Warning! Don't Let This Happen to You!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2429 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Bumping this again as it isn't fixed. Folders are still ending up in VERY odd places for me (that's another thread) and just now I found that my favorite (hides neck seams with mesh head and not perfectly matched skin) chocker (yes, spelled that way) is missing. I have the exact name and I knew the maker. It is nowhere to be found. I had it at the beginning of the month as I featured it in a blog photo. 

Other things missing too so not much is changing -- for some of us anyway.    Put in a ticket but doubt it will do any good. 

I DID NOT DELETE THIS.  I am also (now) opening EACH folder before I delete to make sure that there are no mysterious folders within folders.

This IS getting old and seems to be increasing :(

mynx.jpg.1d2674d981b5418c30ec3d7041cb1ecd.jpg

EDIT: So while I STILL want that choker back as it is simple and I like it, I went out and got the matching skin for my head (no demo so I was a bit trepidatious) and it is very nice and I no longer have a LINE (it was a fine match with the default Maitreya skin except for the back of neck). So that is a step up I guess :D. Hmmmmmmmm.

Honestly these problems never seem to go away these days. Before they only came around now and then (or maybe I just didn't delve into my inventory all that much seven or eight years ago :D. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

So FINALLY A HAPPY ENDING!

While there was no message from support and I made no further efforts to retrieve my missing choker, it appeared today when I searched and it was not only there but in the correct spot (under jewelry - chokers natch) AND had all the versions of the set (different color stones) in the FOLDER that it was originally in. 

Whether anything else that was gone and I didn't notice came back, I don't know. But, if you have the EXACT NAME (with all the spaces and dashes and such) it appears you have a fair chance of retrieval. THAT is good to know.

:SwingingFriends:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

So FINALLY A HAPPY ENDING!

While there was no message from support and I made no further efforts to retrieve my missing choker, it appeared today when I searched and it was not only there but in the correct spot (under jewelry - chokers natch) AND had all the versions of the set (different color stones) in the FOLDER that it was originally in. 

Whether anything else that was gone and I didn't notice came back, I don't know. But, if you have the EXACT NAME (with all the spaces and dashes and such) it appears you have a fair chance of retrieval. THAT is good to know.

:SwingingFriends:

While sometimes I have actually lost an item or two, I've decided that lately the inventory window is just plain going wonky sometimes.  I will buy something and see it show in my Recent window.  A bit later, I'll go to grab it to unpack and file and I cannot find it anywhere, by partial or exact search even.  Yet I can close the inventory window and reopen it and there it is, showing in both the main and Recent windows again.

Gremlins, I tell ya.

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

While sometimes I have actually lost an item or two, I've decided that lately the inventory window is just plain going wonky sometimes.  I will buy something and see it show in my Recent window.  A bit later, I'll go to grab it to unpack and file and I cannot find it anywhere, by partial or exact search even.  Yet I can close the inventory window and reopen it and there it is, showing in both the main and Recent windows again.

Gremlins, I tell ya.

Yes.  A friend of mine had some similar things occur this last week. 

Another thing that has been happening recently to me is that my 'local textures' that I upload and put on the items aren't "sticking". Originally I thought I had just forgotten to put them on (certainly an easy thing) but it is happening much more often this last month or so and I am beginning to think it has something to do with the corrupted textures I am finding (oldish ones that I happily could upload again as they were on my computer) as well as some textures that were favorites and that I would NOT have deleted that are GOOOOOONE. No way to get those back.  I would THINK that the textures would be on their own set of databases on their own set of machines (maybe MANY MANY machines LOL.   But something also seems up there. 

Someone said that much of the inventory stuff is now "in the cloud" (well on a different set of computers) and not where it had been residing in the past. Don't know if this is part of the puzzle and don't remember enough about it to be very helpful. But maybe someone DOES know what changes were made (or not made) and can post about that.  

• Like 1

Losing large files that were Irreplaceable happened to me about 6 years ago. I lost about 40 k maybe more, of building files, meaning full perm textures Etc. It happened when I emptied my trash but I was not prompted to empty my trash. I spent a good deal of time writing a blog post, and I believe I wrote a post in here to, but nothing really happened with it. I did contact the lab and they spent quite a few hours on my account but were unable to explain exactly what happened. I thought it might have just been a glitch because everyone kept telling me you can't lose things in Second Life. I haven't had a loss like that since. You can do redelivery on some items, or kindly send a note to designers showing that you purchased from them and ask them to redeliver if they don't offer that automatically.  If you can prove that you purchased the item by showing a receipt even better . You might also show them a copy of your  open ticket to Linden labs.   I was not able to replace the thousands of textures I had uploaded , as I was a designer, I was able to acquire many things that were lost by the kindness of the people that I purchase them from.  It can't hurt to ask as long as you are nice about it. As far as Gacha you'll be out of luck. 

Edited by Faye Feldragonne

2 minutes ago, Faye Feldragonne said:

I thought it might have just been a glitch because everyone kept telling me you can't lose things in Second Life.

