Premium reservations: In case you missed the news post.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

While this would be to my benefit, you can forget about making it to opening day at the hair fair if you are not a paid subscriber.  If 10% is reserved for premium members, as people leave the sim the new space would be filled by additional premium members.  Free accounts would not be able to tp in until the sim was under 90% capacity.

I'm not sure how I feel about that.  I like having an extra perk but will it be worth the drama fest?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I'm not sure how I feel about that.  I like having an extra perk but will it be worth the drama fest?

I doubt it will become a drama fest, but I have some popcorn waiting if needed.  10% reserved for premium members doesnt seem high enough to be noticed by very many people.  Hair Fair, The Arcade, Collabor88, even the first day of SLBirthday events will still have hundreds of avatars trying repeatedly to TP in or walk constantly into a sim border wall hoping to break through.  Even being premium, I will just wait a few days for the crowds to disperse. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

What shape are your spots then? Do they show through your hair?

My spots are apparently spherical (or ellipsoidal) caps, with radii of curvature similar to their surroundings. Hair or no, they don't show.

...beams.

ETA: I suspect a phrenologist might palpate for a while and then say "there's nothing in there".

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

Intentionally attempting to derail from the original concern:
In various group chats, I keep reading statements like "my TP HUD took like 100 attempts in the past few minutes to get me into that crowded sim". As I understand, those HUDs keep sending teleport attempts over and over again.

Isn't that effectively DDOS-ing the sim / the server it runs on? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

While this would be to my benefit, you can forget about making it to opening day at the hair fair if you are not a paid subscriber.

Yes, that'll be a bad hair day for non-premium members.

THen again, do people actually have to be there on the very first day? It's not as if anything is sold out later...

• Like 3

Hair Fair was an example.  I do like the fact that we can get demos before hand now which helps tremendously.  But UBAR, CB88, I♥RP, etc will still have a hard push on opening days. 

13 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

do people actually have to be there on the very first day? It's not as if anything is sold out later...

One of my favorite events is Monthly Midnight Madness.  As it is now there are usually enough items to go around and the opening push is more like a game.   However with limited gifts and limited time it could become a reason for hurt feelings. 

• Like 4

@Rhonda Huntress I totally agree! I wish more events would have demos made available via a group and or at their mainstore. That IMO would be far more beneficial for creators. A few stores do that already.

While I can't think of the vendors off the top of my head, a few will have an events section with demos of products that are available at a selected event along with a LM. If I see a vendor coming out with something for an event I'd take a trip down to their mainstore to try it on and see if there is anything new I might not have seen before.

At the end of the day I don't think this is really going to make much of a difference but its a nice marketing perk for LL to pick up more premium members. That's a good thing!

You're waiting at a bus stop in the rain. A 50 seat bus pulls up, opens the doors and you try to get on, but the driver says "sorry full up". You look and see 5 seats empty and point this out and the driver says "reserved for white people, and you don't look white enough to me, get off". Will this cause "drama"?

You go to a Chinese eatery in Chinatown, and the doorman says "full up go away", you point to the empty tables and he replies "Those tables are reserved for Chinese people, no Gweilo". Will that cause "drama"?

You try to get admitted to hospital for treatment, but all the empty beds are reserved for "healthy people"

Trying to get to this months round of Extortion8, which lasts 48 hours, and is packed solid for all 48, last year you got in by using a TP Hammer hud, at 5:30 am in the morning, it only took you 47 attempts. This year you can't get in at all, because even when there are spaces, they are reserved for Madlanders, no filthy island dwelling non premium peasants allowed. An amazing idea dreamed up by some buffoon who's clan entitles him to guaranteed Super Admin access everywhere with out having to pay premium, who still ignores the fact that 75% of sl isn't the Madlands or the Nobles who live there.

What's next? A cool idea to roll out a plan sating that in-world stores are forbidden to peasants? Perhaps a new clause in the ToSA making it legal for  Nobles to confiscate money from peasants. There's no end of ways we could reward Madlander Nobles, Hell, we could reintroduce "Droit d'Signeur" too...

/me pops the popcorn 

While there will be people who go to the extreme for the drama of virtual goods,  I believe most won't notice.

