Penny Patton

Of Men and Giants and Men Who Are Giants But Don't Mean to Be

37 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Raven Delgado said:

lol @ Penny Patton they are not just giants in RP trust me, i dunno maybe they tryin to make up for something else in rl thats small giggles, i love the guys who run around with 20 inch cocks, smh what is that all about ? haha

Height has always been a touchy subject for some people in SL and I'm not sure why. No hate from me. It's just something I've observed in SL and I find it interesting.

Once, my alt helped run a role play area and I had a particular player who kept (a) making Giant Russian characters and (b) complaining that all the doorways were too small for him. (By a big amount)

The sim management wasn't going to rebuild the sim for one guy, so the role play advice was "use the opportunities this gives you"; get good at creatively posting about having to duck and also use the opportuntiy to occasionally bash your head and go to the hospital to hit on the ER nurses.

3 people like this

every one in sl seems to want to be 10 feet tall giants especialy the women and they strechin the livin cheese outa there avatars to monster hights thats sad i only add as friends ppl that are norma size like in real life so rember if the girl is taller then 5.2 just ignore her n move on cuz she is either a child or a crazy

I am 5'5" and not a child so I must be crazy.

5 hours ago, Talligurl said:

I am 5'5" and not a child so I must be crazy.

No... You are just not Quinn's ideal woman, 

A malnourished South-East Asian great grandmother in her 90's, who has spent the last 80 years carrying a water buffalo up a mountain on her back...

I'm 5'7" and I'm regularly towered over in the street by student girls from the local university, many of whom seem to reach the stretched out alien gum person heights of 5'10" or even more!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I kinda like the following reference and have used it for a while;

The Catnap Kitty Body Proportion

Kind of like some RL fitness programs project optimal shoulder, weight  and hip dimensions based on height, The VERY smart-kittty author bases her SL sizing on head-size. Using it would help make sure the body-to-head ratio was correct.

Also, as a question; don't shoe-bases and some mesh bodies throw off the body-height reading ?

Edited by AmandaKeen
1 person likes this

On 17.4.2017 at 10:51 AM, Sukubia Scarmon said:

Interesstingly, I face the exact opposite in World of Warcraft RP a lot. Not small guys, mind you, but small Kaldorei females. (The nightelfs are tall, females usually are about 2m tall - yet almost every Kaldorei I see is somehow 1.60m, or describes as being "very small for her race". ) - I figured it has something to do with the old stereotypes/chliches of  "guys need to be big and strong to protect their girl", and "girls need to be small and petite to give a guy the feeling he needs to protect her" Can't really explain it better.

I refuse to play with any Nightelf, who has that in their description. They usually end up being what me and my guild refer to as "a purple human with long ears", meaning that the player behind the character usually picked a Nightelf for the "exotic/sexy" look, but hasn't bothered to really care about the lore around this faction at all. The roleplay with them usually ends up being extremely boring or otherwise flawed.

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, AmandaKeen said:

I kinda like the following reference and have used it for a while;

The Catnap Kitty Body Proportion

Kind of like some RL fitness programs project optimal shoulder, weight  and hip dimensions based on height, The VERY smart-kittty author bases her SL sizing on head-size. Using it would help make sure the body-to-head ratio was correct.

Also, as a question; don't shoe-bases and some mesh bodies throw off the body-height reading ?

That's a very good guide. It should be noted that the proportion tips *****cat is applying to the SL avatar are the very same tips artists use in drawing characters.

And yes. Shoe-bases and some mesh bodies do through off height-reading scripts. Shoe-bases make your feet thicker, adding height. Some mesh bodies use deformers which alter your avatar's skeleton. If you want a 100% accurate reading of your height you have to do it the same way you'd do it in real life. Take off your shoes and measure from the bottom of your avatar's feet to the top of your avatar's skull with a ruler (or in SL's case, a prim).

Shoes and tip-toe feet in particular add a lot of height to women in SL. Sometimes as much as 4-6 inches, pushing a women who is a very average 5'8" up to 6'2".

1 person likes this

23 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

I refuse to play with any Nightelf, who has that in their description. They usually end up being what me and my guild refer to as "a purple human with long ears", meaning that the player behind the character usually picked a Nightelf for the "exotic/sexy" look, but hasn't bothered to really care about the lore around this faction at all. The roleplay with them usually ends up being extremely boring or otherwise flawed.

That couldn't be more true.

I had an interesting encounter in an RP group the other day. First a little background: Because men in RP sims tend to be between 7-9' tall, monstrous creatures such as orcs, werewolves and minotaurs have gotten larger and larger, especially since mesh was introduced. Old prim beasts used to be around 9' tall, now it's more common to see werewolves and minotaurs and such in the 12-15' range. The thing is, a lot of the people playing beasts like to go to adult RP sims and use adult animations with human women. With the beasts getting larger and human women getting smaller it has become impossible for them to do the primary thing they go to these sims to do unless the sim provides adult furniture specifically made for this size difference.

In the group chat for one such adult sim someone was complaining that even the adult fantasy sims designed for mythical creatures frequently have very little furniture for these avatars. I pointed out that such furniture is rare, and most of what is out there is not very well made and frequently no-mod so you can't even improve the appearance if you want to. I pointed out that some of the mesh beast avatars, specifically the Niramyth lycan avatars, come in multiple sizes, and if beasts used the smaller 8-9' versions they would find it easier to use most of the regular furniture. This would still make them huge next to even the tallest human women and even most human men.

The responses I got from the guys were pretty consistently "I don't want to be smaller than the other minotaurs/werewolves/etcetera."

One guy, in a human looking avatar, complained women these days only came up to his nipples. He was about 8' tall. When I suggested he shrink down to a more humanish size he dismissed the idea out of hand, saying that he didn't want to "look like a midget" compared to other men.

Again, I get that if you normally hang around sims where everyone is tall, you're going to want to be tall too just to fit in. No judgement from me, I totally understand that. But when you find yourself spending more and more of your time in sims where women are half your size, all the furniture is too small, and you need special furniture made exclusively for super-sized avatars, maybe it's time to start considering a smaller avatar. Even if just for those sims.

1 person likes this

On 18.4.2017 at 1:53 AM, ValorWhit said:

The box says I am 2.098 meters tall.    Google says that is 6.8832021 feet or 6' 10 1/2" tall...

Oh, you're American. So are the people who developed Second Life and I believe that is actually a significant part of the reason for the the scale issues we have in SL. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Americans - some of my best friends are Americans but USA is one of the three nations in the world where the metric system is not the standard system for measurments. So they won't automatically associate SL sizes with RL ones the way most people do.

That's not the only reason of course but I do think it was a significant factor.

2 people like this

5 hours ago, Penny Patton said:

"I don't want to be smaller than the other minotaurs/werewolves/etcetera."

[...]he didn't want to "look like a midget" compared to other men.

Peer pressure seems to be strong.
Which I don't really get, because in the cases of adult roleplay what matters would be the relation of hight between the two people involved, not the "competition", no?
Maybe it's not only the proper hight-tools we need, but also some tools for more self-esteem and confidence, lol.

1 person likes this