How can the alpha mode of objects change by itself?

Lailantie Core

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

On the parcel I rented, all my plants that were set by default to "alpha blending" suddenly were set to "none" and looked weird. They went back to normal when I edited them all one by one and checked alpha blending again. I have the same plants rezzed on a different sim, and there, they all still looked normal. There is only one person who is allowed to edit my objects, my partner, who is not at home, has no access to a computer and wouldn't walk around and change the alpha mode of my plants. How can prims change their alpha mode themselves?

I had something equally weird happening a few weeks ago, when one of my many shoreline prims which are no modify and the scripts deleted, changed their tint and texture. I couldn't fix it, I had to rez a new one. All the other shoreline prims still looked fine. Nobody could have "done" this.  I wonder if this is just me, and I am really curious what could have happened here.

Thanks all,

Lailantie Core-Amat

*edit - after further investigation I found it's only the mesh plants that were concerned, and all of them. Some sculpted plants that were set to alpha blending haven't changed to none. Also, mesh plants that were set to alpha masking kept their setting.

Edited by Lailantie Core

4 answers to this question

If we took up a collection of "strange occurrences" concerning the asset server in Second Life, we would have several large books at least. STUFF HAPPENS which is why I shy away from no copy items. And aside from a few furniture stores and gacha items, no copy is not the norm these days. THAT I am happy for. 

Just take a deep breath and count it as yet another magical experience in our virtual world. That, or get an ulcer and that is fun at all!

It could be this bug which should be fixed now, but some have reported it still seems to happen occasionally.
If you are using an outdated viewer that doesn't include the initial fix though, it is fairly likely to happen.

BUG-8715 - Material enabled objects with a diffuse texture set to alpha blending mode randomly (but often) change to alpha mode none locally. If the avatar that sees this breakage has modify rights over the objects, ALL observers see this change.

This is interesting, thank you Whirly. It was actually quite freaking that objects change their attributes without any interaction, that's why I posted the question. What happened before... I had changed the size of my texture cache on my laptop and didn't know I should have cleared cache, so I had texture corruption. I cleared my cache, went to a water sim to load inventory, tp'd back to my parcel and all the alpha blending mesh objects were set to none. This pretty much corresponds to this description: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-11333

But one thing is different. My alpha masking objects kept their alpha mode, my sculpted objects kept it too, it was only the alpha blending objects that went to none. These were plants bei Reid Parkin (Wild Bushes and Bush light green), an alligator shrub by Skye, a field of grass and flowers by Hayabusa and potted plants by Soy. It was on this parcel where I had the texture corruption before. I could see it on both computers, and also my alt could see it. However, on another sim with the same plants, it didn't happen and I didn't break the plants by looking at them... I tp'd there after I fixed the others and my viewer kindof learned their alpha mode maybe...

Thanks again for your replies Whirly!

The question that remains and also freaked me out a while ago was the tint and texture change of one piece of my mesh shoreline that was no modify and the scripts were deleted. I wonder if some God Mode Linden walked by and examined this piece of shoreline :P

Take care

Lail

*another edit... no rule without exception. I just noticed in a more awake condition that my Jian-Ash Trees were affected too, and they have alpha masking.

Edited by Lailantie Core
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.