Deploy Plans for the week of 2017-04-24

Caleb Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server (no roll):

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/17#17.04.03.325159

Second Life RC BlueSteel (same project but will be updated):

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/17#17.04.24.325754

Scheduled Wednesday 2017-04-26 07:00-10:30 PDT

Second Life RC LeTigre: (new project)

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/17#17.04.21.325687

Second Life RC Magnum (same project but will be updated):

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/17#17.04.24.325754

Edited by Caleb Linden
  • Like 1

Caleb,

I don't see the point of your posting of the release notes to these deployments.

They don't concern the bug and the devastating behaviour we're discussing in this thread.

These releases concern things like "Fixes an issue where large numbers of objects could be returned after a rolling restart" or the "can't move object" bug which I've seen.

But that's nothing like a bug that moves a folder you haven't deleted into trash randomly (or perhaps related to some deletion within the folder, who knows), the gives you a message "Your Trash is Overflowing", prompting you to flush the trash -- and lose a folder you had no intention of deleting and indeed didn't delete. Read the accounts here: random folders ending up in trash, people not sure they put them there (I'm sure I did NOT put them there); some people suddenly rescuing large folders never intended as entire folders with thousands of objects to end up in trash; some people flushing trash and losing everything, with Customer Service telling the customer that if he has flushed trash, that is his problem, and nothing can be reversed.

But the customer has only flushed trash because of a sudden and persistent warning about overflowing trash! 

This is a serious, serious issue. It cost me 15,000 objects that I don't see LL able to return although in theory it is likely possible. It cost other people in this thread thousands of objects. I don't see how this is related to "server returns objects" or "object can't move".

Yes, I saw. This is a VERY GOOD EXAMPLE of how MISLEADING the "NEXT UNREAD TOPIC" notice is at the lower-right hand corner. You think you are reading the next post in a thread. You think the post you're seeing has been posted *in the thread you're inside of*. But...You're not, you're reading a new "topic". Glad to see you have all the time you've always had for the forums, Phil. How's business?

Edited by Prokofy Neva

OK guys, play nicely please.  I for one do not wish to return to the flaming and bad blood spilt in these Fora in past times.

@Prok: Caleb's posts are vital in my view to allow us to post sensibly here if things inworld do NOT go as the techs at LL expect (this happens rarely but sufficiently often to warrant this thread).  Your annoyance ably elucidated in another topic in this thread should not result in ill-advised and bad-tempered posts in this one.  From my conversations inworld and out, I suspect that these asset-server losses are a function of the hardware not necessarily the software so while they MAY be BUGS, they may be unavoidable.  That does NOT mean that they cannot be made less permanent and damaging.

@ Phil: Prok's posts are not all about one individual.  Prok represents a large number of users that have suffered losses and it is well past time that something was done to ameliorate this situation.

Edited by Ayesha Askham
grammatical pedantry

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.