Medhue Simoni

Sansar Vs Second Life - Discussion

On 7/31/2017 at 0:59 PM, ChinRey said:

Well, anybody can see for themselves now.

I suppose that means the NDAs have expired too.

Yes, the NDAs have expired and we can write and share pictures of Sansar now. I wanted to let everybody know that I have started a blog devoted to Sansar, called the Sansar Newsblog. It's at https://sansarnewsblog.wordpress.com/ and I welcome all of you to come in and have a look. (i started the blog back in January, but I did not really start posting until Linden Lab opened the doors to the public in its open creator beta on July 31st.)

Every day, I highlight a specific Sansar experience in my Pick of the Day . Also, every day I post a picture of a different experience as my Scene of the Day. I have interviewed Sansar content creators such as Maxwell Graf of Rustica, and I share tips and tricks to help you get the most out of Sansar.

• Like 1

On 15.8.2017 at 7:30 PM, Luna Bliss said:

Yes, that's how I'm seeing it too.

But, I don't think Sansar is only meant for institutions. Sansar does seem to eliminate what prevented that for institutions (not enough control, too difficult to use).
WordPress For VR -- that is the clearly stated goal.

Or maybe it'll end up as Geocities for VR. ;)

I still have my doubts but it's beginning to look as if Sansar is worth the risk investing some hours of work on. Besides, I notice some of the makers of high poly plants in SL seem to be moving towards low poly for Sansar and that's my speciality. :D

Edited by ChinRey

15 hours ago, Loki Eliot said:

I wrote my own thoughts on the Sansar thing on my blog "Sansar: The Phantom Menace of virtual worlds?"

It's a good observation of what Sansar is.

What annoys me, is seemingly LL's obsession with doing the VR part first. Ebbe says this is because of the complexity of the VR side, or something like that. I don't agree with him. The VR side, the features, and the equipment will be ever changing. Desktop mode tho, is not changing, and not going to. So, LL, IMHO, is chasing their own tail. They should be working on what they know isn't going to change, saving the parts that are changing often for when it's more stable. Yeah, get VR in there, but don't spend all your time on it. To me, LL spent way too much time on the VR side, accomplishing very little, and the desktop side was completely neglected, despite the fact that it is OBVIOUS to EVERYONE, that VR is not the state most people will be in, even the people with VR helmets.

Plus, Sansar was billed as a world for creators. We all knew VR would be workable in it. LL pushed that Sansar was going to CATOR to creators. Well, I don't really see that at all, and now I'm wondering what LL's definition of a creator is. Seriously, LL has been working on Sansar for years now, and the most I, a fricken advanced creator, can do is upload a mesh. What a fricken JOKE! The lighting is nice, but why can't we do metals yet? Without metals, Sansar's graphics is only marginally better. Heck add some lighting affects in SL, and bam, pretty much the same as Sansar. 

Sorry! I got a bit carried away. Basically, I'm waiting for LL to make Sansar what they keep trying to promote it as. At this rate, it might be 10 years.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Medhue Simoni said:

Sorry! I got a bit carried away. Basically, I'm waiting for LL to make Sansar what they keep trying to promote it as. At this rate, it might be 10 years.

Yes, that is still the biggest concern. No matter how we look at it, Sansar is almost three years behind schedule already and time is running out fast.

8 hours ago, Medhue Simoni said:

I'm wondering what LL's definition of a creator is

Well somewhere along the way Ebbe stated a time or too that "EveryMan" (my quotes) could be a creator. Much like decorating your own home is in SL. It does seem very messy -- the concept and likely that is because there are several concepts STILL fighting it out at the meetings.  And while they are trying to figure it out, other folks are selling blocks of "your really own it" (we'll see how that works) land to backers of a sort for over $25 million US and HiFi is making some major moves. Others are in the mix too so there will be plenty for CREATORS to choose from in the coming years. 

I guess that's a good thing :D. 

Well, I think LL is going to make me eat my words. Or I hope so. lol

Went to a Sansar meeting today. It was good. I asked many questions and most of the answers were actually pretty good. I won't elaborate much, other than I'm hopeful.

