GingerHenderson

Parcel Tricks - Protected Roadside

Is this against Tos in any way? As i fly along in SL I seen this parcel (see picture) is for sale. Main parcel has 'FOR SALE! Route 7. Protected Road' in title. Parcel also set at low L$ for a roadside ie 1.0 L$/m2 but the small roadside ones are at 50 L$/m2. All are owned by same owner.

I see many like this and most are from the same agent. Others could be alts or similar tactics. need ot know if from a LL perspective this is in any violations or the ToS or CS. It is a sort of trickery and buyer be ware.

Snapshot_001.thumb.jpg.054f85b5f1ec3e8c9701f133c2ad529f.jpg

• Like 1

Yep. They violated the Land-Cutting prohibition. You may want to enlist the help of the Arbor Project to add more ARs, but you can go ahead and report it yourself right away. I'd advise including that link to the policy in the text of the abuse report because not all those tasked with responding to ARs are completely versed in all the policies -- and frankly, this particular scam has gotten less common in recent years, as the probability of payoff has plummeted. (That's a nice way to say this is a clueless scammer living in the past.)

• Like 3

Oh I was busy writing a reply but Qie beat me too it! ;)

Only one thng to add: 1 L$/m2 for what looks like rather bland generic mainland parcel in the middle of Gaeta 5 doesn't seem like a good offer to start with, even if we ignore the obvious land cutting issue.

Edit: In case anybody wonder what this land cutting is all about and why the Arbor Project group was founded to fight against it, it goes like this:

You split off a small piece of the land you want to sell - preferably a square right in the midle but at the edge like this will work too -  and put the main plot on the market for a very good price. Then, when somebody buys it, you add some really ugly content to the small parcel and offer to sell it for a sky high price. It used to be a very common scam and it's one of the main reasons why mainaldn even today has a poor reputation among many SL'ers and probably one of the main reason why so much of mainland is abandoned.

Edited by ChinRey
Adding more details
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Yep. They violated the Land-Cutting prohibition. You may want to enlist the help of the Arbor Project to add more ARs, but you can go ahead and report it yourself right away. I'd advise including that link to the policy in the text of the abuse report because not all those tasked with responding to ARs are completely versed in all the policies -- and frankly, this particular scam has gotten less common in recent years, as the probability of payoff has plummeted. (That's a nice way to say this is a clueless scammer living in the past.)

Thanks Qie. Arbor Project is the inworld group correct? 

• Like 2

On 5/1/2017 at 10:50 AM, Qie Niangao said:

That "Land-Cutting Prohibition" is really a thing of joy and beauty to behold. Note how carefully it is crafted. Remember that it took four long years of groups of us lobbying Jack Linden and Philip Linden and others to stop this horrid practice of "ad-farming," where people would deceptively sell land like this, and hold back a square or a "donut hole" or a piece under water which they would then put for sale for some outrageous price, like $10,000 for a 96m piece, and put some ugly thing on it to force you to "buy back the view". The Lindens should have dealt with this swifty and thoroughly to keep Mainland value but instead, they let it fester, for two reasons: 1) it fulfilled their ideological bias toward extremes of expression -- despite the fact violated their TOS 2C clause about "affecting the enjoyment of Second Life of others," a kind of "Do Unto Others" clause; 2) it drove buyers to private islands which they could sell for more. Really, letting the ad farms and the Bush guy and Mr. Lee's Hong Kong and all those other culprits of yester year to fester and ruin beautiful waterfronts and meadows and mountains was a crime. But nothing would get the Lindens moving on this. I'm not quite sure what finally turned the table for them. Maybe it was a slow-down in purchase of brand-new sims, where people stopped believing they would remain pristine for long. Maybe it was a slow-down in the sale of premium accounts which are used for mainland primarily. 

I remember spending many hours in Linden office hours on this subject and also having protests with signs that we wore in the welcome areas. It was so hard!

There's also a rule that you can't have advertising on too many parcels on one sim -- there were a number of culprits on that score too.

It doesn't happen as much now but abuse reports do not equal instant response always which is why it's good to have a group do it. 

To me, the biggest problem on the Mainland now is that people buy land, put up a big piece of plywood or a half-finished or ugly build, then go away for ever -- or maybe a year -- or maybe only six months, but long enough to ruin the view for miles around. Sometimes if you keep checking and find these people finally gone from the people's list, their land can be formally abandoned and cleared. But not always as they might buy a year membership or leave a credit card to debit and don't care. I wish sometimes that there was a rule that if you have not logged in for 90 days, or make it a year if you must, everything on your land auto-deletes. Of course, many would howl given the precious attitude there is to "content" on both the users and the Lindens' side. Yet staring at plywood boxes for months on end from people impervious to IMs who never log on is a huge annoyance and destroys property values.

Somehow, I think progress could be made on this issue.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

13 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

If https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-5671 was implemented land owners and their guests wouldn't have to see their neighbor's ugly prims.

Given the fact that you can now set your parcel such that people outside your parcel do not see the people inside, I would think that this request would be the similar (though reversed) and the next logical step in allowing us to control our world a bit more.  I'd love it.  

I have gotten around the issue at my main home by using Firefox and doing a permanent derender of some objects.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

If https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-5671 was implemented land owners and their guests wouldn't have to see their neighbor's ugly prims.

Not the best suggestion in my opinion ("derender all outside parcel"). Derender selectively would still leave landscape, etc. while hiding your neighbor's ugly shack/hovel/giant building/spite fence.