SL not identifying faces of my mesh properly

Imagin Illyar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2545 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm uploading an outfit from Blender. It is several different parts joined.  I've assigned each part a separate material in Blender before joining so that I can use a hud in SL to assign different colors to the different parts as faces.  I've done this before without any problems but this time the different colors aren't going to the right places.  One part is getting half colored and the rest of it is somehow getting colored along with another part.  It's most frustrating!  Anybody ever see this before?  A point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

57 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

I doubt this is the answer in your case but just to eliminate the possibility, that mesh doesn't happen to have a very high poly count?

Yes, actually it is fairly high.  Doable but pushing it :)

11 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

... and you haven't defined more than 8 materials, right?  The only times that I have seen something like that, it's been because I screwed up in defining faces in Blender.

Nope, just 4 materials

34 minutes ago, Imagin Illyar said:

Yes, actually it is fairly high.  Doable but pushing it :)

That may be the reason then. If I understand correctly, you get the kind of problems you describe long before your each the official triangle limit.

I don't do high poly meshes myself since they're not really suitable for dynamic virtual environments so I don't remember the details but you should find some info if you search through the this forum.

BEFORE EXPORTING ---

Check and make SURE that your materials are assigned correctly after joining. Sometimes (really fairly often) Blender makes assumptions even AFTER you have assigned materials. So it could easily be that the file you are exporting no longer has the correct materials assigned AFTER JOINING. 

If that is the issue just reassign the faces to the materials correct and reexport.

I've lowered the poly count significantly - less than half of what it was - whole thing is now 28 land impact.  It isn't the material label names - tried that.  Blender appears to be keeping the materials properly after joining as I made each one a temporary different bold color and the parts are still the same colors after joining.  I did some testing and the one part that I think may be causing the problem uploads when I join it to the rest but if I try and upload it alone I get an error MAV_BLOCK_MISSING Upload_InvalidAsset - what does that mean?

The poly count details ChinRey mentioned are this. If your mesh has more than 21844 triangles in a single material, the importer will create new, additional materials. This is the case with meshes exported from Blender, because Blenders collada exporter references geometry in polylists, rather than in triangles. Which means there are ways to avoid this limitation by exporting the mesh from other software. Autodesk FBX converter for example.

The MAV_BLOCk error could be many things. First of all, use the official Linden Viewer to import mesh.
It could be to small triangles in the mesh. What happens if you select a simple cube as the physics shape under the Physics tab?

Edited by arton Rotaru
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, arton Rotaru said:

The poly count details ChinRey mentioned are this. If your mesh has more than 21844 triangles in a single material, the importer will create new, additional materials. This is the case with meshes exported from Blender, because Blenders collada exporter references geometry in polylists, rather than in triangles. Which means there are ways to avoid this limitation by exporting the mesh from other software. Autodesk FBX converter for example.

The MAV_BLOCk error could be many things. First of all, use the official Linden Viewer to import mesh.
It could be to small triangles in the mesh. What happens if you select a simple cube as the physics shape under the Physics tab?

I think you're right.  It accounts for everything.

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

Can you upload as a LINKSET and then join in world?   

I'm going to work on that assumption.  

Ok, problem solved!  It was a matter of too many triangles assigned to one material.  When I split the one large bit I have into 2 materials all is fine.  I also managed to reduce the polycount overall by half.  I'm glad this problem happened now, it gave me the opportunity to learn to reduce polygons more than I thought possible and still retain a really sharp look.  

• Like 2

On 29.4.2017 at 3:58 PM, Imagin Illyar said:

I'm glad this problem happened now, it gave me the opportunity to learn to reduce polygons more than I thought possible and still retain a really sharp look.  

That's a very good lesson to learn. ^_^

Don't stop learning though. There are always more ways to increase the efficiency of your builds, I don't think anybody can claim they know every single trick and technique.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

That's a very good lesson to learn. ^_^

Don't stop learning though. There are always more ways to increase the efficiency of your builds, I don't think anybody can claim they know every single trick and technique.

I started with a LI of 57 and got it down to 9.  I'm kinda proud of that :)  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2545 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.