Friend got account banned?

Talyn Cheviot

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2544 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

A friend of mine said their account got blocked somehow. They said they were told their account had been deleted, as well, which isn't apparently true since I can still find their profile and see them on my friends list. I was hoping I could find someone who could give me more information to find out the details regarding their ban, and find out if this was an actual legitimate ban or if my friend is getting somehow scammed? If something did happen and it's a legitimate ban, I can accept that, but I'd like to know more about what exactly they did and why they got banned. And of course, if it turns out to not be legitimate, I'd like to know what steps could be taken to try and regain control of the account.

Thanks for your time, if someone does get to this.

-Talyn

Edited by Talyn Cheviot

5 answers to this question

First off no names on the forums so you need to remove her name.

SHE, not you, needs to send in a support ticket and ask.  If she cannot log in to that account, then that will be difficult. 

IF she just got BANNED from a sim, then no big deal. She just needs to not enter that land (and if she was banned, she cannot). Land owners have autonomy in banning folks so nothing can be done about that, certainly not by you.

If she is actually your alt and she cannot log into her account then you may be able to send in a support ticket FOR her (as her alt). That used to be possible in the past anyway.  

If someone just told her that her account was blocked, that means nothing. She should TEST that of course.

No one will give your information on another account that isn't you, so you might have to prove somehow that she is you IF that is the case. Rules have become more strict over time :D.

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling
  • Like 5

Chic is quite right.  Linden Lab will never tell you anything about someone else's account, just like they will never tell anyone else about your account.  Privacy rules are very serious.  If your friend has a question, she will have to ask for herself.

And of course, we can't tell you anything, because we're all SL residents like you. 

• Like 4

I think LL sends out emails related to bans? I could be wrong but it may be worth a try for her to check her email.

As for

1 hour ago, Talyn Cheviot said:

They said they were told their account had been deleted, as well, which isn't apparently true since I can still find their profile and see them on my friends list.

This is because sometimes users may become unbanned, especially if they are false-fully banned. Why remove all their friends if it is a temporary suspension or false ban and make them have to go and find their friends again?

A quick way to check if someone is banned is to go to https://my.secondlife.com/USERNAME_HERE, if they are banned, it will show up as like so:

8683d6909c61f353ff5f23846dfa6185.png

Notice the "This name is unavailable". This usually means

1. OLD ANCIENT ACCOUNT which has not been moved over to the new system
  2. The user has deleted their account
  3. Linden Lab has purged their profile(EG: Contains content it shouldn't) without banning the account(simply changing their profile text should restore it) (I could be wrong about this but I do know they blank profiles sometimes)
  4. Linden Lab has disabled their account (For example, Grumpity Linden's old ProductEngine account https://my.secondlife.com/grumpity.productengine which was used before Grumpity became a Linden)
  5. The user is banned

In most cases, it is the last reason, or "banned".

As others have said, the best course of action to resolve/dispute a ban is to contact support by going to http://support.secondlife.com/create-case

Edited by Chaser Zaks

8 minutes ago, Chaser Zaks said:

I think LL sends out emails related to bans? I could be wrong but it may be worth a try for her to check her email.

As for

This is because sometimes users may become unbanned, especially if they are false-fully banned. Why remove all their friends if it is a temporary suspension or false ban and make them have to go and find their friends again?

A quick way to check if someone is banned is to go to https://my.secondlife.com/USERNAME_HERE, if they are banned, it will show up as like so:

8683d6909c61f353ff5f23846dfa6185.png

Notice the "This name is unavailable". This usually means

1. OLD ANCIENT ACCOUNT which has not been moved over to the new system
  2. The user has deleted their account
  3. Linden Lab has purged their profile(EG: Contains content it shouldn't) without banning the account(simply changing their profile text should restore it) (I could be wrong about this but I do know they blank profiles sometimes)
  4. Linden Lab has disabled their account (For example, Grumpity Linden's old ProductEngine account https://my.secondlife.com/grumpity.productengine which was used before Grumpity became a Linden)
  5. The user is banned

In most cases, it is the last reason, or "banned".

As others have said, the best course of action to resolve/dispute a ban is to contact support by going to http://support.secondlife.com/create-case

There is a VERY BIG DIFFERENCE between a "banned" account and one that is blocked or their account deleted.    

Well, since the name was posted in the topic post (though it should not have been) - the user does not come up via an inworld search and their account page shows the "not available" message that Chaser mentioned.  Since the user is not showing on the inworld search, that would indicate to me that LL has definitely done something to the account.  Note that even when accounts are removed, if the user is in your friends list, you would still be able to get to their profile for a while from your friends list - even when not available via regular search.

The only thing to be done is the user in question will have to create a support case.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2544 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.