Sometimes, random "tv audio" plays even when the game audio is muted

wadersinpeatbog

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1994 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hey everyone, this is my first post to these forums. Sometimes recently when I've been playing SL, randomly, audio that sounds like it's from TV commercials will start playing - maybe the game is trying to show advertisements that I'm not seeing? Anyways, this tends to happen in some sessions of SL and not others, and it doesn't matter where I am, that audio will play until I turn the game off. Even muting the game audio doesn't cause the "ads" to shut up. I know that this audio isn't coming from wherever I happen to be when it starts. What could be causing this?

2 answers to this question

There are several possibilities. One of the most likely ones is that someone nearby -- or maybe not all that near -- has set up a streaming media system with Shared Media (Media on a Prim or MOAP).  That's a great technology, but it's not limited to a short range.  Since it's not using parcel media, it's unaffected by whether you are in the same parcel. 

Another good possibility is that some nearby resident is wearing a portable "radio" to entertain everyone else with.  That happens a lot in the popular social regions, but I have run across people like that in shops and other unlikely places too.

Disabling streaming media in Preference may take care of some of that annoying noise, but then you'll miss the streaming media that you want to hear too. It's hard to win.

• Like 1

There are several audio "channels" in Second Life.

• Music - This is the obvious one.  The owner of any land parcel can designate an internet radio stream to play on that parcel.
  • Media - Works just like the parcel music stream, but is used to play video.  Of course, there's audio that accompanies the video, and even people who are not watching TV will hear that.
  • Shared Media (or Media On A Prim).  Can play video and audio, but it's a different system than the regular parcel Media stream.
  • Environment - the wind noise you sometimes hear, plus audio clips played by sound-emitting objects.  Can be anything from crashing waves to short music jingles.
  • Voice - Some inconsiderate people insist on using the voice channel to play music for everyone around them.  I generally mute these people.
  • Gestures - Gestures can include the playing of an audio clip.
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1994 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.