HELP Please! Object permissions - permission shows in inventory is different than the real permission

BananaHammockLui

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2553 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all, 

I hope to get help about next owner object permissions please!

I have a  full perm object with full perm script in it. I right click on that object to set permission to next owner as 'copy - no mod - no trans'. I gave the object to my friend. In her inventory indeed it shows that the object is copy-no mod- no trans. But when she wear it, click edit it, it is fully mod even to the scripts inside. She tried to send it back to me and it is also transferable from her inventory. So basically she has a full perm object when I already limit next owner permission.

My second try is I set the script in that object as copy-no mod - no trans, set the object as copy-no mod-no trans, put the object with script in a prim box which i took back to my inventory to set it as copy-nomod-no trans to the next owner. I gave her the box. She opened the box and get the object. In her inventory the object said no mod - no trans, but still she is able to fully mod, see the script and transfer it to me.

My third try is that I ripped off the script from the object, copy the content, made a new script inside the object and paste the content in. I set the content of my script to no mod-no trans, and take the object back in my inventory. Now the object is no transfer @.@ and the object is my prim (created by me) @.@. I set the object down and set the script inside it to copy - mod - trans (aka full perm), take it back in my inventory and now it is full perm again. I set the full perm to no mod- no trans, and gave my friend, the same still happened: In her inventory it showed no mod no trans and yet she has it full perm.

I wonder if it is a problem about script that prevent to make it non-full perm? Or what problem is it?

It isn't the first time it happened that the permission showed in your inventory is different than what showed in world. Once I brought a copyable product. In my inventory it clearly show that it is copied. When i rezzed it, it isn't copyable.

Any advices would be appreciated!

Thanks

You know about the "slam bit" right? In at least some of the cases you describe, you seem to be setting permissions inside your Inventory instead of with the object rezzed-in-world. That's usually not what you want to do (except when actually using this "slam bit" functionality, which is... tricky.)

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

You know about the "slam bit" right? In at least some of the cases you describe, you seem to be setting permissions inside your Inventory instead of with the object rezzed-in-world. That's usually not what you want to do (except when actually using this "slam bit" functionality, which is... tricky.)

Very useful. The main thing I learned from this is: " if you can avoid it, do NOT change an object's permissions when it's in your inventory. If you do, be sure to rez it to apply ("slam") those permissions, then take the resulting copy. "

• Like 3

Good practice is to make sure every item in the object's inventory has its own next owner permissions set independently in the Content tab. Setting an object's permissions doesn't necessarily keep people from stealing the object's innards. I've got at least a dozen items in my inventory that swear up and down they're no copy, no mod, and no transfer, but everything inside of them is fullperm and could be extracted when the objects are rezzed.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't their makers' intent in setting the permissions on the obects, so yeah. Minor oversight, major flaw. Always check to make sure each thing you don't want messed with is set not to be messed with, or the illusion of security could get your hard work distributed freely by unethical persons.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2553 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.