The Home and Garden thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1593 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Do you change your land with the Seasons? I have palms now... I consider replacing them, using temperate plants with yellow and read foliage instead. The thing is, my house is looking good with palms, for a temperate climate I would prefer another house. Lots of work...

Edited by Marianne Little

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Do you change your land with the Seasons? I have palms now... I consider replacing them, using temperate plants with yellow and read foliage instead. The thing is, my house is looking good with palms, for a temperate climate I would prefer another house. Lots of work...

Don't, snow will look weird if your neighbours don't have it ;)

10 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I should Google California Christmas then. I don't know any good looks for Christmas without snow. Maybe just forget Christmas decor on the ground, and have a Winter skybox.

I think there are some sand snowmen around and of course you can add holly wreaths and a christmas tree...

Edited by Fionalein
  • Thanks 1

On 8/13/2018 at 8:18 PM, Marianne Little said:

I show the previous image again, I have changed the driveway, notice how big and grey it was, replaced the tennis court with flowers, now I show the other side, against the sea.roost_012.jpg.92e087d37873d3dbe48a57f2b68d01df.jpg

It was such a boxy look. Rectangle, rectangle, square, garden wall, a green area that I never used (it was not inviting to be there, it was a mess) and too many stairs up and down and levels.

Now:

night_002.thumb.jpg.99bce6103435f344f1658d667577202b.jpg

Now, infinity pool!

night_017.jpg.d63481436a56996e0c8b53a02fa82a0f.jpg

No more walls.

night_015.jpg

night_018.jpg

I kept looking at your pic and thinking gosh that looks like the land I sold about 18 months ago. And sure enough, I ran over to check to see if it really was the same land. Here's my house in that location. Funny, we had the same house too!

Kanaloa.thumb.jpg.b1a8a178a24da9f30914e80b2c4481cc.jpg

I think you bought my neighbors land actually that ran right up to the store on the east side. I used to derender most of that store. Living on the L-shaped lake is a great location. I love it. But when I retired RL, I decided that I need to reduce my SL living expenses. So I moved everything onto my Barcola land. 

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I should Google California Christmas then. I don't know any good looks for Christmas without snow. Maybe just forget Christmas decor on the ground, and have a Winter skybox.

Christmas in California looks pretty much the same as it does other places (in the US, anyway). Wreaths, candy canes, and a whole lot of lights are all you need. Snow is entirely optional. This picture was taken near Lake Tahoe where they do have snow and plenty of it, but at lower elevations the scene is much the same.

Tahoe.PNG

Edited by Dillon Levenque
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I built this house recently for my Barcola parcel. The parcel has terraforming locked, and since I like to have my house sitting right on the water, I decided to make a multi-level home that followed the shape of the land. Also, I hate feeling boxed in, so I basically placed the windows and then built the walls around the window placement.

Barcola_001.png.1350a48a4779fac72da2d3d95736d0a1.png

I always seem to be missing a dance floor in my homes, so this time I set out to make it an integral part of my home. So here you open the front door, walk in, and you're in the party room complete with a music system and intan.

Barcola_006.png.d7fd8cb1ec2a0843fe9c0a65ed0414e7.pngBarcola_002.png.fd992f1daedcaaf4c8ee6ac031b534ce.png

Down the hall is the bedroom and bath area. I hate feeling closed off in my SL homes. This house has only a front door and a back door. No doors or walls to block my view of the water.

Barcola_003.png.28bb6169aec0c8f9e537daa9e1b767d2.pngBarcola_004.png.37886ba8b1bff25c46279398c57d16fa.pngBarcola_005.png.bed641b93df924b89540a744c57f614d.png

My living room sets right on the water with a door to the dock at the back of the house where my pet dolphin greets me.

Barcola_007.png.e6c3c8c42a0f693792584fb1995fc2b1.pngBarcola_009.png.2dee9827213b51b1e08e0d732b66f379.png

Barcola_008.png.df2f782b2a1c10784930cad3306186c9.png

I love this house, but knowing me, it won't last long before I'm itching to build something else. I've made a model for flat land too.

