Dendail

Can't move forward or backwards

Question

My W, D, and ↕ keys no longer function to allow me to move so I have to move my clicking with a mouse which is really annoying for me.  I didn't even change anything for this to occur so I have no idea how to fix this.  Please help.

7 answers to this question

You didn't say which viewer you are using, so I cannot tell whether it's one that resets your Preferences automatically when you upgrade to a new version.  In any case, that may be what happened, so check the WASD setting in Preferences >>> General.  You may have just had an automatic upgrade and not noticed it.

• Like 1

Hi thank you for the reply but I am using the Second Life Standalone Viewer if that helps?  Sorry I am still a bit of a newbie when it comes to Second Life so if that isn't the information you are looking for then could you elaborate?

Also I checked the Preferences >>> General and unfortunately I fail to see anything that would outright prevent my movement.  The "Affects Movement" key checked.

I dont use the official viewer, but the one I do use has a "move lock" button as an option.  I have incidentally clicked it and spent ages trying to figure out why I wasn't walking, running, flying even after a relog.   Perhaps you have the option as well.

Finally figured it out.  I used the "Release Keys" under the advanced settings and it took off an item I had that allowed others to interact with me.  It's entirely possible the item bugged and couldn't register that one one was interacting with me any longer.  Thank you all for trying to assist me with this problem.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2017 at 9:56 AM, Dendail said:

Hi thank you for the reply but I am using the Second Life Standalone Viewer if that helps?  Sorry I am still a bit of a newbie when it comes to Second Life so if that isn't the information you are looking for then could you elaborate?

Use the viewer's HELP->ABOUT... to collect info about your viewer and computer. Even the 'standard' Linden made viewer is constantly changing.

If the arrow keys stop working it can be lag, yours or the server's. If the <- and -> arrows spin you and the ­­­up and down arrows have no effect it is very likely lag.

• Like 1

I know of someone who has been having the same kind of problem as of lately.  She was not only unable to walk when logged on, but after a few seconds it automatically logged her off.  What is going on?  Is it possible she has an outfit she is wearing that was causing problems?

Edited by Darla Hadisson

51 minutes ago, Darla Hadisson said:

I know of someone who has been having the same kind of problem as of lately.  She was not only unable to walk when logged on, but after a few seconds it automatically logged her off.  What is going on?  Is it possible she has an outfit she is wearing that was causing problems?

Almost certainly not. Usually when that sort of thing happens, it's almost always because you have a flaky Internet connection that is either dropping data packets or has spikes of long ping time. If either of those happen, your viewer gets out of sync with the SL servers, you experience severe lag or freezing, and then disconnect. The standard things to try are (1) get off of wireless -- use a direct cable or DSL connection to the Internet, and (2) reboot both your router and your modem, then restart everything.