Yes, me too long ago and that was definitely the party line. I heard it SO MANY TIMES.  

Most of my items are  blogger copies and of course MY things which I can replace by uploading again which costs money but it is doable.  So redelivery isn't really an option -- and then again, often we lose things and don't notice for a long while -- a problem for sure.

I am happy that folks are at least beginning to realize that inventory loss DOES happen. One gal long ago wrote that she had lost 10,000 poses. Now that's way too many poses to keep on hand IMHO but she was of course devastated.

I am very happy that this is all out in the open with more folks coming forward as I have been "crying into the night" for a long while now and I am happy to have some company :D. 

8 hours ago, Faye Feldragonne said:

You can do redelivery on some items, or kindly send a note to designers showing that you purchased from them and ask them to redeliver if they don't offer that automatically.  If you can prove that you purchased the item by showing a receipt even better .

Yeah, but how many of the typical SL users pull their L$ transaction history every month before it rolls off? And trying to find anything in your MP purchase history that is more than a few purchases back is next to impossible - and no average SL user saves their invoices off to their computer either.

*sigh*

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 1

A while back LL dangled the idea of creating an OAUTH interface so that 3rd party apps could access private details of a user's account without exposing their password or allowing unfettered access (such as transferring funds, etc.). At the time I thought it would be a great idea so that a system/service could be created that would allow archiving of transactions. It could also be used to pull and format tax reports, income statements, basically a whole raft of things to make business people in SL more productive. Sadly that idea never saw fruition. But I still think it would aid a lot of folks.

Also I notice the the Marketplace seems to hold onto transactions forever. Granted the transaction volume is way lower than the main L$ transactions but still .. more than 32 days would be helpful. Even 90 days would be a benefit to many.

7 minutes ago, Darrius Gothly said:

Also I notice the the Marketplace seems to hold onto transactions forever. Granted the transaction volume is way lower than the main L$ transactions but still .. more than 32 days would be helpful. Even 90 days would be a benefit to many.

Yes it does keep transactions forever, but there is no search mechanism.  So you simply have to scroll through page after page after page looking for whatever. If you roughly remember when you bought a specific item, you can jump pages, but that is minimal help.

• Like 2

So another update from moi!

I got a note from support yesterday (about the missing "chocker") thanking me for my patience and saying that they had found the article and could they do an administrative login. I wrote back and said that was fine but the item had come back in its correct place (unusual for me for some reason) several days before with no work from my side of the issue and sent in a screenshot. 

A later note said that they didn't need to do the administrative login then but would I " get the SL viewer, clear history, relog in Pooley or whatever etc etc").   And that they suspected something was going on with my account (well yes! LOL).   Anyway I did all that AND remembered to change my windlights in the Linden viewer to STICK in the debug menu after changing to a new Windlight  I had made (woot). 

So some VERY ODD things so far that have happened. One was that the head I was wearing when I cleared my History (not cache, the instructions said Privacy> History) disappeared on my new log in (Firestorm, not sure if it was there in Linden Viewer as I was only looking at the back of my head). I had copies of course and went through things and got my look back. But THAT head which is in all my outfits is "gone". It won't rez at all. 

I also have a lot of newly appearing VERY OLD stuff (like 2013) in my inventory. This was NOT there. I have SYSTEM clothes in there even and my Lost and Found was overflowing with things from back as far as 2013 also. There were items that I had long deleted from my main inventory mixed in with returns from recent events. They were in chronological order so that was handy.  Cleared all that out and noted on my support ticket.

So yes, MY account does seem to have issues. If I look at things from the plus side -- and I try to -- there may have been some lost items that I really WANTED BACK returned along the way. Hopefully I will find them :D.  

It IS nice that they are trying to get this working. 

PS. Another note from support not long after I wrote this and they are going to come in and "move stuff around" and see if they can find the issue :D.   Of course it moves around seemingly all by itself.   Hope this doesn't make things worse, but would be good to have it fixed. I can't be the only one with these issues. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 3

On 5/23/2017 at 9:36 AM, Chic Aeon said:

I think by now we can probably agree that it is not ALL of us deleting things by accident. I am sure that happens too, but once it HAS happened people are much more aware and the chances of it happening again decrease. The chances of it happening ten times when people have gone to GREAT lengths to make multiple backups of objects is way far out there  IMHO. 

I agree. I think anyone who keeps insisting it is user error, is just being a troll. Or willfully ignorant. Or both!

• Like 1

Another (NEW in the last three days) instance of missing inventory. Happily it was a blogger items and still available at the venue blogger area. Also I had rezzed a copy at LEA12. So I didn't actually lose it but it did disappear (two versions to be exact) from my inventory. I am not sure that I ever though my blog posts would be "proof of ownership" :D but it works. Added to my ongoing issue support ticket. 59a74ea5a62c5_missingclock.thumb.JPG.cebfff732f4f5d66a63bfdc041ceafb9.JPG

FYI

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2429 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.