Rezzing in random locations

LXIX Tomorrow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2566 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hey, did something change in the past few days?  I have a butterfly rezzer, that I bought years ago, and it's never given me any trouble.  In fact, it's been sitting in the exact same place for over a year now, doing it's job, untouched.  A few days ago I got a slew of messages telling me that my butterflies were being returned from all over the place, same sim, nearby sims, just all over.  When I reset it, and tried to rez more butterflies, the same thing happens, they rez all over the place, when they are supposed to be within 4 meters.  I tried to contact the creator, but he's long since gone ... any ideas about what might be going on here?

20 answers to this question

A rezzer cannot rez anything more than 10 m away.  That's a limitation of LSL. If we want to rez things and have them appear farther away, they each have to contain a script that moves them physically after they have rezzed.  So, if your butterflies are all over the place, it's not the rezzer that's doing it, at least not directly.  It's the butterflies.  They are getting bad information from somewhere  I can't tell without seeing the scripts, of course, but I suspect that the rezzer lets you set an effective radius  (4 m or whatever) with a chat command or a note in the rezzer's Description field.  The rezzer then passes that limit on to the butterflies as they rez.   Again, I can't tell without seeing the rezzer, but I'm going to guess that it's something very simple.  Maybe you typed 40 instead of 4.0.  Or maybe you put a blank in the Description field instead of putting any number in it at all.  Look carefully at the instructions for the rezzer and then at whatever you gave as commands. 

Incidentally, rezzers like that are notorious resource hogs, often responsible for a lot of lag because they are constantly temp-rezzing objects.  Many landowners, in fact, forbid them for that reason. There are some very good butterfly devices that create particle butterflies that cannot lag a region at all. You might want to look into one of those as a substitute for yours.

• Like 2

Well, I appreciate the comment, and I agree with everything you said, but I did say that I have owned this thing for years (about 8 years), and that it has been sitting in the same spot, untouched, for over a year now. This just started happening, out of the blue, a few days ago, so I assumed there was some system change, or something weird, that caused this. I can't believe that something like this just happens all of a sudden, for no reason.

It's repeatable, when I try to rez new butterflies, they appear a long ways away (I know how to find them, I'm not a noob), so something strange is happening here. By the way, this one is not a resource hog (again, I'm not a noob), it cleans up after itself, and replaces the objects every few hours, and it takes only a few milliseconds. Something weird happened a few days ago, and it's persistent.

I am aware of other "good butterfly devices", and I appreciate the suggestion ... I'm just trying to figure out what's going on here.

... thanks.

As Rhonda says, script variables do get messed up from time to time, and it's not always easy to figure out why.  It could be that some curious visitor played with the rezzer or that some internal list finally overloaded after all those years or that some new device nearby shares the same comm channel ...... Who knows?  As I commented to someone else about an hour ago, I do not like unsolved problems, and I really hate mysterious solutions.   It's much more comforting to know exactly why a device fails to work as designed.  Still, there are times when it's most productive to simply toss a troublesome device and replace it.  This may be one of those times.  If resetting the script doesn't cure it, go shopping.

Thanks, but I did say "when I reset it", that meant that I reset the scripts (yes, I know how).  The really weird thing is they will sometimes rez in adjacent sims, far far away, that seems impossible to me, but it's repeatable.  Again, I've owned this thing for years, haven't touched it for over a year, and this just started happening a few days ago, I wasn't even online when it started, I just got messages telling me that they had been returned from far away places that they shouldn't possibly be able to get to.  I think something weird is gong on with the sim (this is in Nova Albion), because yesterday (Sunday) I logged on and found "copies" of some trees that I had moved the day before (Saturday), in their original location.  Rolling re-start day there is Tuesday (today), maybe this will all clear itself up.

Rolig's comment that "some new device nearby shares the same comm channel" is an intriguing possibility.

Another odd thing is, why am I listed as a noob here?  I've been active in the forums for years and years, and posted hundreds, if not thousands, of times.

