Whats causing these broken meshes?

cykarushb

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2562 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So ive noticed with some particular mesh parts on avatars, specifically hands and heads, i sometimes get bugged out meshes.

pic related

Screenshot_23.png.501cf4b293f18b855e47822099040ba3.png

Any idea what causes these? Changing settings dont seem to do much. Turning off hardware skinning stops that but results in the next pic.

Screenshot_24.thumb.png.263df0a572298e3a14300fc7f6d5c9c6.png

Ive tried everything from bare minimum to ultra presets, tweaking individual settings, lots of stuff.

I have a feeling its my viewer, but others on newer viewers have also said they sometimes have similar problems, again mainly with hands and heads.

This isnt a powerful machine but it runs everything SL just fine around my settings and i can do more if i dont mind dropping to 40fps on average. Specs below

Screenshot_25.png.343f82827f7a2265948e5bb18a6c52e1.png

That was a VERY OLD PROBLEM about three or four years ago. I thought it was gone but apparently not -- for some people. It has been so long ago I don't remember what the cause was. I DID have it for awhile and it did have something to do with mesh when mesh was new. It was "me" and not "everyone", so you can assume there is a fix.  You didn't say what viewer you are using but updating to a new one might be good. Are yo using a mesh enabled viewer?  It seems very unlikely that folks would have mesh bodies though and not mesh clothes LOL.   

Dancing in the dark here.  The fact that you are on XP which is no longer supported by ANYONE LOL, might have something to do with it.  That is a pretty low end computer for SL. 

Likely someone will remember what that issue was and maybe how to fix it. 

Oh Boy, You're still on Windows XP.

That looks like the LL viewer in your images, so you must be on the Obsolete Platforms viewer, is that correct?
This one: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/3.7.28.300847

That viewer, or any viewer that will still run on XP won't support Bento, so you will be seeing all Bento mesh in a broken state.

20 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Oh Boy, You're still on Windows XP.

That looks like the LL viewer in your images, so you must be on the Obsolete Platforms viewer, is that correct?
This one: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/3.7.28.300847

That viewer, or any viewer that will still run on XP won't support Bento, so you will be seeing all Bento mesh in a broken state.

Yeah its the legacy viewer. Most stuff works just fine, its just occasionally some peoples hands and heads. Ill ask people if theyre using Bento components.

Might be time to upgrade the OS then, only reason im still using XP is because this thing came with XP and i dont have a 7 disc + key around.

The hardware though is ok-ish for SL, its not that bad in 720p

The hardware is old, fullstop.
You might actually be better off with Win10, since there is lots of positive feedback on how well it suits older hardware.

Try to find a good offer for a valid key ... not one of those shady 10 bucks "hey, I fell of a truck" copies ... and you can get the Windows install ISO straight from Microsoft, so you can either burn it to a disc on your own or configure a boot stick. The Windows Media Creation tool will assist you with either option.

You should still be able to upgrade a Win7 key to a Win10 one, if you reguster your key and link it to your Microsoft account.

1 hour ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

The hardware is old, fullstop.
You might actually be better off with Win10, since there is lots of positive feedback on how well it suits older hardware.

Try to find a good offer for a valid key ... not one of those shady 10 bucks "hey, I fell of a truck" copies ... and you can get the Windows install ISO straight from Microsoft, so you can either burn it to a disc on your own or configure a boot stick. The Windows Media Creation tool will assist you with either option.

You should still be able to upgrade a Win7 key to a Win10 one, if you reguster your key and link it to your Microsoft account.

I know the hardware is old but it still does SL just fine for me, most of my issues seem to be related to the legacy viewer.

Im thinking either 7 or possibly going to Linux, but i had issues before with the client not working even with the 32 bit package patches on linux so im not sure how well that would go.

I wouldnt do windows 10 since i dislike most of its telemetry things and i dont think it would perform that well on something of this caliber. Ive only got 3gb of ram and idle on windows 10 can hit 1-1.5gb on its own just for the OS. Which is a far cry from windows xp using about 150mb, and Linux using around 70mb (if i use something like WindowMaker/gnustep or LXDE)

So an update on this, around an hour later. I went to install Lubuntu 17.04, the new release. Sounded just fine.

Installer couldnt connect to my wifi network, it was using a driver for a device i did not have and it did not function fully. That already was a bad sign.

So i said screw it, ill fix it later, im installing alongside windows xp anyway. Partition out a 20gb space for it and let it go to work. I didnt want to lose some windows only applications like AutoCAD, Sketchup, a few other bits of professional software i have. Midway through partitioning it crashes. Just freezes up, spits out some fancy xorg errors and my computer shuts down.

woop

Windows starts back up, disk checking, let it run, disk partitions are borked. Windows XP is broken beyond repair, i whipped my usb stick out a window. Posting this from my phone.

Ive installed linux on machines dozens of times and never had a detrimental error on install, definitely not while partitioning.

Fantastic. As it turns out most of the 3rd party viewers dont support bento anyway, and the Linux SL viewer is buggy as can be.

Im just gonna drop my Gt 710 in another somewhat newer athlon machine i have lying around that already has windows 7 on it (i think).

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2562 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.