do you like Complexity or Simplicity?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Usually simple is best.  Easy.  Predictable.  Point A to point B on the straightest path possible.  Get things done with the least amount of drama.

But

I'd be lying if I said I don't occasionally revel in absolute chaos.  The excitement of it, anticipation, puzzling out and untangling the threads of turmoil and bedlam - just getting right in the disarray and bedlam and rolling in it until I'm enveloped.

So, I would live simplicity and visit complexity, but I am much more passionate about the chaos.

How's that for a non-answer?

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
Ugh, spelling
  • Like 2

If we're talking about SL avatars, then simplicity is best.  I don't mean we should all look like 2006 newbies but so much complexity is unnecessary. When I switch off jelly dolls to look at those high draw-weight avatars lagging a club to a standstill, they don't necessarily look any better or any more complex than the lower draw-weight ones that were not jelly dolls in the first place.

Edited by Conifer Dada

Simple: Pepperoni pizza

Complex: With mushrooms, black olives, sweet Italian sausage, caramelized onions, grilled tomato slices and topped with fresh chopped basil.

They both have their merits.  Brute force vs strategically applied science.  A gentle caress vs a shibari suspension.  I can't choose between them.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, AmandaKeen said:

My RL career has been a bad case of "take the complex and translate into a simple, digestible format" - so I'm going with Simplicity....

Its less work :-)

In my RL career, making something simple to use/understand was both difficult and rewarding.

“Make things as simple as possible, but not simpler.” - Albert Einstein (paraphrased).

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

In my RL career, making something simple to use/understand was both difficult and rewarding.

“Make things as simple as possible, but not simpler.” - Albert Einstein (paraphrased).

Amen. The spoils go to anyone who can simplify anything. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

There are days I have to resort to speaking very slooooowly and loudly to my target audience :-) Upper Management translation issues......

2 minutes ago, AmandaKeen said:

There are days I have to resort to speaking very slooooowly and loudly to my target audience :-) Upper Management translation issues......

Unfortunately, for most of my career, I was upper management (self employed). So it was imperative I make things simple enough for me to understand.

;-).

Just now, Madelaine McMasters said:

Unfortunately, for most of my career, I was upper management (self employed). So it was imperative I make things simple enough for me to understand.

;-).

I'm doing analysis for a multinational group on the upper-end. Trying to explain Pop Culture to other cultural groups is interesting, although it often underscores the absurd points of pop culture :-) "Its not supposed to make sense, its allegedly funny" Some days its fun, some days my brain hurts :-)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Speaking of complexity - I just tried on an old gown in my inventory (from 2013).  It has a complexity value of 2,799,508 - quite impressive.  I think I'm going to have to find the right scene for a picture of this one.

I have just the ring for that, after a discussion here about engagement and wedding rings, it was said you could get some good ones cheep, so I bough tone just to see how good it was, It cost 5L and looked fabulous, but the complexity if the ring alone was over 400000. 

• Like 2

Oriolus Oliva taught me an important lesson once. He showed me a drawing he had made of a house facade and it looked so complex and full of wonderful little details. Then he demonstrated how simple the picture actually was, how few lines he had drawn to achieve that effect. You can see the same in his SL works too, they look so complex and full of life and details, yet if you start analyzing them, they are actually very simple.

I think that's my answer when it comes to Second Life: make more out of less.

Edited by ChinRey
Fixing some typos
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.