Edited by LXIX Tomorrow

54 minutes ago, LXIX Tomorrow said:

Another odd thing is, why am I listed as a noob here?  I've been active in the forums for years and years, and posted hundreds, if not thousands, of times.

Maybe something got messed up with your account in the forum transition.  Someone did discover that 'Resident' accounts could accidentally create a second login here at the forum, so maybe there is another odd bug associated with accounts here.  
  (edit)  I'm seeing two forum accounts that might be you -- LXIX Freund and LXIX Tomorrow.  Are you logging in using a Display name?  The inworld search showed "LX (LXIX Tomorrow)"

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

14 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Are you logging in using a Display name?  The inworld search showed "LX (LXIX Tomorrow)"

That's the full name I'm logging in with ... LXIX Tomorrow.

Thanks ... this issue doesn't bother me nearly as much as the butterfly rezzer, but Rolig gave me an idea, and I'm at least narrowing it down.

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

some new device nearby shares the same comm channel

So, your comment gave me the idea to take it to a public rez zone far far away, and guess what, it works fine there.  So there's definitely something new near my parcel that's screwing it up.  In Nova Albion it will be difficult, if not impossible, to track down exactly what it is.

Thanks

18 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

it's not the rezzer that's doing it, at least not directly.  It's the butterflies.

You're right.  I narrowed the scope of where they are supposed to rez to one meter, positioned my camera, and was able to see one rez before he took off like a bat out of hell toward parts unknown.  I did a few experiments, moving the rezzer around my parcel, and they seem to leave the rezzer at the same angle initially, then after a certain amount of time they make a random turn, that's why they're ending up all over the place.  I'm beginning to think that something local is causing them to move way too fast, and they leave their designated area before the script has a chance to turn them.

I also just noticed that a nearby neighbor has a cat, that's never had a problem before, at least none that I've noticed, but now all of a sudden he's doing weird things like leaving her parcel, walking on water, floating in the air, that sort of thing.

So, somehow the script in the butterfly is getting the wrong signal, or the script itself has been messed up.  If you still have a backup copy of the rezzer, so you can start completely fresh, you should be able to tell which of those possibilities is the right one.  If it still misbehaves, I'm going to guess it's a crosstalk problem or something like that.

The neighbor's cat suggests that it's crosstalk.

Edited by Rolig Loon

22 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

If you still have a backup copy of the rezzer

I don't, it's no copy ... but I did take it to a rez zone, far away, and everything worked fine there, so I don't think a fresh copy of the same scripts will make any difference.  Something happened locally, a few days ago, that's messing up my butterflies, and possibly my neighbors' cat.  The neighbors' cat has been there a while, and was misbehaving this morning even while there were no butterflies out, or the rezzer, so I don't think he's the problem, he's another victim.

If the sim restart doesn't help anything, I'll just put them away for a while, and try again at a later date.

Thanks

19 hours ago, LXIX Tomorrow said:

If the sim restart doesn't help anything ...

Just a quick update ... everything is back to normal this morning, including my neighbors' cat.  I did a few more tests yesterday, they worked fine when I found a place to rez on three of the adjacent sims, and they did not work when I took them up to 4K meters on my own sim.  There were a few other strange things going on as well, the sim was definitely broken last week.

Thanks for all the suggestions

• Like 1

On 4/11/2017 at 9:28 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:
On 4/11/2017 at 8:37 AM, LXIX Tomorrow said:

Maybe something got messed up with your account in the forum transition.

Kind of off topic, but we did touch on it here, so I thought I would post an update.  I suddenly couldn't see my in-world profile either, so I filed a ticket.  Turns out a recent change requires me to log in to my profile window separately from the viewer (probably because I don't allow cookies), and the support guy acknowledged that my profile here in the forums is missing, and will hopefully be restored when everything settles after the transition.

On 4/14/2017 at 10:47 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yeah, apparently they have a few profile / name issues to clear up:

@doobie322 ... The guy told me the in-world profile thing is a known issue, and pointed me to this Jira:  https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-10415

As far as the forums are concerned, he simply said "the community site has undergone some recent changes, and things are still settling from the changes".

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2566 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.