How can I get a special font to my sl username

WanderleiMMA

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2516 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Alright, so I've been googling and I've seen a lot of responses none of them are helpful.  So please allow me to start off by saying I don't really care if they annoy anyone I've already made up my mind.  Anyone who doesn't like it can block me I really don't care lol.

Anyway, anyone with experience who knows how to do this and is willing to answer your help would be greatly appreciated.  I got ACIIS or whatever it's called off marketplace and I really don't like any of those fonts or symbols.

I tried "Unicode" but for some reason those codes don't work when typed.

Edited by WanderleiMMA

22 answers to this question

12 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I'd ask you to reconsider your decision.  Display Names that use special characters are hugely annoying to those around you, especially if they want to communicate with you.  They can't call you by name, unless they happen to have the same special characters handy and are willing to take the time to use them.  They can't pronounce your name in their heads, making it harder to remember you.  And if you use those characters in certain situations (for example, as a group tag) it can block you from logging in.

Your attitude that "I don't care what others think" is commendable in one sense; it's good that you have the strength of character to be willing to go your own way.  But in another sense, it demonstrates a lack of consideration for your fellow residents that may make it difficult for you to make friends.  Think about it.

I don't think I have ever had an issue with logging in due to a group tag having special characters in it. That does not make sense to me. If you have proof to back that up I will concede but I just don't think that's true as I have created multiple group tags with special characters.

As for how display names with special characters are "hugely annoying to those around you", who is annoyed? I'm certainly not. Maybe if you only have display names showing that could be mildly frustrating but that's not the other person's problem really. Seems like that would only effect the person getting "hugely annoyed". I've never had an issue with display names not allowing me to communicate with someone either as it's their legacy name that matters in search anyway. 

I guess I'm a little confused on your experiences. -shrugs-

Edited by Annika Velde
Poor choice of wording and it came off more rude than intended.
  • Like 2

On 5/5/2017 at 9:47 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

Of course, I'm very reactionary.  If it were up to me, there would BE no Display Names, and everyone would still have a username that consisted of both a given name and a surname.  Don't even get me started on THAT pet peeve.

I actually completely agree with that. I miss the surnames. It gave everyone a chance to have a unique (sort of) name. I think when LL did away with the surnames it made it more confusing for the new residents to figure out a name that they should pick because it's simply a one word name now. So instead of having Annika Velde they have to have Annika123 or whatever. 

I see your point about wingding type fonts too. That can be extremely hard to decipher what the person is trying to convey. I wasn't trying to be argumentative just trying to understand the other side a bit more. Sorry if it came off the wrong way! <3

1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

One account; 5 avatars; one L$ balance shared among them.

I especially like this part.  And since it is only one actual account, I only have to enter the billing info once. 

Display names - they are also good for taking / displaying your partner's name, which I think is nice.

32 minutes ago, WanderleiMMA said:

.  Anyone who doesn't like it can block me I really don't care lol.

what a strange statement... what if the people who answer here don't care either... you wouldn't get any tips....

you can buy notecard with fonts on mp, or get them on the www.

You will have to copy/paste most one by one to create words.

• Like 2

Just now, Alwin Alcott said:

a lot of I's in a post you accuse somebody else about biases...

Not really biases i suppose. More so experiences, I will update/edit. My apologies on the poor choice of wording. I didn't mean for that to come off as rude as it did.

1 hour ago, Annika Velde said:

As for how display names with special characters are "hugely annoying to those around you", who is annoyed?

In my personal experience.. my annoyances with it comes from hosting and trying to greet a few people arriving at once and deciphering their names as fast as I can before they leave as "nobody greeted"    (Mostly caused by my slowness due to new meds for a past brain infection)  

Just now, Cindy Evanier said:

In my personal experience.. my annoyances with it comes from hosting and trying to greet a few people arriving at once and deciphering their names as fast as I can before they leave as "nobody greeted"    (Mostly caused by my slowness due to new meds for a past brain infection)  

That makes sense. I see a lot of people greet using legacy names though. I have a less than everyone friendly display name and people tend to use my legacy name over that. Sorry about your condition though ):

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Annika Velde said:

I don't think I have ever had an issue with logging in due to a group tag having special characters in it. That does not make sense to me. If you have proof to back that up I will concede but I just don't think that's true as I have created multiple group tags with special characters.

[ .... ]

See this JIRA >>>>  Group created possibly involves "invalid character" preventing Login.

It's a long-standing problem, well recognized by experienced SL residents.

Just now, Rolig Loon said:

See this JIRA >>>>  Group created possibly involves "invalid character" preventing Login.

It's a long-standing problem, well recognized by experienced SL residents.

