Stop Walk Animation

Ruthven Ravenhurst

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2530 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I made an elevator/lift that moves up and down as well as side to side to get to a specific location. Not relevant, as it's already done a bunch of different ways. What I want to do is stop the avatar from playing the walking animation when the elevator is moving them along the x and y axis. I tried to write a hud/attachment script that would work sort of like an AO. On a timer it would check if the walking anim is playing, and stop it. Using the controls to turn on/off the timer. It didn't seem to work, or perhaps I had the timer running too fast for the control event to run? 

I might try llSetAnimationOverride instead. Not sure it would be any better, but it's simpler for this application - no timer, no need to check animation state - if it works.

Actually, I don't think you really need to check the animation state anyway. I don't know there's a downside to pushing llStopAnimation, whether the anim is playing or not. But it seems cleaner to just override the "Walking" state with the default "stand" animation.

(EDIT: And maybe "Striding" as well as "Walking". Maybe watch the animation info while the effect is happening to figure out what anim is really playing.)

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 1

Now that I've gotten in-world to play with this a bit, I'm not sure there's any way to get satisfactory results. The problem is conflict with other, already active animation overriders. They're going to see that "Walking" animation state no matter how we try to override (or stop) its animation. Hence, whatever that AO uses for "Walking" will pop through our "stand" -- unless we instead use some higher priority anim that locks every joint the AO's walk will move.

I wonder... I seem to encounter this whole effect less with KFM than with standard physical elevators. Based on "already done a bunch of different ways" you've probably tried both, but just throwing it out there, with only the tiniest anecdotal evidence that KFM works any better.

4 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Now that I've gotten in-world to play with this a bit, I'm not sure there's any way to get satisfactory results. The problem is conflict with other, already active animation overriders. They're going to see that "Walking" animation state no matter how we try to override (or stop) its animation. Hence, whatever that AO uses for "Walking" will pop through our "stand" -- unless we instead use some higher priority anim that locks every joint the AO's walk will move.

I wonder... I seem to encounter this whole effect less with KFM than with standard physical elevators. Based on "already done a bunch of different ways" you've probably tried both, but just throwing it out there, with only the tiniest anecdotal evidence that KFM works any better.

The elevator I'm using is done with KFM actually. I thought about using the seat method, but didn't want to limit it to how ever many seats are put into the object. And for "realism" think of say an escalator. You walk up and start moving with it automatically. Or the stairs in Hogwarts. Say you're walking up a flight of stairs and they start moving, you'll move with them, but won't necessarily keep walking. Or a moving sidewalk, you step on, it moves along its path while you stand and then step off when you get to your destination

The elevator I used before (although I only used it for up/down) had a problem where it made your avatar "crouch" as it moved.  I guess this was SL's attempt to cause your avatar to change position in response to being "moved" up or down.  I assume the "walking" is similar, perhaps it is as if the avatar is being "pushed" along? In my case, it would probably not be hard to fix with AO because "crouch" is not necessarily an animation I am already replacing.  (Crouch is overrated.)

More folks than I thought might be okay with the llSetAnimationOverride approach. Very cursory testing with the Firestorm built-in AO suggests it may be better behaved than llStartAnimation-scripted AOs based on the venerable Franimation / ZHAO. I suspect more modern scripted AOs that themselves use llSetAnimationOverride might also work okay.

Now, I ordinarily never use that Firestorm AO (nor llSetAnimationOverride-based scripted AOs) so my little test could be completely bogus, but it might be worth a look.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2530 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.