Premium members who pay a monthly fee to SL keep this "free" virtual world open for those who don't pay or can't pay or won't pay.  If not for land owners, sim owners,  tier payers, and membership payers SL would not be what it is.  Consumers of virtual goods like bodies, clothes, houses would not be enough to keep SL afloat.  So whine if you want to about not getting in to a sale, but there will be people who will pay for the privilege and those people will add to what SL can offer in return.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

/me pops the popcorn

While there will be people who go to the extreme for the drama of virtual goods,  I believe most won't notice.

Premium members who pay a monthly fee to SL keep this "free" virtual world open for those who don't pay or can't pay or won't pay.  If not for land owners, sim owners,  tier payers, and membership payers SL would not be what it is.  Consumers of virtual goods like bodies, clothes, houses would not be enough to keep SL afloat.  So whine if you want to about not getting in to a sale, but there will be people who will pay for the privilege and those people will add to what SL can offer in return.

This might come as a shock to you but many NON premium people pay what we call "rent" on parcels, for their homes, this "rent" is used by the landlord to pay "tier" on the land that they "own". This practice is especially common in the 24,000 plus private sims that are NOT Premium only mainland, sims that exist because NON Premium peasants pay substantial amounts of money to "rent" them. Your assumption that somehow ONLY Premium people contribute financially to SL shows a distinct lack of what we call "thought". 

Tell me, are non premium peasants allowed to "whine" about a plan to deprive them of the right to enter the land they "rent" because the last available slots have been reserved for use by "Premium Tourists" from the Mainland?

You want to reward Premiums with a new thing, fine, invent a new thing just for Premiums, more "gifts" or more Premium only destinations, how about a bunch of exclusive Premium only night clubs, where you won't have to stand next to filthy peasants from the islands.

This plan isn't giving you a new right, it's taking a right way from other people. That WILL upset people when they find out, but since it will only upset people YOU don't care about, thats alright isn't it...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

[...] As I understand, those HUDs keep sending teleport attempts over and over again.

Isn't that effectively DDOS-ing the sim / the server it runs on? 

It could be, but as the wiki says, "Teleports are throttled" so presumably there's protection built-in.

I've tried unsuccessfully to get my head around what the actual effect of this will be. I'm sure that it will be harder than before for Basic members to get into super-crowded events because, when the region is full, a departing Basic member will always be replaced by a Premium member until either everyone in the region is Premium or all Premium contenders are already served. That's pretty selective, but I don't have the background in queuing theory to quantify the effect.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

This might come as a shock to you but many NON premium people pay what we call "rent" on parcels, for their homes, this "rent" is used by the landlord to pay "tier" on the land that they "own". This practice is especially common in the 24,000 plus private sims that are NOT Premium only mainland, sims that exist because NON Premium peasants pay substantial amounts of money to "rent" them. Your assumption that somehow ONLY Premium people contribute financially to SL shows a distinct lack of what we call "thought". 

If you spend that much on rent, why don't you put it towards tier instead and ALL of the money can go to Linden Lab to keep it going instead of some of it being skimmed away for the land owner?

Tell me, are non premium peasants allowed to "whine" about a plan to deprive them of the right to enter the land they "rent" because the last available slots have been reserved for use by "Premium Tourists" from the Mainland?

When that happens to someone, come back here and let me know.  I'll pull some sympathy out of somewhere for you.  You can always rent somewhere else if you can't get home due to your rental sim always being full.  I would never take away someone's right to whine, but I don't have to listen or agree.

You want to reward Premiums with a new thing, fine, invent a new thing just for Premiums, more "gifts" or more Premium only destinations, how about a bunch of exclusive Premium only night clubs, where you won't have to stand next to filthy peasants from the islands.

They added 10% capacity to lands and gave it to premium members, therefore it is a new added feature.  You didn't lose anything.  The same number of non-members is still available.

This plan isn't giving you a new right, it's taking a right way from other people. That WILL upset people when they find out, but since it will only upset people YOU don't care about, thats alright isn't it...

SL is a choice of entertainment not a right.  It is a privately owned company not a resident owned entity.  It is not standing in the rain in real life or not getting a seat on a bus so you can get to work.  It is too bad that you view non-premium members as peasants who have been wronged somehow.  I don't.  I am glad they are here and adding to the richness of Second Life.  Maybe you shouldn't short change them by insulting them and calling them names.  They are valuable to this virtual world.

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
spelling as usual
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Klytyna said:

You're waiting at a bus stop in the rain. A 50 seat bus pulls up, opens the doors and you try to get on, but the driver says "sorry full up". You look and see 5 seats empty and point this out and the driver says "reserved for white people, and you don't look white enough to me, get off". Will this cause "drama"?

