HarrisonMcKenzie

Fantasy - What races/avatar types do you want to use?

Outside of humans and elves, I wanted to know what kinds of fantasy races and avatar types roleplayers would like to use? Specifically, what kind of avatar do you have/want to put together but maybe have trouble finding a place to play? Are there certain kinds of fantastic races that are more or less common in roleplay?

Edited by HarrisonMcKenzie

I'm currently spending most of my time in an ERP sim with an ancient Greek/Minoan theme as a minotaur.

Snapshot_493.thumb.png.c712c6341e656a39ff8449a037fa6a98.png

Orcs (tho in SL "orcs" tend to be more like ogres) and elves tend to be the most common fantasy races I seen. If we don't count giants, since most giants in SL are unintentional. As far as races one might have trouble finding a place to play? I'm not certain that's really an issue in SL. Most fantasy sims I've seen have been open to all races. Really, I'd say a bigger issue is finding a good RP sim with a strong theme. Most of them are just generic medieval high-fantasy and I think that's because they want to appeal to as many people as possible.

2 hours ago, Penny Patton said:

If we don't count giants, since most giants in SL are unintentional.

Lol. A friend and I always joke about the old timey mantriangles.

I kind of understand what you mean with theme. I see the same problem in tabletop gaming, where so many fantasy games are actually incredibly generic, despite having a "unique" setting. Would you say that a fantasy sim should have a more rich setting, or should it try to do something really different?

1 hour ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

Lol. A friend and I always joke about the old timey mantriangles.

Old timey? I still see them everywhere. And I can count the number of "normal human guy" avatars in SL that were under 7' tall on one hand and still have enough fingers free to operate complicated machinery.

1 hour ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

Would you say that a fantasy sim should have a more rich setting, or should it try to do something really different?

Why not both? To flesh out a setting there's plenty of human history, and pre-history, to draw upon for non-medieval settings.

Go full "Pirates of the Caribbean" and do a pirate lore themed fantasy world where a great flood has reduced most landmasses to small islands. There is so much pirate/nautical lore you can utilize in creating a rich story for a world like that. From old pirate legends to books like "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea".

How about ancient "sword and sandals" settings like ancient Greece or Rome? Plenty of mythology to create a rich fantasy world from that. Or borrow heavily from those settings and put it in a fantasy age like the Conan books/movies do. Same goes for ancient Egypt as well as Asian history/mythology. I know there's a couple historical Roman RP places in SL, not sure about mythological/fantasy versions of them.

Christianity has a lot of mythology that is fantastic to draw upon for fantasy. Why not a whole sim based on "Dante's Inferno"?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Penny Patton said:

Old timey? I still see them everywhere.

I meant how a lot of people look like old timey circus strong men. The kind who wore leotards, had big triangular chest, and lifted those spherical dumbbells all the time.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

I meant how a lot of people look like old timey circus strong men. The kind who wore leotards, had big triangular chest, and lifted those spherical dumbbells all the time.

Gonad the Boybarian... People who think a 4 ft steel girder is a more efficient cutting weapon than a razor sharp carving knife...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Penny Patton said:

Why not a whole sim based on "Dante's Inferno"?

All of those circles would fit well with your rez-on-demand approach to building, Penny. So it wouldn't take much by way of land or LI to make it work, maybe a simple build to show the descent and then detailed sections rezzed as needed. 

• Like 1