Possible Scam?

Morgan Sapphire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2563 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

9 answers to this question

No it's not a scam, though it depends where you saw the message - someone may be passing around that information with the correct link changed to a malicious link.
If you saw that message on the LL viewer or Firestorm viewer motto of the day, then obviously those links are legit.

Unfortunately LL never blogged about needing to verify your email address so many people are suspicious about this announcement.

You can read all about it on Inara Pey's blog: https://modemworld.me/2017/01/28/important-verifying-your-e-mail-address-with-second-life/

• Like 7

Actually, there was a similar startup notice in the Lab's viewer earlier this year (February?). I verified my e-mail address on each of my accounts at that time, and I know many other people who did the same.  It was a topic of conversation at the time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Like Whirly stated above, that statement shows a s MotD when you log in ... unless you have disabled the login screen.

If you are afraid of any scam links, then go to your SL Dashboard, Account menu and sub-menu "Change Email Address". 

I'm not worried. But, having not verified anything, I'd expect to continue getting messages somewhere. I never read the MotD, so maybe I am!

Edited by Madelaine McMasters

2 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I never read the MotD, so maybe I am!

The message doesn't come up until you start the login process -- which makes sense, since it has to give you a link that is unique to the account logging in.  I have a tendency to type in my password, hit login, and walk away or bring up the browser while waiting for the login to happen.  Due to this, I only saw the message once the other day when I just happened to walk away but come back before the login finished.

On 4/15/2017 at 8:58 AM, Madelaine McMasters said:

I'm not worried. But, having not verified anything, I'd expect to continue getting messages somewhere. I never read the MotD, so maybe I am!

The Lab is working to reduce their appearance of being a spammer. Soon they will ONLY send email to verified addresses. If you have SL/Linden email arriving now, go to your dashboard and in you entry area for email next to your email address you'll see a verify button.

• Like 1

Just now, Nalates Urriah said:

The Lab is working to reduce their appearance of being a spammer. Soon they will ONLY send email to verified addresses. If you have SL/Linden email arriving now, go to your dashboard and in you entry area for email next to your email address you'll see a verify button.

I looked carefully at the MotD message yesterday and I've verified my e-mail address.

48 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I don't recall ever seen that message, nor do I recall verifying anything recently. Hmmm.

Like Whirly stated above, that statement shows a s MotD when you log in ... unless you have disabled the login screen.

If you are afraid of any scam links, then go to your SL Dashboard, Account menu and sub-menu "Change Email Address". 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2563 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.