Priority 5&6 hold animations for items

KirinGale

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2546 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been busting my butt looking for high-priority hold animations that serve as poses for purses, stuffed animals, etc. I am not looking for static, full-body animations, just ones that let you hold an item whether you're walking, etc.

I have found one animator (on MP) who had about three different p5 & p6 poses (which I've purchased), yet these came as single poses and elsewhere there has not been much for variety. So far I have made some use of the ones I have in invisiprim addons or in modifiable bags, yet these poses do not work for all styles of clutch, forearm, shoulder, or purse accessory.

The other bags I have (like the ones from zenith) come with very specific pose hold anims, yet my AO overrides anything at or under a priority 4 (using oracul AOs). So while the idle stands are fine, for everything else it is really sort of jarring to have your purse flail and float around your elbow while walking/running.

It would be really nice if creators would start making hold accessories with higher priority animations. If p4 and under are for AOs, then I think priorities 5 & 6 fit themselves nicely into the area for use only with accessories. If anyone has suggestions please let me know.

Well, the problem is, creators haven't used the priority system right since the beginning. They all just put the highest priority on all animations because heaven forbid someone want to combine animations as the system intended,

While we're on the topic, can animation creators stop locking down the neck and torso? One of the few clever things LL did was make it so avatars would look where you cammed, and react to other avatars coming into chat range or typing/speaking, by turning to look at them. I bet most people these days don't even realize avatars do that, since they don't when animation makes lock down everything even if it's not used in their particular animations.

Of course, LL could have communicated the priority system better to creators rather than just assuming everyone would instinctively know how to use it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KirinGale said:

I have been busting my butt looking for high-priority hold animations that serve as poses for purses, stuffed animals, etc. I am not looking for static, full-body animations, just ones that let you hold an item whether you're walking, etc.

I have found one animator (on MP) who had about three different p5 & p6 poses (which I've purchased), yet these came as single poses and elsewhere there has not been much for variety. So far I have made some use of the ones I have in invisiprim addons or in modifiable bags, yet these poses do not work for all styles of clutch, forearm, shoulder, or purse accessory.

The other bags I have (like the ones from zenith) come with very specific pose hold anims, yet my AO overrides anything at or under a priority 4 (using oracul AOs). So while the idle stands are fine, for everything else it is really sort of jarring to have your purse flail and float around your elbow while walking/running.

It would be really nice if creators would start making hold accessories with higher priority animations. If p4 and under are for AOs, then I think priorities 5 & 6 fit themselves nicely into the area for use only with accessories. If anyone has suggestions please let me know.

Dark Gods of the Grid NO!

There is already a problem with pose priority escalation, people wandering about in pri 4 AO's, you shouldn't need anything more than a 3. If your clutch purse is a pri 6, then hand cuff makers will need pri 7's, which means jiras calling for higher pri limits etc., etc., etc.

There's NO need for pri 5 poses for a bag, if you understand and use the pose system properly anyway, if you have a pri 3 AO, and your AO switches to Stand-1, thats the anim that plays, but your clutch purse then plays pri 3 arm-hold-bag and the arms reposed. the AO switches to sexy-walk-2, and the clutch reapplies the hold pose, all you need is an equal priority and a damn refresh script, 

That's assuming you are not using a zhao 2 style AO, if you have a zhao 2, you can ADD the hold pose to your stands. by comma separating them like this

[Stand] Stand-1,arm-hold-bag|Stand-2,arm-hold-bag|Stand-3,arm-hold-bag

1 hour ago, Penny Patton said:

While we're on the topic, can animation creators stop locking down the neck and torso? One of the few clever things LL did was make it so avatars would look where you cammed, and react to other avatars coming into chat range or typing/speaking, by turning to look at them.

One of the reasons I wear an AO, is to NOT have my head jerk all over the place like I suffer from some incurable neurological disorder every time I move my mouse from an inventory window to a menu, or a toolbar button.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

There is already a problem with pose priority escalation, people wandering about in pri 4 AO's, you shouldn't need anything more than a 3. If your clutch purse is a pri 6, then hand cuff makers will need pri 7's, which means jiras calling for higher pri limits etc., etc., etc.

Agreed completely.

6 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

One of the reasons I wear an AO, is to NOT have my head jerk all over the place like I suffer from some incurable neurological disorder every time I move my mouse from an inventory window to a menu, or a toolbar button.