Come to a meeting!

https://help.sansar.com/hc/en-us/sections/207286647-Meetup-Announcements

Edited by Medhue Simoni
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Medhue Simoni said:

Well, I think LL is going to make me eat my words. Or I hope so. lol

We'll see.

I am going in myself. It's a bit selfish of me maybe. I noticed that some sellers in the Sansar Store are focusing on low poly models similar in style to some of my SL builds and even using load saving techinques very similar to some of my signature tricks. I think that's exactly what Sansar needs if it's going to be the Wordpress of VR and of course, it means that instead of me having to spend weeks catching up with the early beta testers, they have to spend months trying to catch up with me. :D

I'm not going all in though because Sansar is still far more likely to fail than succeed. Even if it manages to establish a niche for itself, it may still not be enough for it to be commercially interesting for 3D modellers. The general price level at the Sansar Store is actually lower than in SL and that means we'll need large volumes. Yes, I can sell low poly trees for 30 S$ each and be happy with it but only if I can shift a thousand copies or more.

8 hours ago, Medhue Simoni said:

I asked many questions and most of the answers were actually pretty good.

They have some marvelous plans, yes. But sometimes they do seem to conflict with each other and there's still a question whether LL will be able to deliver in time. It's the ninety-ninety rule:

The first 90 percent of the code accounts for the first 90 percent of the development time. The remaining 10 percent of the code accounts for the other 90 percent of the development time.

So far Linden Lab has spent four years and managed to do about 50 percent of the work...

I believe if Sansar has to stand a chance at all, LL first needs to release a major upgrade by the end of this month. Then, if they're going for the high end market, they have to upgrade the graphics to match or beat UE4 within six months. If they're going for the "Wordpress for VR" concept, Sansar will have to pass the granny test within six months.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Yes, that is still the biggest concern. No matter how we look at it, Sansar is almost three years behind schedule already and time is running out fast.

I don't know that they are truly behind. What if they determined it would be best to shift gears in the middle of their work, or what if some added benefits they discovered along the way required them taking longer than planned. Perhaps it's much harder than they imagined, especially when allowing the customer to do major editing.

Besides, any project takes longer than planned.

There was a lot of hype about VR for awhile, but now I see it actually being used more and more...a gradual climb. The best move in such a case would be to take it slow and see how it's evolving...see where a niche market might be.

3 hours ago, ChinRey said:

I'm not going all in though because Sansar is still far more likely to fail than succeed.

Same here...take it slow..a bit of safety as we don't have unlimited amounts of time.

I look forward to seeing your flowers there....one can never have enough flowers :)

13 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Others are in the mix too so there will be plenty for CREATORS to choose from in the coming years. 

I was just exploring a couple of VR chat worlds that are similar to Second Life in some ways, and reading about one trying to raise funds that could be pretty big (slated to open in September).

This is one reason why it seems very important that LL delve into VR (via noticing the direction so much is moving toward).

Just a bit of interesting trivia. Since I am "not there" I can't really say much of anything with the least bit of authority or even opinion but for whatever reason Chrome added the Sansar home page to my thumbnails. I haven't been there but a few times and have visited other places MUCH more often, but that is the mystery of our A I software these days.  Actually I have only been to that astrology site once in the last six months. Obviously Chrome needs a little bit of tweaking LOL.

Anyway ---- 

sansartagline.jpg.f0a71f1fd1951e739ab219203103e2e4.jpg

I thought it was quite interesting that the official tag line seems to be "The world's leading social virtual reality platform". 

HMMMMM.    :SwingingFriends:

This may not be the right place and if so I am sure some of you will let me know. Is there a way to turn off the background music in SANSAR. I wear hearing aids and it is really annoying to have background music. You input is appreciated.

An because I know someone is going to ask: Yes, I am young. Yes I had an accident. Yes I have Hearing aids.

45 minutes ago, JoeDex said:

Is there a way to turn off the background music in SANSAR. I wear hearing aids and it is really annoying to have background music. You input is appreciated.

I don't think there's a way to turn it off at this time, but maybe ask over on the forum and who knows it might manifest in some update...

