avatar animations dont align correctly

CollidingNeurons

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2548 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is likely a newbie type question but me and my girlfriend are having issues getting animations to align using certain huds,, We are both pretty new and i dont know a lot of the technical stuff or terminology but we are trying to use things like walk and hugging huds and huds attached to objects and usually we are not in line or matched correctly. Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated ,

Unfortunately there is no easy answer to this. Animations involving multiple avatars must take into account the sizes of the avatars being animated. In SL that size can be anywhere from 4' to 9' (or larger/smaller using deformers) and there is no way for an animator to account for this. So they assume the difference in size between the two avatars, usually making the assumption that the woman will be shorter than the man. How much shorter? This varies from animator to animator. The difference might be a realistic average of a few inches, or they might assume a difference of a couple feet. There is no way for them to know the sizes of you and your girlfriends avatars, and no way for you to know the intended size difference of the animations.

The only thing you can do is adjust the sizes of your respective avatars. If the animations assume more of a size difference then either she needs to shrink or you need to grow. If the animations assume less of a size difference, you might want to consider shrinking your avatar. Just try adjusting your height until something works.

• Like 4

Like Penny suggested the animations themselves are going to interact differently depending how much of a variance there is between yourself and the avatars used as reference. Some HUD's do allow for some adjustment but not in all cases.

While we're on the subject this will also influence how poses and other animations, like in AO's will interact with your avatar so its always advisable to demo when possible.

Only height difference is fast and easy adjusted under hoover height, found in "Edit appearance". On the first tab, "body".

Firestorm has a shortcut, found in their small symbol down to the right on the screen.

Sure, advanced furniture has that "adjust poses" menu. I find it tedious, with x, y, z. You can experiment with it. Maybe the best is you going a tiny bit down, and she a tiny bit up.

When you stand up from the furniture, adjust it back to normal, in the middle. For hugging huds and standing, dancing, there is either accept that you are not totally in correct match with the ground, or edit your shapes, as Penny already said.

For holding hands, there is shoulder width and arm length that play a role too.

Animations that don't match is a common problem in SL.

3 minutes ago, CollidingNeurons said:

thanks all for your replies i appreciate it, but's more of a side to side issue, then a height one it seems like the angles are wrong and the directions arent aligned, but it doesn't sound like there's an easy fix for this i guess

As someone that both blogs (hence lots of furniture to test) and makes animations I can tell you that a large percentage of animations and poses don't work for everyone (like me). So often I end up standing in front of the furniture. As a designer the best thing you can do is to have different sized alts and friends test animations before you buy for your furniture. If you make animations the same advice applies. I try to make my animations (and poses) so that they fit the majority of people, testing on many avatars. Honestly, that makes my animations not as exciting as some others but at least I don't have hands running through legs and heads and such LOL. So I live with the mundane aspects.

The best you can do as a consumer is TEST with both you and your friends BEFORE buying. There will likely be SOME animations that will work for you.  That is of course unless you just want to change your avatar shapes.  You should NEVER (IMHO) buy AOs, poses or animations without thoroughly testing. If you do, you are bound to find some that need to be discarded.   

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2548 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.