Disappearing Alerts

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2542 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is likely ME and maybe a FEATURE LOL, but just now as I was commenting on a thread, an alert popped up saying that someone had replied to me. It was in black text at the bottom of the screen and gave me an options to see the reply. I wanted to finish my comment so I did that and when I posted the comment, that alert disappeared. I see nothing in the notifications about this "reply" now and I have no idea what thread it was on. 

So is this a feature?   Is there some way to get back to that notification and see what the reply was too? 

Long time website and database tester, so inquiring minds want to know *wink*.

The bottom pop-ups won't stay long on the screen. If they did reply to you, it will be in your notification list. If they were just replying to the thread you were in, you'll get the bottom pop-up but nothing in your notification list.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

I think that alert means someone is replying in the same thread you are posting in, tho not necessarily to you -- not sure.

It does just apply to the thread you are writing the reply in, and it's not specific to the person who received the alert. It's always safe to click to view now because it doesn't change anything concerning writing the reply. It might change what you write because it might contain further relevant information. There's no need to get the alert back because the new post automatically shows when you've posted yours.

I think it's an excellent feature. It allows you to see new posts without detracting from writing the reply.

On the other hand, the black box alert sometimes does apply to you specifically. For instance, I just got one that said that you liked a post that I'd written. I can happily close the alert because it'll still be there in the orange disc at the top when I've posted this.

44 minutes ago, Clover Jinx said:

I know many are visual so:

Untitled.thumb.jpg.74c5b0c6aea2d12235aa06f059a65ff3.jpg

Pam replied and all I got was this notification with nothing in my "bell" list.

It just means that Pam posted in the thread while you were writing. You could dismiss the alert and see what she posted after you've posted yours, or you could click to show the reply without affecting your writing of your post at all. I usually prefer to see the new post.

Edited by Phil Deakins

49 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

I think that alert means someone is replying in the same thread you are posting in, tho not necessarily to you -- not sure. 

Ahhh. OK. No I looked in my notifications and nothing there.  I normally LEAVE after I read, post, mark as read and GET BACK TO WORK - LOL.   Hence I guess I didn't see this before.

Thanks all.  It was Pamela that was "replying" :D. 

5 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

It just means that Pam posted in the thread while you were writing. You could dismiss the alert and see what she posted after you've posted yours, or you could click to show the reply without affecting your writing of your post at all. I usually prefer to see the new post.

Yes I know. I was posting a visual reference for those unsure what was going on to follow up with my first reply ... eh, you know what, never mind.

Some of my posts are missing today so maybe this one didn't show up either.

1 hour ago, Clover Jinx said:

The bottom pop-ups won't stay long on the screen. If they did reply to you, it will be in your notification list. If they were just replying to the thread you were in, you'll get the bottom pop-up but nothing in your notification list.

Perhaps I should have edited it with the pic. I tend to confuse people and they can't follow my tangents.

I just had several of the 'someone has replied' messages this morning, and it was interesting in that when I clicked on the 'show reply', nothing appeared to have happened.  At first I thought this was a problem, but now after thinking about it more, I think what happens is that it reloads the thread view, so that when you scroll down, the thread includes the new reply (without you having to manually refresh the page). 

28 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

That's amost correct. The page doesn't reload, but the new post is added to the end of it, so it's there when you scroll down. Webpages are greatly improved these days.

So you are saying that I was typing on the same THREAD that Pamela was commenting on but that it wasn't MY post she was commenting on -- hence no notification up in the top icons (message bar)? 

I guess that just never happened before :D. 

Yes, that's right. Whenever you are reading a thread, or typing a reply, and someone posts in the thread, you'll get a notification of the post. I know that that's the way it works when typing a reply, and I'm certain that it works the same way when you merely have the thread open - in/reading the thread.

If you click to see the post now, and you are at the bottom of the thread, as you would be when replying (that's where the reply box is), it will add the new post immediately above the reply box you are using. If you are only part way down the page, it will add the new post to the bottom of the page and, to you, it looks like nothing happened, but the post will be there when you scroll down.

I think it's a very useful feature. You can be replying to one person's post when a new post is added, and you can include a quote from the new post, and reply to it - all in the one reply you'd already started before the new posts was posted :)

Edited by Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2542 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.