Sign in to follow this  
Scylla Rhiadra

The UnQueering of Second Life

Sorry, but I'm still not clear on the Achilles thing or the angel thing.

Achilles is always pictured in a helmet that would only have slowed him down, and yet he stupidly seems to have nothing protecting his heels or ankles.

Is this just so that he won't be spotted immediately in battle?

And as for the angels, what happens if they take off the armor? Aren't they made immortal by The Creator anyway? Is the armor just to protect them from getting a sucking chest wound that will take years to heal up, or something like that?

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

Josh Susanto wrote:

Who would win in a fight between Achilles and a biblical angel?

What if they both had no armor?

Also: why does a biblical angel need armor, and why does Achilles wear it so many other places, but not where he actually needs it?

I know this wasn't a serious question, but anyway... in case of Achilles (and any other warrior in Ancient Greece), the answer has probably something to do with sweating and chafing in the hot, dry
Mediterranean climate, as well as the age-old military problem of speed and agility versus protection
:)

Shield and helmet (plus light armor parts such as leather arm bracers) offered enough protection in most combat situations, and any additional protection was not worth sacrificing agility for. One needed a running start in order to throw a javelin with sufficient force, and moving around on the battlefield required a great deal of maneuverability in general.
Besides, they didn't yet have the huge and heavy-boned war horses that were bred in medieval times to carry knights in full armor.

ZOMG what a ridiculously far-fetched and tourtuously overblown and dramatically enhanced breakdown of all the stuff that would not have any bearing on the fighting! Ahahahaha!

Of course, what would ACTUALLY happen is that while the angels sat around wondering how in the world a full grown man could have possibly been killed by an arrow to the back of his foot, a runaway camel, jealous and bitter for having been excluded from the opportunity for glory given by default to horses, would blame God for being discriminatory and would trample the angels out of spite.

Investigators would be soooo annoyed about having to do the paperwork they would mark the contest down as a "tie" because everyone's dead anyways and the sooner the ink dries the sooner they can get back to the tent with the naked ladies in it.

You know it's true...yes you do. :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks, that's much better.

I saw Clint Eastwood firebomb a giant spider in "Tarantula" and I saw Lee VanCleef shoot a dinosaur with a radioactive bullet in "The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms".

What kind of monster should Eli Wallach attack, and how should he attack it?

Personally, I think that someone being offended by the genitalia of the person behind the avatar says more about the offendee than the offender.

Furthermore, were the offendee to be offended that the offender's skin colour was not consistent, they'd quite rightly be called a racist. Likewise if their ethnicity were misrepresented.

Yet transgender people, it seems, are exempt from such protection; it is perfectly alright to refer to them as deviant, depraved, deceitful and diseased - I read the first 12 pages and caught Dogboat the Troll's interesting comments.

(Sorry for the thread resurrection)