17 posts in this topic

Why isn't there a sub category of 'wrestling' and or 'boxing'? I have seen tons of the wrestling and boxing equipment for which there is a big following. But no sub category in Market Place to list it under. There is lots of the equipment in MP and for sale in world.
Currently there is a sub category for fishing and camping and hunting (what exactly is hunted, the Easter wabbit.?). But the equipment for that seem to be more for decor then anything. But I could be wrong.

Since some complain about things being not categorized correctly give some of us who do care the ability to categorize our stuff in a more precise manner.. I mean for instance where would a fighting octagon go? Or Wrestling singlets? Or boxing shorts? Just under sporting goods? But if i had a fishing pole I know exactly where it would go and likely would be de-listed if I didn't put it under fishing equipment.

Hello Studcrusher!

Thank you for your comments regarding the categories on the Second Life Marketplace.  At the time of the most recent category overhaul, users were asked for suggestions and ideas for new categories, but unfortunately, no one at the time suggested Wrestling or Boxing.

Hello Studcrusher,

At this time, Customer Support had no information regarding when the Marketplace Team might be doing another category overhaul. 

Unfortunately, it will be necessary to monitor the forums and blogs for any updates directly from the Marketplace team.

1 person likes this

as user i'm not really convinced adding more and more subcategories will make the search easier and i'm affraid more people will get lost in the wood of choices. Using good keywords/tags will provide a better experience imho .. too many sellers still scam the search with unrelevant and unneeded lists of keywords.

for example here one for a lady's short:

dress,mesh dress,black,fit,fitted,fitmesh,top,HUD,skirt, shirt,maitreya,tmp,belleza,slink,pink,red,bottom,body,sexy,original,women,clothes,item,hourglass,freya,isis,blueberry,white,blue,latex,leather

in red the, for me... totally useless keywords ...spam

if you look for a dress, mesh dress, top, hud, skirt shirt, bottom,  ... you don't want to see a short! and what "body", "original", and "item" have to do with search is a  huge ??? for me

2 people like this

I never narrow search to particular categories because so many items are listed under the wrong one.
I prefer to search with keywords, but as Alwin says, the amount of listings that have keyword spam is ridiculous.
I gave up flagging listings for keyword spam because there's just too many of them.

2 people like this

At least now they give more weight to listing titles than keywords. My suggestion is always to greatly reduce the keyword box capacity, problem (almost) solved.

1 person likes this

Greetings!

Thank you all for your additional comments regarding the existing issues with category selections and keywords.

Merchants have previously requested a full listing of the currently available Marketplace categories and that has been added as a sticky to this forum to help.  

Unfortunately, due to the sheer number of available categories, many sellers are either not aware of what is available, or are not sure which one their items should be placed into.

If you come across listings that you believe are in an incorrect category, PLEASE report the listing using the Flag this item link that is on the listing itself.  This is the only way Linden Lab will be able to address the issue and help the sellers ensure that they are placing their items into the correct category.

While we understand the reluctance of some users to report item listings because they may feel it is "snitching", or they believe that it is the responsibility of Linden Lab to manually look for issues, Linden Lab does not have the resources to dedicate to trying to review 4,999,573+ active listings and we heavily rely on the users of the Marketplace to assist us.

The only way to ensure that the Marketplace is a valuable resource is if we work together to make it that way.  When you are aware of an issue but do not let us know so that we can help educate the sellers the issue continues and the quality of the Marketplace as a resource degrades. 

The Marketplace is 100% a user resource, and yes, we understand that there are features and functions that the users would like to see implemented, but we all must work with what we have now, today. 

4 hours ago, Dakota Linden said:

While we understand the reluctance of some users to report item listings because they may feel it is "snitching", or they believe that it is the responsibility of Linden Lab to manually look for issues, Linden Lab does not have the resources to dedicate to trying to review 4,999,573+ active listings and we heavily rely on the users of the Marketplace to assist us.

The only way to ensure that the Marketplace is a valuable resource is if we work together to make it that way.

the problem in this, as we also see here on the forums, we report... but often no action is taken.. thát and the relisting/reposting often makes motivation to report/flag going to 0 (zero)

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

.. thát and the relisting/reposting often makes motivation to report/flag going to 0 (zero)

Yeah that.  It's a never ending game of whack-a-mole.

1 person likes this

Hello Alwin,

Not every report results in action taken. 

The Marketplace Moderators can only address the issue that was used to flag the item. 

If the Item is flagged for incorrect category, but the category is acceptable, no action will be taken, even if the user who reported the issue believes that the item should be in a different category.

And using the example keywords from your post above:

for example here one for a lady's short:

dress,mesh dress,black,fit,fitted,fitmesh,top,HUD,skirt,shirt,maitreya,tmp,belleza,slink,pink,red,bottom,body,sexy,original,women,clothes,item,hourglass,freya,isis,blueberry,white,blue,latex,leather

Nothing in red is considered keyword spam on its own.  If the item is a skirt and shirt combination that looks like a dress, has a color changing HUD, is fitmesh, can be used with any of the avatar systems in black text, and has a texture that mimics leather, then there is no keyword spam.

If the item is a pair of ladies shorts, then yes, those terms would be considered keyword spam and the item should be reported. 

The item will be unlisted and the user will be sent a message letting them know so that they can fix the issue. 

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, Dakota Linden said:

Hello Alwin,

Upload a profile pic, Dakota!

We all want to see what you think you should look like to us.

;-).

ETA: Tommy did, you can too.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters

1 minute ago, Dakota Linden said:

My Avatar is a bird. Nothing special :)

Pics, or we don't believe you.

2 people like this

6 hours ago, Dakota Linden said:

If the item is a pair of ladies shorts, then yes,

as said the item is just that. This line of keywords isn't made up, it's copied from your MP.

I'll stop about it, going further will discuss the moderation, and that;s not allowed.

How hard would it be to implement some sort of reward system? If I could do something here I would reward the residents who are willing to help and for each report that was justified I would transfer a certain amount of lindens into their account, even 1L$ would mean much :) and if someone made a false report then a certain amount would be taken from their account. 

1 person likes this

Hello Tamara, 

Unfortunately, Customer Support and the Marketplace Team are unable to implement a reward system of that type.  

Anything like that would definitely have to come from On High at the Lab.  That is, people WAY above my pay grade. :)

You can always try to send in the suggestion to the corporate office to see if that is something that they might be interested in researching further. 

1 person likes this