Embedding photos rather than attaching please?

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2536 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There are many wonderful things about the new forums, but the attaching photos is very problematic. Sometimes (well often for me) we need to continue writing after adding a photo. OR we need to add one photo, explain what that is about, add another and explain etc -- especially when we are trying to help someone learn how to do something. 

I have had issues with this from the beginning and if we CAN type after adding a photo (even editing later doesn't work for me) then I guess I need some instructions. Instead I had to add a second post just now which certainly isn't the best method.

So, if an embedded photo option could be added to the toolbar buttons that would be great.  I guess I could upload the photo somewhere (I don't use a picture storage place) and then link but really, I just want to be able to upload screenshots quickly when explaining how to do something and ALSO be able to continue on with the explanation.

Thanks for considering. 

• Like 1

Before dropping an image, I type in a few extra carriage returns, or write all the paragraphs first, then move the cursor back to where I want to drop it. That gives me a place to put the cursor after the image if I want to type more. If I want to drop more images, I just make sure there's at least one blank line or some text below the cursor. That was a hassle at first, but now it's habit.

You mention uploading images somewhere. Why not directly into the post?

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

I drop all photos into the little drop box.  Then I type what I want, hit carriage return, click the plus sign on the first photo I want to embed,

<photo ends up here>

click the picture and resize if I want, place my cursor to the right of the picture and hit enter to get a new line, type some more stuff, enter again, click plus on next photo

<photo ends up here>

click the picture and resize if I want, place my cursor to the right of the picture and hit enter to get a new line, repeat as needed.

ETA:  Side note - In Firefox, once the photo is embedded, I can click the photo and I get the resizing outline such that I can resize via dragging a node in or out.  However, in Chrome, I cannot get that for resizing and instead have to double click the photo and specify a different size in the photo edit window.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

With IE, I just hit enter after inserting pic and begin to type.

12.7.16_036.png

Hmmm it put this in here even though I had taken it out, but it still let me edit and type after it. I see the cursor blinking in the middle of the right hand side of the pic, hit enter and type away.

Edited by Clover Jinx

8 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Before dropping an image, I type in a few extra carriage returns, or write all the paragraphs first, then move the cursor back to where I want to drop it. That gives me a place to put the cursor after the image if I want to type more. If I want to drop more images, I just make sure there's at least one blank line or some text below the cursor. That was a hassle at first, but now it's habit.

You mention uploading images somewhere. Why not directly into the post?

I WANT to upload them to a post :D. That was sort of the point and we used to be able to do that. I will try your cursor trick though. 

Workarounds -- the next frontier. 

thanks.

5 hours ago, Clover Jinx said:

With IE, I just hit enter after inserting pic and begin to type.

12.7.16_036.png

Hmmm it put this in here even though I had taken it out, but it still let me edit and type after it. I see the cursor blinking in the middle of the right hand side of the pic, hit enter and type away.

Obviously things work differently in different browsers. 

Very nice photo though!   I'll keep working at it.

43 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I WANT to upload them to a post :D. That was sort of the point and we used to be able to do that.

We no longer have a gallery, true.  :(

You can drag and drop files at the bottom of the edit box.  Then place you cursor where you want a picture and click the + sign on the photo's thumbnail.

3feae6408bce0e778701aa9482e30f77.png

Clicking the + will insert the attached pic at the the cursorcat.jpg.42264e0c280f9114661a7d1378003d76.jpg like so.

While there is no gallery, you can always reuse pics you have loaded like this. Just click insert other media, the click insert existing attachment and you will see a list of all your previously attached pics.  You can insert more that one like that and then drag and drop to rearrange.
5904cf458708c_Photoof_Starbucks_outfit.png.dc0109493cef8f46e84ede768e795897.png

You can insert a pic at the cursor by clicking the plus5906a7a24aa7e_847744Varga-Girl-Posters.jpg.8ce5c4ac7ab4882bd244d232ef3bb656.jpgand start typing again.  Or move the cursor with the arrow keys Some-Days.jpg.18115b64e73fce657b753b6510e80216.jpgto skip over a picture if you are on the wrong side.

It is different than the old way and I like it better this way for the most part.  I do miss the gallery, tho.  I can't browse other people's pictures in the new forums.

Edited by Rhonda Huntress
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2536 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.