Can't make purchases on Chrome

Sealh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2545 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So when I go to marketplace and put things in my cart and then go to check out I have a problem. When I click CHECK OUT it works fine and moves me to the final page. When I go to click BUY NOW...nothing happens. No loading wheel, nothing. The button just disappears. If I use a different browser like Firefox it works fine, but Chrome is my main. I've updated to the latest version and even tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

https://gyazo.com/d7423c1d3a13d87fa9f9621e25a56cda <-- gif showing what's up. 

4 answers to this question

Over the last couple of months I have noticed web pages failing to completely load. I can't find a problem in my connection. The web sites are all over the world so, it isn't place specific.

Flickr has the problem as do other sites. Some part of the page, CSS file, or scripts does not load. To build faster loading pages Content Delivery Networks are used. Parts of the pages may come from several servers. Anyone of those servers could be overloaded at any instant. Milliseconds later all may be well. But, you browser does not re-request failed requests. So, you end up with a broken page.

I can often hit RELOAD and then the page works. You can safely do that in the purchase stream of pages until you pass the BUY commitment. After that you may be making duplicate purchases. Credit card based payments have a time-limit. Any repeat within a minute or two is considered a mistake and the 'second' or subsequent purchase is rejected. In the SL Marketplace that may or may not be true. All you can do is try it.

When I contact support for any given web site doing e-commerce for an 'I can't purchase' problem they tell me to clear the browser cache and try again. If you get a broken page, Chrome, Firefox and others may never re-query the web site. The page in the cache is fresh and it gets re-used. So, even a page reload may not solve the problem. It just reloads the broken page.

F5 or Shift-F5, depending on the browser, is supposed to force a new query for the page and ignores the cache. It is faster then clearing cache, but doesn't always work.

Broken pages are also a possible sign of a bad connection to the problem site. So, if you test your connection, test to the problem IP address. Remember. A good Internet connection does not guarantee a good connection to all points on the Internet.

May 5 @ 12:45 SLT... I just got an error that too many people are accessing the site... my.secondlife.com. Profile requests are failing. SL web properties may be seeing DoS attack. Or it may be larger. Flickr went down for a couple of minutes earlier in the day.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2545 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.