Ah! Thank you for providing the link. It doesn't appear that there have been reports of this bug for several years, so that's good. I'm unsure of the dedicated secondlife viewer version (I exclusively use Firestorm) but perhaps this has been fixed?

No, it's still alive.  It is marked as Unresolved in the JIRA.  Take a look. It's an annoyingly random bug, and very difficult to get around, once you bump into it.  The best way I know of is to get someone to eject you from the group, and then log in.  If you own the group, that can be almost impossible without appealing to LL with a support case.

Firestorm is not immune.   See http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/login_fail

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Annika Velde said:

That makes sense. I see a lot of people greet using legacy names though. I have a less than everyone friendly display name and people tend to use my legacy name over that. Sorry about your condition though ):

I've upset folks before by using legacy names.  I was informed that they had set a display name for a reason - for it to be used.  Since I don't use display names, I wasn't sure how to react or if that was the norm or not.  Since then though, I always try to use the display name if it is set.

21 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I've upset folks before by using legacy names.  I was informed that they had set a display name for a reason - for it to be used.  Since I don't use display names, I wasn't sure how to react or if that was the norm or not.  Since then though, I always try to use the display name if it is set.

Really? That's so crazy to me! I suppose people can get offended for less. 

28 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

No, it's still alive.  It is marked as Unresolved in the JIRA.  Take a look. It's an annoyingly random bug, and very difficult to get around, once you bump into it.  The best way I know of is to get someone to eject you from the group, and then log in.  If you own the group, that can be almost impossible without appealing to LL with a support case.

Firestorm is not immune.   See http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/login_fail

Wow! Yeah I have never seen this bug. I've been playing for a little over 7 years and have had various special characters in group tags (owned or not) that have never given me fits. I guess I'm lucky! 

Thanks for the insight Rolig!

16 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I'd ask you to reconsider your decision.  ...

Your attitude that "I don't care what others think" is commendable in one sense; it's good that you have the strength of character to be willing to go your own way.  But in another sense, it demonstrates a lack of consideration for your fellow residents that may make it difficult for you to make friends.  Think about it.

There you go... being rational again.

Also, is the attitude Character Strength or just basic narcissistic behavior? 

• Like 1

If we could go back to the beginning, I wish we would have:

• Account Name -- One single word; maybe the email address. Never seen in world.
  • Avatar Name: Old first and last names system.
  • Display Name: I know many people hate the character abuse but it is a valuable tool for non-english names.  Korean's for example need a way to display their names.

This would also make it easier to manage the 5 avatars per email.  One account; 5 avatars; one L$ balance shared among them.

Edited by Rhonda Huntress
too many details
  • Like 3

I'd ask you to reconsider your decision.  Display Names that use special characters are hugely annoying to those around you, especially if they want to communicate with you.  They can't call you by name, unless they happen to have the same special characters handy and are willing to take the time to use them.  They can't pronounce your name in their heads, making it harder to remember you.  And if you use those characters in certain situations (for example, as a group tag) it can block you from logging in.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Annika Velde said:

Really? That's so crazy to me! I suppose people can get offended for less. 

When people first create their accounts in SL, they're often not aware of the displayname / username dichotomy. As a result they might create dreadful usernames. Having done that, you could understand their adamancy about people using their more considered display names. People who take their parter's last name may be similarly sensitive.

I've watched DJs and hosts/hostesses struggle to greet guests with frilly unicode display names that can't be typed. When I encounter such people, I do my best to type an ASCII approximation of their name, but that can be frustrating when trying to keep my head above public chat water.

Some display names, including yours, are impossible to search. If I remove the prefix and suffix unicode characters, I can find your profile, but that again requires more than usual effort. If I were looking for friends, I'd try to make myself worth remembering and finding. One way is to provide some value to others. Another way is to keep the cost of remembering and finding me low with a simple, easy to remember and type, display name.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

Well, it's completely your choice, Annika.  Maybe I am too sensitive about it, but I'm very text-oriented.  When I see something like...well, I can't use my dingbat font here, but I'm sure you know what I mean...those characters don't make a sound in my head.  If I can't pronounce the name, at least mentally, it's really hard to grasp it.  

As far as Display Names vs. usernames, I and most of the people I know will use the Display name by preference, if an avatar is using one.  The assumption is that the Display Name is what they'd prefer to be called.  But again, if it's full of weird characters, or if it is an...unpleasant or derogatory name, let's say...then I'll use their username instead.

Of course, I'm very reactionary.  If it were up to me, there would BE no Display Names, and everyone would still have a username that consisted of both a given name and a surname.  Don't even get me started on THAT pet peeve.

• Like 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2516 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.