How to lock/freeze the body parts at one place in an animation

KuttiChinky

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2563 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello friends,

I am new to this animation stuff. I need your expert advice and help.

I have successfully created a device and added static poses to it. Now I want to add an animation to it. I have created the animation in DAZ Studio and exported it as .BVH file. I have also added it to the device. Now, while I created the animation, I pinned the hands and feet so that they don't move. But at some place they moved slightly. I took utmost care and they didn't seem to move a lot. 

But when I uploaded it on SL and played it on the device, the avatar started moving all over the device, sometimes inside it and sometimes above it.

The device is a cross intended for Crucifixion RPs. I added 2 static crucified poses, 1 for Mesh avatars and other one for Legacy/Vanilla avatars due to variations in leg position. Now, I added a "Struggle" animation that I created using DAZ Studio. The accused is supposed to be fixed to the cross by means of nails. Hence, the palms and feet should be fixed to the respective points on the cross and the body should move.  But on plying the animation, my avatar keeps moving everywhere, up and down, inside the cross and sometimes too outside and nails come out of the cross lol. Avatar is too strong while struggling :P

Tried QAvimator, failed miserably as I had no idea how to lock the things at one place. 

Please help. Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Edited by KuttiChinky

I have used the pinning feature in Daz, but I'm not sure why it's not working for you. Maybe, it has to do with how it is keyframed. That's my only guess there.

In Blender, with Avastar, we get an advanced IK system to do exactly what you are trying to do. I have a video on the topic, but this also means you'll need to learn to animate in Blender.

Well, If I remember correctly, the pinning doesn't actually hold the parts in place in the animation. You have to create keyframes in the animation at those key points where all the movement is occurring in the body. You probably would need to keyframe every frame of the animation to keep the arms and legs in place.

Blender is free! Avastar, is not, but if you buy it soon, then it's only like $27. In Blender, with Avastar, these are some of the IK controls.

SketchIK.png

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2563 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.