What is the common 3D program to making clothes in SL

justadh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1898 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi, I got a plan to open a clothes shop and like the title i was said. Can you guys let me know what is the common 3d program to making clothes in SL? The program that most clothing creator using it. Thank you guys so much

9 answers to this question

Except for the handful of rich professional designers, most of us use Blender, which is free and powerful.  You'll find that most of the people who post in the Mesh forum are Blender users, so there's lots of support.  Plus a ton of tutorials on the web.  You will also need to have some way to create the textures you'll need.  Photoshop is the standard, despite some recent argument in these forums, but it's pricey. If you don't want to spend something like $30 a month for a license, try the GIMP.  It's a bit quirky but it can do most of the stuff that you would want Photoshop to do, and it's FREE.

Clothing is probably the hardest thing you can choose to create, so don't even think about it until you are already familiar with Blender and have had a lot of practice making other things. You'll just get really frustrated and make a lot of crappy things that will make you super discouraged.  Plan on spending several intensive months making furniture, small houses, and organic shapes.  Then, invest a small amount of money in Avastar, which most of SL's clothing designers use for the tricky parts of their work.  Avastar is well-supported and, like Blender, popular enough that the Mesh forum is full of advice and commiseration posts from users.

• Like 1

Blender is a very powerful and free generic mesh creation tool but since you're asking about clothes specifically, I think MakeHuman is a better option. It's free and open source and comes with a large selection of free and open source ready made clothes templates. You still have to export those templates to Blender to rig them but that's still a lot less work than making the meshes from scratch.

That being said, what the vast majority of clothes merchants in SL actually do, is buy ready-made full perm meshes on MP and add their own textures to them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Except for the handful of rich professional designers, most of us use Blender, which is free and powerful.  You'll find that most of the people who post in the Mesh forum are Blender users, so there's lots of support.  Plus a ton of tutorials on the web.  You will also need to have some way to create the textures you'll need.  Photoshop is the standard, despite some recent argument in these forums, but it's pricey. If you don't want to spend something like $30 a month for a license, try the GIMP.  It's a bit quirky but it can do most of the stuff that you would want Photoshop to do, and it's FREE.

Clothing is probably the hardest thing you can choose to create, so don't even think about it until you are already familiar with Blender and have had a lot of practice making other things. You'll just get really frustrated and make a lot of crappy things that will make you super discouraged.  Plan on spending several intensive months making furniture, small houses, and organic shapes.  Then, invest a small amount of money in Avastar, which most of SL's clothing designers use for the tricky parts of their work.  Avastar is well-supported and, like Blender, popular enough that the Mesh forum is full of advice and commiseration posts from users.

ah, yeah, thank you. I know how to modeling clothes because i was make alot clothes mesh before. but im newbie in SL so i want to know what is common 3d program in SL then i can make a clothes mesh conformable, similar to other creations. And i just started SL so i still dont know how to adding my own mesh to SL, i still need to find ut more about this hahaha ^^

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

Blender is a very powerful and free generic mesh creation tool but since you're asking about clothes specifically, I think MakeHuman is a better option. It's free and open source and comes with a large selection of free and open source ready made clothes templates. You still have to export those templates to Blender to rig them but that's still a lot less work than making the meshes from scratch.

That being said, what the vast majority of clothes merchants in SL actually do, is buy ready-made full perm meshes on MP and add their own textures to them.

Thank you so much <3

On 5/2/2017 at 7:28 AM, justadh said:

... im newbie in SL so i want to know what is common 3d program in SL then i can make a clothes mesh conformable...

Making clothes for SL is similar to other 3D worlds. But, SL has its very own collection of gotchas. Using AvaStar or MayaStar eliminates having to learn and avoid them.

When I was still trying to use plain Blender I was dealing with several little gotchas. Here is one: http://blog.nalates.net/2013/04/23/second-life-shape-export/

• Like 1

On 4/5/2017 at 8:16 AM, Nalates Urriah said:

Making clothes for SL is similar to other 3D worlds. But, SL has its very own collection of gotchas. Using AvaStar or MayaStar eliminates having to learn and avoid them.

When I was still trying to use plain Blender I was dealing with several little gotchas. Here is one: http://blog.nalates.net/2013/04/23/second-life-shape-export/

So youre an creator? If right, can u tell me more detail about making item in SL, bcz i dont know how item SL work even importing/export the mesh in game haha. Can we talking at FB or something

Explaining SL creation is way too large a task to take on. YouTube and Vimeo have hundreds of tutorials. 

3D modeling is no simple thing but, neither is it rocket science. Modeling for games gets one into optimizing models and their materials. Whether for SL or any other game most is the same. You can learn form new and old tutorials. Sculpting models and building efficient models is basically the same as it has been for years in all games. Texturing and animating the same.

Each game has its unique aspects. SL certainly does. Learning those gotchas isn't hard. Finding out about them is difficult. If you are new to modeling, then there is no difference. The SL way is just the way it is done. Coming from Unreal and other backgrounds creates different sets of what's different. So, there is no uniform or general this is what is different for people to build tutorials on.

The best I'll do for you is send you here: http://blog.nalates.net/tag/tutorials/

• Like 1

Dear @MissOeien

No.  Illustrator is a vector graphics program.  It's great for posters and logos.  Photoshop is a bitmapped graphics program.  It's great for photos and digital painting.  If you have Adobe Creative Cloud, you can swap projects back and forth between Illustrator and Photoshop (and other Creative Cloud programs), so that each program can be used for the parts where it's the best tool.

But you'll need some type of bitmap graphics application.  If you don't have Photoshop and don't want to pay Adobe's highway robbery subscription fees, you can use GIMP (which is free) or Corel's Painter (often on sale at reduced prices).  There are other possibilities...Google "Photoshop replacement" and you'll get lots of suggestions.

Here's where you can download GIMP:   https://www.gimp.org/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1898 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.