labanimal

Can't use the land I bought

17 posts in this topic

I just rented a piece of empty land using a rental box there last night but haven't been given any permissions to edit the land options yet and it's still shown as being owned by a group that i'm not in.  The group is also private and will not allow me to own it. I put in 2 weeks worth of rent. It displays the name and stuff from the last owners on the "about land" too, but my own user on the rental box (will attatch pic). I tried to contact the person who I rented the land from but haven't gotten a response yet.

I am pretty new to Second Life as well, so I'm very unsure on what to do here. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 4.44.58 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi labanimal, welcome to Second Life.

There's not much to do but to continue to attempt to contact the landlord. If they don't check SL often, their message queue might get capped. If so, they won't receive your messages. Create a notecard and drag it to their IM window. They're guaranteed to get that. In the future, don't rent until after you've had an exchange with the landlord. Circumstances can pull people out of SL, leaving things hanging.

Good luck!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Hi labanimal, welcome to Second Life.

There's not much to do but to continue to attempt to contact the landlord. If they don't check SL often, their message queue might get capped. If so, they won't receive your messages. Create a notecard and drag it to their IM window. They're guaranteed to get that. In the future, don't rent until after you've had an exchange with the landlord. Circumstances can pull people out of SL, leaving things hanging.

Good luck!

Thank you very much for this advice! I had no idea the system wouldn't automatically put me as the renter, but this has been a learning experience I guess. I'll do that, hopefully they will return soon as it was a very good deal. Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does your landlord have anything in the profile picks that looks like a main office or any other place where there might be a land group inviter object?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Does your landlord have anything in the profile picks that looks like a main office or any other place where there might be a land group inviter object?

 

no, ive scoured his profile for any info really, its pretty blank. i did find a group, my friend suggested i look for that, but it was a private one i could not join...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you see any owners or managers in the group you found? If so, send them an IM and tell them you've rented. Even if they can't help. they might be able to tell you who can.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2017 at 3:10 PM, K9Mark said:

Can you see any owners or managers in the group you found? If so, send them an IM and tell them you've rented. Even if they can't help. they might be able to tell you who can.

Nah, it's only the guy who owns the land in there and it's completely blank, really weird. 

Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 4.36.22 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if he doesn't come back before my rent is up, I'll just try elsewhere. Thanks for the help everybody!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2017 at 7:52 PM, labanimal said:

I just rented a piece of empty land using a rental box there last night but haven't been given any permissions to edit the land options yet and it's still shown as being owned by a group that i'm not in.  The group is also private and will not allow me to own it. I put in 2 weeks worth of rent. It displays the name and stuff from the last owners on the "about land" too, but my own user on the rental box (will attatch pic). I tried to contact the person who I rented the land from but haven't gotten a response yet.

I am pretty new to Second Life as well, so I'm very unsure on what to do here. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 4.44.58 PM.png

It must be mainland you are much better off renting on a private estate if for no other reason than you "own" it instantly and you can set your own group

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

It must be mainland you are much better off renting on a private estate if for no other reason than you "own" it instantly and you can set your own group

Mainland is fine. There are thousands of happy people renting mainland without any problems at all. There are plenty of good landlords on the mainland, so it needn't be a problem, but in this case, it is a problem.

There are also people who have rented land on private estates and have had problems with the land's owners.

It's not the type of land that causes problems, it's the owners, so renting on either can be a wonderful experience or it can have problems, depending on how honest and helpful the land's owner is.

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, K9Mark said:

It's not the type of land that causes problems, it's the owners,

not only the owners... it's everywhere on the forums for some years : do not rent without speaking some representative of the landlord/manager

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2017 at 3:02 PM, K9Mark said:

Mainland is fine. There are thousands of happy people renting mainland without any problems at all. There are plenty of good landlords on the mainland, so it needn't be a problem, but in this case, it is a problem.

There are also people who have rented land on private estates and have had problems with the land's owners.

It's not the type of land that causes problems, it's the owners, so renting on either can be a wonderful experience or it can have problems, depending on how honest and helpful the land's owner is.

The difference is, when you rent land, you can't "buy" mainland like u can "buy" on a private estate. When I rent a parcel on a private estate, i "buy" it, become the land owner instantly, and have full land rights. On mainland i have to wait for the owner to show up and add me to his land group before I can do anything, which when compared to a private estate is probably very little.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 27/04/2017 at 2:40 AM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

The difference is, when you rent land, you can't "buy" mainland like u can "buy" on a private estate. When I rent a parcel on a private estate, i "buy" it, become the land owner instantly, and have full land rights. On mainland i have to wait for the owner to show up and add me to his land group before I can do anything, which when compared to a private estate is probably very little.

There's normally a lot more freedom on the mainland because estate owners tend to have a lot of restrictions in their covenants, whereas on the mainland you're more likely to be able to do what you want without annoying others, and without them annoying you. You can rent a plot and live there in a house, you can then change it and have a shop or a farm or whatever you like, whenever you like, and you get to meet a bigger range of people, rather than just people who are in the same group as you, on the same sim as you. You also have the fun of going out and about and exploring.

You'd be surprised how many people prefer mainland to estates these days. Some people don't mind waiting a few hours for the group, and a lot of the time, they don't have to wait anyway, so it's not really a big deal to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, K9Mark said:

There's normally a lot more freedom on the mainland......whereas on the mainland you're more likely to be able to do what you want without annoying others, and without them annoying you

 

You'd be surprised how many people prefer mainland to estates these days. Some people don't mind waiting a few hours for the group, and a lot of the time, they don't have to wait anyway, so it's not really a big deal to them.

I'm premium. i own mainland and I love it. I always buy road frontage so i can hop on those little cars that run all over. But, when I'm renting, I totally go estate for the benefit of full land rights.

Speaking of being annoyed, i'm selling my current mainland parcel because another parcel owner keeps the sim maxed out with his guests. So, so much for freedom.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mark, its no wonder you think mainland is better, I see that you rent out mainland parcels.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Mark, its no wonder you think mainland is better, I see that you rent out mainland parcels.

Hahaha - good catch

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2017 at 9:40 PM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

The difference is, when you rent land, you can't "buy" mainland like u can "buy" on a private estate. When I rent a parcel on a private estate, i "buy" it, become the land owner instantly, and have full land rights. On mainland i have to wait for the owner to show up and add me to his land group before I can do anything, which when compared to a private estate is probably very little

While this is often the case, a good many private estates do not rent parcels in such a way as to make the renter the "owner" of the parcel. Renting, rather that buying at a private estate, is fairly common for urban sims. Other estates have it set up so that while all or some of the parcels may be "purchased," regardless of titular ownership of the parcels, all must be set to the estate's group. Some estate owners do not like to give full land rights to tenants because not everyone knows what they are about when it comes to land settings and the like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now