acedacid

Looking for modernish, sci-fi / horror RP

Does anyone here know an RP sim which is set in modern times or eventually one with setting not older than 19th century? Will take any active place with an interesting premise BUT one which is not rooted in fantasy genre. Would also love some supernatural and horror elements but fitting within sci-fi tropes.

To elaborate:

- Fantasy bits are okay but am looking for a place without every possible race and class under the sun. Would be grand if they fit sci-fi tropes; for example - mutants who evolved after humans who had been experimented by the government.

- Wanting an immersive setting that has a tad bit of a mystery such as a small town which seems too nice, a cult whole world loves which in reality is vile, world post apocalyptical event, humans struggling to accept alien refugees ... etc. 

- Horror I am into is usually ambience and psychological such as dystopias, conspiracies, brainwashing and all similar genres. What I am very not into are vampires, werewolves, elves, angels or demons. However, would not mind them in sci-fi frame such as vampires having an odd virus which government deals with or angels and demons being just different species from another dimension.

- Would be keen on Adult sim but not sex oriented. A hud which regulates game but is not overtly combat centred would be a plus. Para or semi-para RP style is my favourite to read and write as well. 

Missing Mile from ancient SL times would have fitten or Celar Proper which never had been an RP but sim design was based on mystery. Pleasantville (the one which had cave systems) might have worked but never have been there long enough.

As for other media examples: Silent Hill and The Secret World check out in games category for me while In The Flesh, Bedlam, Aliens (BBC 3 television show), Torchwood, Doctor Who (UNIT parts), Primeval, Utopia, AHS: Asylum and Black Mirror match as television shows.

Books are a bit harder but something like 1984, Hunger Games, In the Company of Shadows series and Inherent Gifts (it is the odd one out as it is about a world where slavery is legal due to humanity developing ESP powers - those with physical ones become slaves in some countries. Series follows a doctor who aids the rebels) would do. The only film I can come up with is Franklyn. 

As for RPs I checked and was meh about:

- City of Lost Angels - used to play there and faction RP is not for me. Would fancy one centred a role such as scrap gatherer, waiter, secret agent, cleaner and so on.

- Convergence - premise was nifty but also too much fantasy elements for me plus it seems not very active and the build is kind of dated. They focus more on the class and faction play which is not my cup pf tea.

- Crackden and Deadend - they are the most active but looking for a different feel. 

- Outbreak - considering this one but it seems to be dying. I do not like zombies but would be willing to give it a go.

Tl;dr - an RP where darknes lurks, world is bleak and new government rules a poor, small town ... with a tragic mystery.

I seem to be looking for the same elements you are, with about the same conclusions.

I will keep digging and post here if I find anything; but the RP Purity Wars (my term for the trend of personality conflicts destroying good sims) has eliminated a LOT of good RP locales in recent years.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ashy Calcutt said:

There's doomed ship.. its sometimes empty but Definitive  a horror based Rp place

Will check that out on Thursday - do not mind few people around at certain times just not dead silence ... though this might fit theme. Premise sounds intriguing (they have no website so I assume you are part of a retrieval crew for a space ship).

1 hour ago, AmandaKeen said:

I seem to be looking for the same elements you are, with about the same conclusions.

I will keep digging and post here if I find anything; but the RP Purity Wars (my term for the trend of personality conflicts destroying good sims) has eliminated a LOT of good RP locales in recent years.

That is ... actually the best phrase to describe all what went on in various RP circles :/ . Read about one which started drawing so many restrictions that in the end you couldn't make any negative characters. I don't ERP but plenty do so 'purity' also applies with the increase of 'your kink is ew and you are a bad person ... never mind if it is characters' either!' . Am sure plenty fit and like popular ones mentioned and even thos which have admin wars leading to all players being treated like children in a school.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2017 at 6:34 AM, acedacid said:

Will check that out on Thursday - do not mind few people around at certain times just not dead silence ... though this might fit theme. Premise sounds intriguing (they have no website so I assume you are part of a retrieval crew for a space ship).

I recently finished up Rping there last year its sad that a place like doomed ship just faded from people.. the lady who owns it is pretty awesome.. but again its pretty awesome even if its  to roam around

On 5/3/2017 at 11:34 AM, acedacid said:

Read about one which started drawing so many restrictions that in the end you couldn't make any negative characters.

*shudders* I think many seasoned roleplayers will be able to tell you SL-based horror stories of some kind or another like this. My partner and I have quit so many RP sims purely because of the restrictive or downright biased attitudes of the owners or already-existing cliques, it isn't even amusing anymore. I've all but given up on finding anywhere to RP these days.

5 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

*shudders* I think many seasoned roleplayers will be able to tell you SL-based horror stories of some kind or another like this. My partner and I have quit so many RP sims purely because of the restrictive or downright biased attitudes of the owners or already-existing cliques, it isn't even amusing anymore. I've all but given up on finding anywhere to RP these days.

It is kinda same in any RP community - heard all war stories about WoW lol. Was on SWtoR and boy it's been fun - one eventful night everyone argued about 1) vegans, 2) feminists, 3) bdsm and something I muted but forgot. Livejournal had bad-rpers-suck community which is dying but absolutely seen all there.

Did try some SL RPs but ran away fast for the very same reasons you mention; me and my husband kinda liked villains hence heard it became impossible to even be vaguely ICly negative. Alsoooo ... it's same game masters everywhere as we ran into same folks a lot (and they probably were same ones who ran an LJ RP long ago). Can be amusing for ... a month like some weirdo black comedy if you avoid speaking to anyone ever besides general chat and it is impossible if you need to ask for someone's black list or about a scene.

Pure ERPs are not my thing (unless it is some ... dystopian goverment forcing you to dance vertical tangos; not that ERP lacks anything - it's genre for me - would say same about comedy but never seen that on SL RP ads) but heard some still are not that affected as others - potentially when great minds meet and plot - it might be more than all skin rubbing bits (I'm not good with synonyms lol).

17 hours ago, Ashy Calcutt said:

I recently finished up Rping there last year its sad that a place like doomed ship just faded from people.. the lady who owns it is pretty awesome.. but again its pretty awesome even if its  to roam around

Did not go Thursday as planned but will take a look tomorrow and eh, nice sims are nice for sake of oogling and photoing plus seems loads of people like RP writing and sure there's forums or IRC (okay, not much on IRC now ...) but SL gives a nice visual benefit. Never done RP as a kid so skipped all LARPS and tabletop meets (my area had loads which ended in sightseeing IC crawls lol. Kid!me thought it boring) and any place could be re-vitalised with enough interest really.