You go to a Chinese eatery in Chinatown, and the doorman says "full up go away", you point to the empty tables and he replies "Those tables are reserved for Chinese people, no Gweilo". Will that cause "drama"?

You forgot, "This parking lot is full except for these spaces reserved for handicapped people."

Aren't you going to complain about that?

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

While this would be to my benefit, you can forget about making it to opening day at the hair fair if you are not a paid subscriber.  If 10% is reserved for premium members, as people leave the sim the new space would be filled by additional premium members.  Free accounts would not be able to tp in until the sim was under 90% capacity.

I remember times where I hovered at sim bounderies trying forever to get in for some 'Going out of Business' sales.  While I would love the ability to be able to get in easier, I agree, there could be much animosity in the fallout of this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Klytyna said:

You try to get admitted to hospital for treatment, but all the empty beds are reserved for "healthy people"

Trying to get to this months round of Extortion8, which lasts 48 hours, and is packed solid for all 48, last year you got in by using a TP Hammer hud, at 5:30 am in the morning, it only took you 47 attempts. This year you can't get in at all, because even when there are spaces, they are reserved for Madlanders, no filthy island dwelling non premium peasants allowed. An amazing idea dreamed up by some buffoon who's clan entitles him to guaranteed Super Admin access everywhere with out having to pay premium, who still ignores the fact that 75% of sl isn't the Madlands or the Nobles who live there.

What's next? A cool idea to roll out a plan sating that in-world stores are forbidden to peasants? Perhaps a new clause in the ToSA making it legal for  Nobles to confiscate money from peasants. There's no end of ways we could reward Madlander Nobles, Hell, we could reintroduce "Droit d'Signeur" too...

Or I go to see the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra and notice that the front two rows are reserved and a few seats remain empty throughout the performance. Or I go to my local theater on two dollar Tuesday and see that the best two rows are reserved for people paying full price, and again a few seats go unused. CostCo and Sam's Club won't let me in because I'm not a member. Amazon won't give me free two day shipping unless I buy Prime.

We're picking different analogies. I don't think that will surprise anyone.

• Like 3

The problem i see is not the extra 10 available slots being empty and only for use for a premium user, but when at least 1 of the extra slots is occupied.

100 people on sim, 1 leaves, 99 people on sim, everyone has an equal chance to teleport in.

102 people on sim, one leaves, but only another premium can come in.

110 people on sim, some people leave, but only premiums will be able to get in, over and over. As long as the sim doesn't go below 100, only premium accounts get circulated on who can enter when someone leaves.

So for very popular events, the risk is that only premium accounts will be able to enter at all, because the sim will never fall below the premium bonus.

Will that cause problems? Well, would premium account only- events cause problems? Would it cause problems if not the event makers, but LL decided that all high-traffic events are now premium only events?

FYI being premium or not doesn't matter at all in how much money you spend in SL or not.

Edited by Lexbot Sinister
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lexbot Sinister said:

The problem i see is not the extra 10 available slots being empty and only for use for a premium user, but when at least 1 of the extra slots is occupied.

100 people on sim, 1 leaves, 99 people on sim, everyone has an equal chance to teleport in.

102 people on sim, one leaves, but only another premium can come in.

110 people on sim, some people leave, but only premiums will be able to get in, over and over. As long as the sim doesn't go below 100, only premium accounts get circulated on who can enter when someone leaves.

So for very popular events, the risk is that only premium accounts will be able to enter at all, because the sim will never fall below the premium bonus.

Will that cause problems? Well, would premium account only- events cause problems? Would it cause problems if not the event makers, but LL decided that all high-traffic events are now premium only events?

FYI being premium or not doesn't matter at all in how much money you spend in SL or not.

Name an event in Second Life that operated at its capacity for the entire length of its run.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Name an event in Second Life that operated at its capacity for the entire length of its run.

None of course.

But there's also a reason why they are not full the entire time. The longer an event has been ongoing, the less "new" and attractive it gets, and the whole point about events is that you get the stuff while it's brand new. Otherwise, why hammer the teleport, when you could wait for the in-store release ? Most events have very very few exclusive items.

By the time the event is easy to get into, there's another one somewhere elsewhere. The excitement for the old event is long over.

If the idea is that new events are for premiums only, that is going to repulse a lot of non-premium residents. Yes, the ones with money.

Edited by Lexbot Sinister

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.