BNF syntax for LSL? (ideally YACC+LEX files)

Restless Swords

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2559 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

LSL is not officially documented. Most info's about it you find in the wiki and thats user made.

Scripts remain on the server, you can only upload source code and the server will compile and save it. You can not compile it yourself.

There is an LSL plugin for Eclipse that includes syntax check and can simulate an environment with running scripts. So someone has build at least an interpreter. The plugin name is lslforge - besides of that I doubt that you will find much info about LSL. 

• Like 2

I understand that scripts are compiled/executed on the server.

But, there are several aff-line editors (stand-alone, in eclipse, etc) and formatters/pretty-printers.

- hence i believe there are almost certainly at least one BNF grammer file floating around, and likely yacc/lex files

All i can do is hope, and cross my fingers and toes.

As far as I know (which, admittedly, isn't very far) the tool commonly used when making syntax checkers for offline editors is lslint but I have no idea what connection, if any, that has with YACC and LEX files.

All I can suggest is contacting direct some of the people who make the various off-line editors and asking their advice.

Edited by Innula Zenovka

Lex and yacc (or rather their GNU dopplegangers) used to ship with the viewer, but that was torn out a few years ago when syntax highlighting was remade.  It won't have all the current functions, but it is srill good to learn how LSL parses things.  Look maybe in old viewer release notes for a copy that still has those files.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2017 at 4:04 PM, Cerise Sorbet said:

Lex and yacc (or rather their GNU dopplegangers) used to ship with the viewer, but that was torn out a few years ago when syntax highlighting was remade.  It won't have all the current functions, but it is srill good to learn how LSL parses things.  Look maybe in old viewer release notes for a copy that still has those files.

Wish I knew this back then when it was included! Now getting more and more into parsing.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2559 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.