I love this house, but knowing me, it won't last long before I'm itching to build something else. I've made a model for flat land to

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

I kept looking at your pic and thinking gosh that looks like the land I sold about 18 months ago. And sure enough, I ran over to check to see if it really was the same land. Here's my house in that location. Funny, we had the same house too!

Kanaloa.thumb.jpg.b1a8a178a24da9f30914e80b2c4481cc.jpg

I think you bought my neighbors land actually that ran right up to the store on the east side. I used to derender most of that store. Living on the L-shaped lake is a great location. I love it. But when I retired RL, I decided that I need to reduce my SL living expenses. So I moved everything onto my Barcola land. 

That is so great, yes I live next to the store. I don't think it is soooo bad, worse with the little plot right over. But it's great to have derender.

I changed a little bit, moved the driveway as far away from the "totem pole" plot. I managed to buy just enough land for an opening there. Damned metal rails, LL places them there and will not remove them.

I took these images with an alt. She has nothing on derender, I managed to hide the "totem poles" in the trees. You can see a bit of red and yellow.

I hope my neighbor to the left stays a long time! She has lovely trees.

Llake_001.jpg

Llake_002.jpg

Llake_003.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

That is so great, yes I live next to the store. I don't think it is soooo bad, worse with the little plot right over. But it's great to have derender.

I mostly derendered the stuff floating on the water over in that corner. There were some random items that had particles and I derendered those because they'd float up into view. When I lived there the guy who had the parcel you now have raised breedable lions, and his walls were not as high as yours so much more from that store was visible. I really do miss living there. It was wonderful for sailing, car trips, and riding my bento horse up into the mountains.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2018 at 7:15 AM, Callum Meriman said:

You have a lovely home :D Wonderful!

If I may make a recommendation and gentle suggestion :D as I am oft want to do.

Check out the new modular cliffs from Alex Bader/Skye. Very low prim and incredibly easy to work with.

Snapshot_005s.thumb.png.f8679c7413bf78c0cbdea4014e761c89.png

Snapshot_006s.thumb.png.29d233a179fab59d5a137310ec43d148.png

imageproxy.php?img=&key=e5f5edf17e7ad1aa

Ok, I had to get them!

Yes, I got a bit set back when Skye started to sell mesh. I was used to huge lumps of trees in sculpts, like 16 trees for 2 prims, and then he released a tiny birch that counted as 5 LI.

But these cliffs, they look so much better than what I had. Wish I didn't buy those other, super expensive ones. I got the Cuesta ones from Skye too. I got the texture from the top of the Cuesta rocks, so now my land looks nicely put together.

Llake_006.jpg

Llake_005.jpg

Llake_004.jpg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

I built this house recently for my Barcola parcel. The parcel has terraforming locked, and since I like to have my house sitting right on the water, I decided to make a multi-level home that followed the shape of the land. Also, I hate feeling boxed in, so I basically placed the windows and then built the walls around the window placement.

Barcola_001.png.1350a48a4779fac72da2d3d95736d0a1.png

I always seem to be missing a dance floor in my homes, so this time I set out to make it an integral part of my home. So here you open the front door, walk in, and you're in the party room complete with a music system and intan.

Barcola_006.png.d7fd8cb1ec2a0843fe9c0a65ed0414e7.pngBarcola_002.png.fd992f1daedcaaf4c8ee6ac031b534ce.png

Down the hall is the bedroom and bath area. I hate feeling closed off in my SL homes. This house has only a front door and a back door. No doors or walls to block my view of the water.

Barcola_004.png.37886ba8b1bff25c46279398c57d16fa.png

My living room sets right on the water with a door to the dock at the back of the house where my pet dolphin greets me.

Barcola_007.png.e6c3c8c42a0f693792584fb1995fc2b1.pngBarcola_009.png.2dee9827213b51b1e08e0d732b66f379.png

I love this house, but knowing me, it won't last long before I'm itching to build something else. I've made a model for flat land too.

