SECOND LIFE CRASHERS

Kraven Titanium

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

Me?  Nothing. There are no Lindens in this resident-to-resident Answers area.  I am a SL resident like you.  You'll have to solve this one yourself.  Linden Lab gave you a tool to prevent graphics crashers.  It's the Maximum Complexity slider in Preferences >> Graphics.  It was designed to let you set a limit on how much graphics data your card will be allowed to accept.  Normally, a setting of 300,000 is more than enough.  It will allow you to see all but the few avatars who are wearing overdressed, high-complexity mesh.  If you shove that slider too high, you are allowing griefers to deliberately overload your graphics card and crash it.

You may always submit an Abuse Report, BTW.  If you can't identify the specific person, at least include all of the information that you can provide: Place, precise time, other people present, and a detailed description of what happened.   In the place where the AR form asks for the griefer's name, write "Governor Linden".  Linden Lab will understand.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 5

Best you can do is abuse report every time you are crashed out, in theory the maximum complexity is a good idea at preventing crashes in reality based on my experiences set to 80,000 unless the crashers i come across have means of crashing people out that no longer involve an extremely high complexity worn object then setting a low complexity is no help if i get crashed out the crasher has worked on me before it get's a chance to become a jelly doll   

I believe the Complexity slider will only protect against graphics crashers that an avatar is wearing.  It won't provide protection against crashers that are objects rezzed in world, and not attached to an avatar.  Any setting less than "Unlimited" should provide protection; graphics crashers have insanely high complexity numbers, up in the millions.

Another defense:  Use the Advanced menu (CTRL+ALT+D to enable it on your top menu bar), and check "Disable Camera Constraints".  When you encounter a graphics crasher, spin your mouse wheel backwards to zoom your camera point of view way, way, back beyond your draw distance.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.