That's fine. I mean, I don't think  it's nearly as bad as you're saying (especially when combined with decent overall body animations as opposed to LL's clunky default poses) but I'm not saying no one should make animations that override the neck joint, ideally I'd want animation sellers to give us options. This would be super easy for them to do, they just don't.

Give us multiple priority levels. Give us the option between locked neck or free. That's all I'm asking. By the way, back in 2005 or so, getting these options from animators was more common. These days you're lucky to get ground sit poses for multiple avatar sizes.

5 hours ago, Klytyna said:

or refresh the camera image, oh look its the perfect shot except m hand is in front of my face, just click refresh but when i move the mouse to the button my head follows it

Did you know you can freeze your animation?

Open a random animation from your inventory, doesn't matter which one. Check the box to select a custom speed. Set that to 0 and your avatar is frozen in place. Deselect the box, get into that perfect pose, check the box again and bam. Frozen in place so you can take all the screenshots you like.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2017 at 0:52 PM, Klytyna said:

There's NO need for pri 5 poses for a bag, if you understand and use the pose system properly anyway, if you have a pri 3 AO, and your AO switches to Stand-1, thats the anim that plays, but your clutch purse then plays pri 3 arm-hold-bag and the arms reposed. the AO switches to sexy-walk-2, and the clutch reapplies the hold pose, all you need is an equal priority and a damn refresh script, 

That's assuming you are not using a zhao 2 style AO, if you have a zhao 2, you can ADD the hold pose to your stands. by comma separating them like this

[Stand] Stand-1,arm-hold-bag|Stand-2,arm-hold-bag|Stand-3,arm-hold-bag

This has nothing to do with photoshoots or posing -- this has everything to do with how avatars interact with objects while moving. The issue I am finding is that; most AOs are priority 4 for walking, running, etc, while everything else in its set (sitting, stands etc) is a lower priority (I use oracul). If you have a priority 4 clutch your AO automatically overrides the animation for the joints and only resets while in a standing pose -- I have found this issue with nearly all forms of arm accessory and it is what I want to resolve.

By setting clutches, handbags, and other items with higher priorities you effectively lock the joints and avoid the grief of having items move awkwardly while your AO is active during walk or run cycles.

For example: I have several dolls, two of which have higher priority animations and stay in place while my avi moves; The others do not have these high priorities and only reset the joint positions when on lower priority idle animations (I have provided an example image).

I've asked quite a few builders and animators about the issue, rescripting doesn't always guarantee success, and it doesn't solve issues with combative priorities. I came here to see if I could simply be directed to a place where I could purchase (or be given information to create) what I needed.

Thank you.

example444.jpg

fku_002.jpg

fku_004.jpg

Edited by KirinGale

2 hours ago, KirinGale said:

This has nothing to do with photoshoots or posing -- this has everything to do with how avatars interact with objects while moving. The issue I am finding is that; most AOs are priority 4 for walking, running, etc, while everything else in its set (sitting, stands etc) is a lower priority (I use oracul). If you have a priority 4 clutch your AO automatically overrides the animation for the joints and only resets while in a standing pose -- I have found this issue with nearly all forms of arm accessory and it is what I want to resolve.

The highest priority you can upload an animation at is 4. I'm not sure how priority 5 animations are created, it may have been an old hack that doesn't work anymore. There is no such thing as a priority 6 animation, 5 is the highest:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Animation_Priority

What would happen if LL opened for general upload of pri 5 and added higher priorities is that the unscrupulous AO makers who use 4 for their animations today would start using higher ones. Because higher priority looks good in the MP description and most buyers are ignorant enough to fall for it, not realizing that high priority AO animations are the last thing they actually want and need.

Lots of food for misantropy in this.

3 hours ago, ChinRey said:

I'm not sure how priority 5 animations are created, it may have been an old hack that doesn't work anymore.

If using Firestorm, set the debug FSMaxAnimationPriority to 5

If using the LL viewer (or any viewer), see my comment on https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-9828

Alternatively, using Avastar, save the animation in the .anim format & you can specify any priority when saving.

10 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

If using Firestorm, set the debug FSMaxAnimationPriority to 5

Ok. Please do us all a favor and don't tell the AO creators about this. We really don't need a flood of priority 5 AOs on the market. ;)

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Nova Convair said:

Easy to solve. Just allow the owner to set the priority. no mod permissions have no effect here of course. Problem solved once and for all. :D

Yes, that would have been a good solution. Unfortunately, animation priority is set at upload and can't be changed afterwards.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2546 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.