How to texture in blender?

Adam123 Gearz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2719 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So its been my second day just playing around on blender, and i made a top hat. Now im just wondering how would i texture this? Or just make the texture and upload it, because it would obviously be mapped out just like the skins are on photoshop, i hope this makes sense its hard to explain. It would probably look like something like this but how would i do it? Or like get my item mapped out onto photoshop to make it myself30838eba27229481faf6821670c934f7

9 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

You need a tutorial on making Top hat texture in Blender. There is one.

Will that teach me how to texture pretty much anything? I dont just want to learn how the top hat one would work but i know it might be a simple one to start off with

Thank you for the reply

You can apply the texture in Blender, but it's usually more practical to apply it in world, after you have uploaded the model.  You'll pay for a texture upload (L$10) either way, but keeping them separate means that you won't have to pay for both a model upload and a texture upload each time you make a change.  (For now, during testing, you can use the local textures option to avoid paying for a texture upload at all.)  As you noted, once you have created a UV map in Blender and have assigned materials to the model, it doesn't matter when you apply the textures. 

ETA:  And yes, you can export the UV map to your hard drive and then drop it into Photoshop to draw your texture with it as a template.

Edited by Rolig Loon

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

You can apply the texture in Blender, but it's usually more practical to apply it in world, after you have uploaded the model.  You'll pay for a texture upload (L$10) either way, but keeping them separate means that you won't have to pay for both a model upload and a texture upload each time you make a change.  (For now, during testing, you can use the local textures option to avoid paying for a texture upload at all.)  As you noted, once you have created a UV map in Blender and have assigned materials to the model, it doesn't matter when you apply the textures. 

ETA:  And yes, you can export the UV map to your hard drive and then drop it into Photoshop to draw your texture with it as a template.

Yeah i think i will do that, the problem is i need to know how to make the UV map itself. Thats the problem im stuck on

31 minutes ago, Adam123 Gearz said:

Yeah i think i will do that, the problem is i need to know how to make the UV map itself. Thats the problem im stuck on

Aha!  I thought you had that part licked.  No problem.  As Pam says, you should work through Gaia Clary's tutorials on making mesh objects for SL with Blender.  I suggest doing the Coffee Cup tutorial.  If you want to get a quick peek at the UV mapping part, go directly to http://blog.machinimatrix.org/coffee-cup-tutorials/uv-mapping/   , which is step four in her set of tutorials on that example.  It's really smart to go back and start on step one, though, so you see the full work flow.

From looking at your supposed texture (the black and orange bit) it looks like you are thinking in "sculpts" mode. So the first thing you likely need to do is clunk yourself on the head a few times and try NOT to think about sculpts. It is a whole different world. 

Note that there are MANY ways to unwrap just as there are MANY ways to model :D. You will find your favorites -- the same method doesn't work best for everything.  Also try not to succumb to the Smart UV Project mode. It is SO NOT SMART - LOL.     

Medhue made a tutorial on how to unwrap a cap awhile back. Here it is:  

Edited by Chic Aeon

2 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

From looking at your supposed texture (the black and orange bit) it looks like you are thinking in "sculpts" mode. So the first thing you likely need to do is clunk yourself on the head a few times and try NOT to think about sculpts. It is a whole different world. 

Medhue made a tutorial on how to unwrap a cap awhile back. Here it is:  

Thank you for the video, but no that isnt my texture xD i just googled "top hat texture map" and thats what came up, i think i understand it alot more now and will play around alot with it tomorrow!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2719 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.