Sign in to follow this  
JaxM Zarco

Problem with Viewer 2 Update (Advanced vs Basic modes)

I am about ready to rip my hair out over this but I'm not quite ready to give up yet! The viewer comes up fine and all that jazz. When I go to log in is when the problems happen. It either takes way to long to log me in, or it freezes while logging in. I've started and restarted, installed and reinstalled the viewer numerous times and it's been the same result each time. I'm logging in in Advanced mode (normal mode)  because that's what I'm used to. When I do manage to get inworld the "People" tab on the sidebar seems to take forever to load (like showing usernames/friendlist/Groups) or just doesn't load at all. When I try to teleport to somewhere it doesn't work and it basically crashes me out. This is quite frustrating and it's making it impossible for me to have fun in SL :( 

I don't know what to do xP all help is appreciated. 

I'm using the Mac OS X version of Viewer 2. 

(and sorry if similar posts have been made, I searched like crazy but found nothing)

Hi JaxM.

Try this. 

First, go to ~/Library/Caches/Second life/ and empty it. Log in and see whether this helps or not.

Second. Move the Second Life folder from ~/Library/Application Support/ to your desktop. Do not delete it yet as it contains all your avatar specific settings, im and chat logs, so you may want to keep it around and copy things back if needed. Log in and see if this helped.

Third. When you manage to log in, disable http textures from the Develop menu (which you enable in me->Preferences->Advanced. See if you can tp OK.

Fourth. Check your packet loss in the performance panel (Cmd+shift+1). If it consistantly show numbers above 0.0%, you should try to lower your max bandwidth setting in me->Preferences->Setup (I think. Man, I never manage to remember exactly where it is. :()

Fifth. Unplug your modem and router for a minute or so. Plug back in, wait for a connection to establish and log in.

Regardless of the above, unless you already have a maintenance schedule, you could have a look at the program Onyx. It is a very good program for running maintenance tasks on your mac. It has to be done from time to time, and will ensure that you have less issues with your Mac.

Hopefully, some of this will help, and you get to have fun in SL again. :)

- Luc -

I was unable to do the first two because I could not find the folder in either directory. I managed to login fine and disable http textures fine but Teleports were still not happening. I looked at the Packet loss and it's fine 0.0%  It might be a local thing preventing me from doing anything in SL so I'll give that program a look. I'm actually a little skeptical about trying it but I'll try it. Might start looking into the third party viewers just to see if it's any better (already tried with Kirstens viewer but got the same result). Thanks for the help! 

and sorry for late reply, I was a bit busy xP

A bit late with my reply, too. :)

I guess I could have been more specific regarding the locations in the two first points. The '~/' means your own Home folder on the mac. Come to think of it, you could copy the paths from my previous post, go to Finder and press Cmd+shift+G and past the path in to the dialog that comes up and press enter. The location should open in a window.

If Onyx is the program you are a bit skeptical about; don't be. It only performs actions and tasks already installed by the system. It makes these things more easily available and easier to run, but that's it, really. It lets you automate the most common ones so you can run them with one click. You could go to the developers site and read a bit about it first. I run it myself about once a month and have not had any issues with it so far.

I have read others having success using Phoenix when Viewer 2 is giving them problems, so you could give that a try.

- Luc -