog returning to its vomit . . .

I plan to read this from the beginning one day, as you are such a knowledgeable and eloquent writer on the subject..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I plan to read this from the beginning one day, as you are such a knowledgeable and eloquent writer on the subject..

That's a very sweet thing to say, Luna! Thank you. ?

In some regards, it's probably pretty out-of-date: when it was written, it really did look as though there was some danger that SL was going to move in the direction of Facebook. But I suppose the basic principles articulated by everyone here still apply. And there are some really great contributions from others!

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I think a lot of trans people are holding their breath at the moment.

Yes. And I don't mean to sound glib about it, because I'm not under threat myself, and can only empathize as an ally. But I do think that we've turned the corner, in the long run. What we're seeing now is a backlash from ideologues who are trying to stop the future, and their viciousness is, at least in part, a function of their awareness at some level that they are going to lose -- indeed, really, have already lost.

Which doesn't mean that there isn't the potential for a great deal of pain and persecution in the coming years, of course. But I remain, overall, an optimist.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Because "persecution" and "prosecution" are NOT the same word. Yeesh. /me obviously needs another coffee.
  • Like 4
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 814 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.