Medhue Simoni

Sansar Vs Second Life - Discussion

Vanity Fair    56
On 7/31/2017 at 0:59 PM, ChinRey said:

Well, anybody can see for themselves now.

I suppose that means the NDAs have expired too.

Yes, the NDAs have expired and we can write and share pictures of Sansar now. I wanted to let everybody know that I have started a blog devoted to Sansar, called the Sansar Newsblog. It's at https://sansarnewsblog.wordpress.com/ and I welcome all of you to come in and have a look. (i started the blog back in January, but I did not really start posting until Linden Lab opened the doors to the public in its open creator beta on July 31st.)

Every day, I highlight a specific Sansar experience in my Pick of the Day . Also, every day I post a picture of a different experience as my Scene of the Day. I have interviewed Sansar content creators such as Maxwell Graf of Rustica, and I share tips and tricks to help you get the most out of Sansar.

• Like 1

ChinRey    1,318
On 15.8.2017 at 7:30 PM, Luna Bliss said:

Yes, that's how I'm seeing it too.

But, I don't think Sansar is only meant for institutions. Sansar does seem to eliminate what prevented that for institutions (not enough control, too difficult to use).
WordPress For VR -- that is the clearly stated goal.

Or maybe it'll end up as Geocities for VR. ;)

I still have my doubts but it's beginning to look as if Sansar is worth the risk investing some hours of work on. Besides, I notice some of the makers of high poly plants in SL seem to be moving towards low poly for Sansar and that's my speciality. :D

Edited by ChinRey

Medhue Simoni    355
15 hours ago, Loki Eliot said:

I wrote my own thoughts on the Sansar thing on my blog "Sansar: The Phantom Menace of virtual worlds?"

It's a good observation of what Sansar is.

What annoys me, is seemingly LL's obsession with doing the VR part first. Ebbe says this is because of the complexity of the VR side, or something like that. I don't agree with him. The VR side, the features, and the equipment will be ever changing. Desktop mode tho, is not changing, and not going to. So, LL, IMHO, is chasing their own tail. They should be working on what they know isn't going to change, saving the parts that are changing often for when it's more stable. Yeah, get VR in there, but don't spend all your time on it. To me, LL spent way too much time on the VR side, accomplishing very little, and the desktop side was completely neglected, despite the fact that it is OBVIOUS to EVERYONE, that VR is not the state most people will be in, even the people with VR helmets.

Plus, Sansar was billed as a world for creators. We all knew VR would be workable in it. LL pushed that Sansar was going to CATOR to creators. Well, I don't really see that at all, and now I'm wondering what LL's definition of a creator is. Seriously, LL has been working on Sansar for years now, and the most I, a fricken advanced creator, can do is upload a mesh. What a fricken JOKE! The lighting is nice, but why can't we do metals yet? Without metals, Sansar's graphics is only marginally better. Heck add some lighting affects in SL, and bam, pretty much the same as Sansar. 

Sorry! I got a bit carried away. Basically, I'm waiting for LL to make Sansar what they keep trying to promote it as. At this rate, it might be 10 years.

• Like 5

ChinRey    1,318
5 hours ago, Medhue Simoni said:

Sorry! I got a bit carried away. Basically, I'm waiting for LL to make Sansar what they keep trying to promote it as. At this rate, it might be 10 years.

Yes, that is still the biggest concern. No matter how we look at it, Sansar is almost three years behind schedule already and time is running out fast.

Chic Aeon    1,460
8 hours ago, Medhue Simoni said:

I'm wondering what LL's definition of a creator is

Well somewhere along the way Ebbe stated a time or too that "EveryMan" (my quotes) could be a creator. Much like decorating your own home is in SL. It does seem very messy -- the concept and likely that is because there are several concepts STILL fighting it out at the meetings.  And while they are trying to figure it out, other folks are selling blocks of "your really own it" (we'll see how that works) land to backers of a sort for over $25 million US and HiFi is making some major moves. Others are in the mix too so there will be plenty for CREATORS to choose from in the coming years. 

I guess that's a good thing :D. 

Medhue Simoni    355

Well, I think LL is going to make me eat my words. Or I hope so. lol

Went to a Sansar meeting today. It was good. I asked many questions and most of the answers were actually pretty good. I won't elaborate much, other than I'm hopeful.

