Brilliant Idea for SL Lite

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Yes, I even tried Blocksworld but I can't remember what it was like now. Wonder why it never took off?

Something about the main web page gave me the idea that it was created for kids, so I never checked it out any further.

• Like 1

Mobile is a tough, saturated market and I don't think LL is willing to hire the big marketing guns it takes to rise above the rest, or know how to do large scale launches. Then they tend not to be able to manage a fast pace in development once the product is out there.

Not to say that they can't,  a sandbox-prim kind of thing has potential if you can add something special that Minecraft and similar ventures don't have.

And they don't understand how to achieve a polished product. For instance compare LL's Blocksworld with ROBLOX.

• Like 1

What it would have to be is an island that was for App only and it would be built by SL not players and maybe be some cafe's and such so people can chat with those online but really have little access to anything but im's.

Maybe some sort of game to earn lindens but there is to much out in the world that couldn't be converted down to a phone app.

It's a great idea although of course it's hardly any chance LL is going to launch something liek that in the foreseeable future. Even if they like the idea, right now they have their hands full with maintaining SL and developing Sansar.

There's one thing that may be important to keep in mind when we're talking abut an SL like application for lower performance hardware though: prims aren't actually less resource heavy than mesh.

Here is a lovely classic prim build, the change machine from Arcadia Asylum's Pawn Shop & Aracade:

590cd6717f5e1_ArcadeChangeoriginal.png.736edf1be8ac8925f32c3722874ba58e.png

When I rezzed it, I got the fps:

590cd6b99626f_ArcadeChangeoriginalfps.png.c200068a3865f53c923e89cf6b0a03e3.png

Here is a mesh replica:

590cd6d7bab0e_ArcadeChangemeshed.png.ba5a2cf24bf36572334d0c408d99881c.png

Very simple conversion, I saved it with Firestorm, cleaned out the superfluous polys in Blender and reuploaded. When I rezzed it in exactly the same spot and with exactly the same surroundings as the original I got:

590cd791da438_ArcadeChangemeshedfps.png.61fa0f19a403757fa4ff0e4f47fb2b9c.png

100.2 fps.

In this case it's only a one percent difference of course so it hardly matters but it is conistent and keep in mind that this is a very simple build. The differnece may be much bigger with more complex objects.

The full picture is a bit more complicated though. Much of the prim lag is caused not by the prim system but by three inherent flaws in the software that LL never got around to fix and in an online environment a prim will nearly always be faster to load initially because it requires less data to be transferred. And of course, although this is a quick-and-dirty conversion, it's still far better optimized mesh than what you usually see in Second Life. Unoptimized or poorly optimized mesh can be very hard on a graphics processor and it's not without reason mesh still has a reputation of being laggy in SL.

Edited by ChinRey
typos again
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vivienne Schell said:

Prims are meshes, too.

Strictly speaking no. Prims are algorithmic shapes, generated from mathematical formulas and more akin to belzier curves and nurbs and such than to mesh. But they have to be converted to mesh before they can be rendered and ocne that is done, they are simply meshes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.