Oh, when I read the bolded, I had to check you out. I agree about having the house follow the terrain. Your MP store don't have your new builds? It is so few houses that follow the terrain in SL.

This is the second incarnation of my in-house swimming pool. There is swimming HUD which works in Linden water as well as in prim water. The HUD package has a script what you drop into the contents of prim and it turns the prim swim-able. You size the prim to the same size as the pool water volume is and place it into the pool - turn it 100 % transparent. Done.
Get AT - Swimmer at (with amazing price of L$0):
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/AT-Swimmer/5646038?page=1

Testing floating in the pool.
Swimming in the pool works just like swimming in Linden waters does. Which is great as the pool has now some actual use, not only being a decoration.
2018-09-12_Pool-Swimming-Test1.thumb.jpg.4afa8441fafb50987cbdabbb34a0d6c2.jpg

And below, a bigger view of the upstairs pool area.
I had to make some ramps to access the pool because the railings in Linden home cannot be removed. There are also two glass ramps inside of the pool so it's easy to climb up from pool. (A part of the stairs leading downstairs can be seen at the bottom right corner in the image.)
2018-09-12_Pool-Swimming-Test3.thumb.jpg.04e647b2e4881e8dfa23e686c68ae6e4.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I made simple one prim seats around the table in my "supposed to be Japanese" room. Naturally the chairs needed also some Japanese animations. Oracul had one Japanese AO where I took standing bow and kneeling bow animations. With AVsitter it was quick job to adjust the animation positions in the seats.

2018-09-15_Japanese-bowing.thumb.jpg.0c07bf772ea3a8d4ef848f7e58546967.jpg

Hmm... the local lighting is not good in the above picture. The light from the table lamp and the candles go straight through the table and light the floor.

To correct the lighting I adjusted the light radius of the table lamp and the candles so that their light does not reach as far where the floor is. Then I made one projector light and put it high above the table. Looking more natural now as the lights don't pass through the table. And the projector light creates nice convincing looking shadows.

2018-09-15_Better-Lighting.thumb.jpg.6a8673cd4e4a6d117817dddb93c9b33f.jpg

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I need a TP system that look better than the discs. In some stores I can click a poster, the map open and gives me a dot, showing the new destination. I then click Teleport on the map. How do I get a script like that?

Outwoldz, where you get all the other script snippets too ;)

Click me!

But be sure to check for attached licences on those scripts.

tech talk: basically it is usually just a sitter that moves with you, ejects you at target destination and comes back...

Edited by Fionalein

My Linden home how it looks on 19 September 2018. Not fully furnished yet.

1. Downstairs

At morning. The room is really huge. So I made two brick division walls to divide the space into three smaller areas. The big picture on the wall is not full bright. It's lit by projector light which is attached on the ceiling behind the brick division wall. I have many local lights which give nice effect to the interior.
2018-09-19_LindenHome-1.thumb.jpg.cb2c9be7d2099f62fa133a39cd719758.jpg

2. Downstairs, another view

This location is quite nice as in front of the house there is some free space without the next house being very close to this one.
There are even two tables and benches provided by Linden Lab. When you sit on the bench all kinds food appear on the table. So I might not need a kitchen. :D
2018-09-19_LindenHome-2.thumb.jpg.879d1421d3a3272b68d51c23e6ad7245.jpg

3. View from outside

The house has 512 square meters downstairs and 512 square meters upstairs. It's like palace. Carefully selecting only very low LI items (1 LI, 2 LI) it's possible to furnish the whole house quite nicely. For example, seen on the patio and on the balcony there is a set of four seats + table + candles + tree, only 1 LI per set. The seats have lots of single and couple animations. As a bonus there is a glimpse of the sea from the balcony. And even more when you go onto the roof of the house. xD I'm quite pleased with this Linden home.
2018-09-19_LindenHome-3.thumb.jpg.52b5b42f3f593a7461cb6e77cea84130.jpg

• Like 8

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1593 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.