Nvidia latest v381.65 update making SL unable to open

Vamerya Vallejo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2566 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I updated Nvidia drivers yesterday to v381.65. I have a Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 model and now all versions of SL are not even able to open. I read I needed to update to the newest Windows 10 Creators update which I did do, still not able to even load SL. I am now trying to roll back to an older driver but trying to find an old driver for them is like pulling teeth. So others might be having this issue. I hope and would appreciate any suggestions you might have to help. Thanks in advance. I've never ever had an issue in all my years playing SL in not being able to even load SL on all versions, so very frustrating.

Windows 10 64 bit version.

Vamerya Vallejo.

5 answers to this question

@Vamerya Vallejo
What actually happened when you launched the viewer?  Was it crashing to desktop?

A lot of people are crashing on launch after updating to the latest Nvidia driver.
The cause seems to be that Shadowplay/Share is being enabled by default after the update.  Disabling Shadowplay/Share is fixing the problem.

Edited by Whirly Fizzle
grammer
  • Like 2

@Rolig Loon I haven't had any particular problems so far with Windows 10.   I think the most important precaution anyone can take -- and this has always been the case -- is disabling Windows' attempts to update drivers automatically and, instead, downloading and installing  them direct from the device manufacturer's site (in this case Nvidia).

It shouldn't make a difference, but Microsoft seem to do something to the Nvidia drivers they install that SL really doesn't like.   I had no end of problems with SL every time Microsoft updated my drivers for me until someone alerted me to this fix, way back in my Windows XP days, and since I've disabled the automatic driver updates and, instead, signed up to be notified by Nvidia when there's a new driver to install, I've had very few problems.

• Like 4

Yes, while "resistance if futile" and actually lots of folks are looking forward to the "fix" for the update issues in Win10 (I oddly don't have a problem but I bought the Pro Win10 version at the advice of some web gurus) it is almost always wisest to wait  -- and defer when you can -- the update process. Let Microsoft work out its bugs before YOU get the update  === that's what I say anyway.

And for anyone that is interesting in their security and privacy there are MANY more grabs for privacy info in this new update so going through your security settings after update is certainly advised. Look this up on the web or check my Google Plus page where there is a link to a good article. We aren't supposed to post that kind of stuff here (I am guessing that is still true) so not putting a link :D.

Glad you got it fixed!!!  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2566 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.