On 15/09/2017 at 8:59 AM, JoeDex said:

An because I know someone is going to ask: Yes, I am young. Yes I had an accident. Yes I have Hearing aids.

nobody would ask, but it's nice to know I guess. But I wasn't wondering

14 hours ago, Nina Jashan said:

nobody would ask, but it's nice to know I guess. But I wasn't wondering

You would be surprised how many times I am asked in SL. You know why I put that fact in there; cause I have been asked a bunch. It is nice to know you would not have asked me; I guess.

7 hours ago, JoeDex said:

You would be surprised how many times I am asked in SL. You know why I put that fact in there; cause I have been asked a bunch. It is nice to know you would not have asked me; I guess.

thank you for explaining that.

There have been others who have asked for a way to turn off the music. I think Torley is rather proud of his 'calming effect' music though. 

Link below to vote if you haven't found it already

https://help.sansar.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115009637046-Option-to-turn-off-waiting-room-music

Edited by Nina Jashan

On 4/11/2017 at 11:02 AM, Chic Aeon said:

LOL. Well not much discussion as folks that could knowingly say something about the platform cannot (that is NOT me as I opted not to agree to the Terms of Use - OMG).  

We know the platform will be completely different. Reports from those that have been there (and not been too good with their NDA) say graphics are great but other things not so much. 

We know that creators will have to learn new rules as well as new ways of getting their creations workable - new scripting, new animations etc. . 

We know that a lot of folks plan to go over and see.

What we don't know is how many will stay.

For ME, it will all be about the TOS :D.

That's my input. And I guess we will know MORE in a few months. 

Bad tos = no money for creators = no good contents.

SL rules are pretty relaxed compared to a few other platforms I would rather not name.

On 8/18/2017 at 7:53 AM, Medhue Simoni said:

What annoys me, is seemingly LL's obsession with doing the VR part first.

Good point. It's quite possible that VR is not the next big thing. It may be the next 3D TV. I've tried virtual reality headgear from the HTC Vibe all the way back to Jaron Lanier's original demo system. It's better now; graphics lag on head movement is finally OK. But really, it's still kind of a pain. Few people want to spend hours in there. Unlike SL. Note that the Oculus Rift has been out in some form now for what, four years,  and there has yet to be a "VR Blockbuster".[1] Microsoft just dropped the Kinect product line, indicating that moving around with good tracking isn't a selling product.

(Augmented reality might work out. I've tried the Microsoft HoloLens. That has real potential and real-world uses. It's also far less clunky than the VR headsets, and cordless.)

[1] https://www.technologyreview.com/s/603208/behind-the-numbers-of-virtual-realitys-sluggish-debut/

On 15/08/2017 at 7:13 AM, Spica Inventor said:

Needs camera controls. Needs inworld creation tools (that are decent and capable of meshing/sculpting). Get rid of the elitist 15 dollars a month creators fee. Everyone should start out with some free land that they can attach to each others lands if desired. Should take a 50% cut on merchant profits and not just 15%. That's all I can think of this morning before I get my morning cup of java.

Camera controls are the main thing I'm missing in Sansar. I cannot get my bearings without that function. It's like trying to play ping-pong with one hand tied behind your back. I have faith that the development gods will provide these controls, though, in the fullness of time. 

On 16.7.2018 at 5:40 PM, yetiburger said:

I have faith that the development gods will provide these controls, though, in the fullness of time. 

Maybe but there is one small problem:

Time Will End in Five Billion Years, Physicists Predict

Then again, physicists have been wrong before so there's still hope.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Remind me again oh gurus why I am paying for this (actually I like ) but as my main is 32 and my beast is 64 used for other (then no catbox no dramastorm ) So - can we sit yet?

SANSAR

More experiences for all. More reasons to create.

You've shared some incredible experiences already with the Sansar community. Starting today, you get to share even more.

Effective immediately, we're increasing the number of experiences users can create - our way of recognizing the amazing work you do, and your chance to make even more virtual magic!
  • If you're a Free user: you now get 20 experiences.
  • If you're a Creator: you now get 25 experiences.
  • If you're a Super Creator: you now get 30 experiences.
  • If you're a Professional: you now get 40 experiences. 
This is a big change for us, and one we hope will give you even more freedom to create, refine, and optimize your incredible ideas. Check out our blog post for more information.  

There has never been a better time to create. We can't wait to see what you make.

See you in Sansar!
The Sansar team