Academic Inquiry on User Statistics

Kami Singh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2507 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

25 answers to this question

21 minutes ago, Kami Singh said:

I'm conducting a study and wanted to know if user demographic statistics are available.  I am specifically looking for the number of males vs females aggregated by age groups.  Thanks.Kami

Male vs Female in RL or Male vs Female inworld avatars?  There will be a difference and many won't admit their RL anyway - and Linden Lab does not even ask.  For inworld avatars there is male, female, animals, supernatural creatures, and a variety of others.

So, there won't be any reliable stats anywhere, if any exist at all.  Ditto on age.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, Kami Singh said:

I'm conducting a study and wanted to know if user demographic statistics are available.  I am specifically looking for the number of males vs females aggregated by age groups.  Thanks.Kami

The only part of people RL ages that LL care about is "over 18 y/n".

RL Gender, they don't care about that at all.

And nobody in SL will give you accurate data, because a) they don't have any and b) because if they are willing to give you data, they are pushing their own agenda and c) because privacy about one's RL is protected by the ToS.

And last and by no means least... People in SL are generally sick to death with "Academic Inquiry" into their SecondLives, and some may even respond by forming an angry mob with pitchforks, tar and feathers...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Klytyna said:

And last and by no means least... People in SL are generally sick to death with "Academic Inquiry" into their SecondLives, and some may even respond by forming an angry mob with pitchforks, tar and feathers...

And intentionally lying just to screw up said Inquiry/Study

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

*gasp* No! Really?  People do that?  If you can't trust complete strangers on the internet, who can you trust?

Well, obviously...

Col. Mc King's World Famous Arkansas Grilled Turkey-Ham Nugget Burgers!

So fresh the Turkey-Pig doesn't know his nuggets are gone!

Delicious and Nutritious! Made with All Natural Ingredients!

Look for the Famous "Golden Haunches" sign in your town today!

;) 

To get this at least headed back in the general direction of the original question...

Many years ago, there was an "official" book published about Second Life.  "The Official Guide to Second Life", if I recall correctly.  It's terribly out of date now, but I remember reading one interesting passage.  According to the author (and very likely influenced by my memory, too) the percentages of Real Life male and female SL users did not match up with the percentages of male and female SL avatars.  I don't recall the exact percentages, but the bottom line was that there were quite a few RL males who were female avatars in SL.

I'm not at all surprised at this finding, for a lot of reasons.  For example, see my blog post, "Lots and Lots of Lesbians".

The only people that actually CAN know what you (the OP) are asking is Linden Lab as they (in theory only) have the names of the people behind the avatars. An AVATAR can change their sex at any time. "Chic" can be a guy or a gal and I have seen men avatars names "Sally".  Anyone can sign up under a fictitious name and sex so long as they don't plan on buying or selling linden dollars.  Lies happen all the time. 

This whole survey thing to my mind is stupid. 

It can of course be just nosy people, but it seems -- let's put that in quotes, "seems" -- like there are actual collage instructors giving out Second Life Survey assignments. As a former college teacher I see that as ludicrous. As a long time SL resident I see it as an earmark that the "teachers" haven't done their homework and have no clue really what SL is or how it works.  

Yes, this comment has been a long time coming LOL. Tonight is the night. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

You could always start a survey.  3 questions is all you need.

1. Do you have a Second Life Account?
  2. Is your primary avatar female?
  3. Do you have a Pinterest account?

Sort of reminds me of the standard in every chat room waaaaaayyyyyyy back when:  age, sex, location

22 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

You gave him licorice? What about the rest of us?

I suspect I will be much happier to give you something than you'll be to get it. Unless you can be exceptionally specific about what you want, you're better off without it. Just ask Alwin.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I suspect I will be much happier to give you something than you'll be to get it. Unless you can be exceptionally specific about what you want, you're better off without it. Just ask Alwin.

I want a hug.  A chocolate hug.

On 5/3/2017 at 3:30 PM, Kami Singh said:

It sounds like you think you are talking to Linden staff. You aren't. This is a user-to-user forum.

Contact Peter Gray, the marketing rep for Linden Lab. He may help you. I have seen various demographics reported from time to time. So, the Lab has them. Whether they will provide them is another matter.

• Like 2

On 5/10/2017 at 1:47 AM, Nalates Urriah said:

It sounds like you think you are talking to Linden staff. You aren't. This is a user-to-user forum.

Contact Peter Gray, the marketing rep for Linden Lab. He may help you. I have seen various demographics reported from time to time. So, the Lab has them. Whether they will provide them is another matter.

Thanks so much for responding Natales.  I did know that this was a user forum.  On the off chance that others might also take a look, I decided to add a bit more background information.  I will contact the individual you have identified.

Thanks,

Kami

• Like 1

On 5/3/2017 at 4:30 PM, Kami Singh said:

I am specifically looking for the number of males vs females aggregated by age groups.

38 minutes ago, Kami Singh said:

On the off chance that others might also take a look, I decided to add a bit more background information.  I will contact the individual you have identified.

The problem is that Linden Lab does not know whether the user is male or female.  As to age, they only know how many are under 18 and how many are over 18 -- or how many claim to be over. 

It is possible that they have a bit more info on the folks that have filed information with LL for tax reasons, but you will be hard pressed to get any valid stats from the company either.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2507 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.