Come to a meeting!

https://help.sansar.com/hc/en-us/sections/207286647-Meetup-Announcements

Edited by Medhue Simoni
  • Like 2

ChinRey    1,318
7 hours ago, Medhue Simoni said:

Well, I think LL is going to make me eat my words. Or I hope so. lol

We'll see.

I am going in myself. It's a bit selfish of me maybe. I noticed that some sellers in the Sansar Store are focusing on low poly models similar in style to some of my SL builds and even using load saving techinques very similar to some of my signature tricks. I think that's exactly what Sansar needs if it's going to be the Wordpress of VR and of course, it means that instead of me having to spend weeks catching up with the early beta testers, they have to spend months trying to catch up with me. :D

I'm not going all in though because Sansar is still far more likely to fail than succeed. Even if it manages to establish a niche for itself, it may still not be enough for it to be commercially interesting for 3D modellers. The general price level at the Sansar Store is actually lower than in SL and that means we'll need large volumes. Yes, I can sell low poly trees for 30 S$ each and be happy with it but only if I can shift a thousand copies or more.

8 hours ago, Medhue Simoni said:

I asked many questions and most of the answers were actually pretty good.

They have some marvelous plans, yes. But sometimes they do seem to conflict with each other and there's still a question whether LL will be able to deliver in time. It's the ninety-ninety rule:

The first 90 percent of the code accounts for the first 90 percent of the development time. The remaining 10 percent of the code accounts for the other 90 percent of the development time.

So far Linden Lab has spent four years and managed to do about 50 percent of the work...

I believe if Sansar has to stand a chance at all, LL first needs to release a major upgrade by the end of this month. Then, if they're going for the high end market, they have to upgrade the graphics to match or beat UE4 within six months. If they're going for the "Wordpress for VR" concept, Sansar will have to pass the granny test within six months.

• Like 1

Luna Bliss    78
16 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Yes, that is still the biggest concern. No matter how we look at it, Sansar is almost three years behind schedule already and time is running out fast.

I don't know that they are truly behind. What if they determined it would be best to shift gears in the middle of their work, or what if some added benefits they discovered along the way required them taking longer than planned. Perhaps it's much harder than they imagined, especially when allowing the customer to do major editing.

Besides, any project takes longer than planned.

There was a lot of hype about VR for awhile, but now I see it actually being used more and more...a gradual climb. The best move in such a case would be to take it slow and see how it's evolving...see where a niche market might be.

Luna Bliss    78
3 hours ago, ChinRey said:

I'm not going all in though because Sansar is still far more likely to fail than succeed.

Same here...take it slow..a bit of safety as we don't have unlimited amounts of time.

I look forward to seeing your flowers there....one can never have enough flowers :)

Luna Bliss    78
13 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Others are in the mix too so there will be plenty for CREATORS to choose from in the coming years. 

I was just exploring a couple of VR chat worlds that are similar to Second Life in some ways, and reading about one trying to raise funds that could be pretty big (slated to open in September).

This is one reason why it seems very important that LL delve into VR (via noticing the direction so much is moving toward).

Chic Aeon    1,460

Just a bit of interesting trivia. Since I am "not there" I can't really say much of anything with the least bit of authority or even opinion but for whatever reason Chrome added the Sansar home page to my thumbnails. I haven't been there but a few times and have visited other places MUCH more often, but that is the mystery of our A I software these days.  Actually I have only been to that astrology site once in the last six months. Obviously Chrome needs a little bit of tweaking LOL.

Anyway ---- 

sansartagline.jpg.f0a71f1fd1951e739ab219203103e2e4.jpg

I thought it was quite interesting that the official tag line seems to be "The world's leading social virtual reality platform". 

HMMMMM.    :SwingingFriends:

JoeDex    34

This may not be the right place and if so I am sure some of you will let me know. Is there a way to turn off the background music in SANSAR. I wear hearing aids and it is really annoying to have background music. You input is appreciated.

An because I know someone is going to ask: Yes, I am young. Yes I had an accident. Yes I have Hearing aids.

Luna Bliss    78
45 minutes ago, JoeDex said:

Is there a way to turn off the background music in SANSAR. I wear hearing aids and it is really annoying to have background music. You input is appreciated.

I don't think there's a way to turn it off at this time, but maybe ask over on the forum and who knows it might manifest in some update...