Medhue Simoni

Sansar Vs Second Life - Discussion

Recommended Posts

Chic Aeon    1,460

LOL. Well not much discussion as folks that could knowingly say something about the platform cannot (that is NOT me as I opted not to agree to the Terms of Use - OMG).  

We know the platform will be completely different. Reports from those that have been there (and not been too good with their NDA) say graphics are great but other things not so much. 

We know that creators will have to learn new rules as well as new ways of getting their creations workable - new scripting, new animations etc. . 

We know that a lot of folks plan to go over and see.

What we don't know is how many will stay.

 

For ME, it will all be about the TOS :D.

 

That's my input. And I guess we will know MORE in a few months. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chase01    347

I am not going to speak for anyone else here but I haven't seen anything that has really got me excited just yet. That could of course change as more information becomes readily available but at the moment I am feeling perfectly content with the content in Second Life.

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alwin Alcott    2,689

till now for me Sansar is just another platform to create virtual experiences, as SL is one .. can't really compare those.

SL is good enough for me, i'm here for nearly 12 years with my oldest account, i'm not going to rebuild a new virtual life.

My friends are here, my inventory is here...

When SL shuts down... i'll go with it.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing i know, i go move to one of the new platforms.
High Fidelity, that am using and testing for 3 years or SaSar.

It depends on what other friends do, what the costs are,
and the difference between both platforms. and as last the TOS.

Secondlife is having to much problems and not the correct technology and support and just way to expensive.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rhonda Huntress    4,613
3 hours ago, Chase01 said:

I am not going to speak for anyone else here but I haven't seen anything that has really got me excited just yet. That could of course change as more information becomes readily available but at the moment I am feeling perfectly content with the content in Second Life.

 

Ditto

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ceka Cianci    1,046

I'm kinda looking forward to High-fidelity more than anything really..

I heard this was gonna be kinda like that..I'll check it out when it comes around..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Qie Niangao    383

I'll be a little surprised if Sansar succeeds. The vast majority of such projects don't.

Paradoxically, the amount of LL's resources diverted to Sansar's development gives High Fidelity a better likelihood of survival than if those Sansar resources had been devoted to extending Second Life.

That's probably why so many folks mistake Sansar for Second Life 2.0: We really, really need a Second Life 2.0. Not to detract from the efforts of Oz, Simon, and all the developers still assigned to SL (Bento, highlighted in the video, is just one example), but there's much more that could be done -- that those developers wish they could be doing -- if only resources were available.

Imagining against all odds a post-beta Sansar proves viable, LL becomes a two-platform, two-virtual-world shop. I try to visualize that working the way Instagram has its own growing user base inside the same parent as the distinct growing user base of Facebook. Young 'uns sort to Instagram, old farts settle into Facebook, everybody's happy while each platform gradually absorbs all the other's features.

Sure would be nice if SL and Sansar did some of that. Too bad incompatibility was regarded as a virtue.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Perrie Juran    149
18 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

<snip>

We know that a lot of folks plan to go over and see.

</snip>

 

Well that's the big question.  What will be there for us to see?  Or would it be more accurate to say, "What will be there for us TO DO?"

From all I have read one thing that Sansar is NOT, is a Virtual World.

And I'll say again what I have said in the past, LL does not care one bit if we migrate.  Sometimes I even get the impression that they don't want us to.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rhonda Huntress    4,613
2 minutes ago, Perrie Juran said:

LL does not care one bit if we migrate.  Sometimes I even get the impression that they don't want us to.

What's the point of creating something new if you don't attract new customers?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Perrie Juran    149
4 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

What's the point of creating something new if you don't attract new customers?

Absolutely  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chase01    347

From reports I've read they've definitely invest heavily into Sensar. I know they are trying to create alternative sources of revenue by diversifying their portfolio now while they can but SL is still the hand that feeds. A lack of serious investment into SL could only but help the well run dry sooner. I can only imagine what could have been done here with even half of the resources they've invested into Sensar.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

What's the point of creating something new if you don't attract new customers?

Sansar isn't for SL players because it isn't SL 2. That's really all we know about Sansar; it's something else meant for creators. From what I've read, based on the very little amount of information that's been made available, Sansar is closer to Unity than SL. LL is targeting a different customer base for this different product. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LittleMe Jewell    3,750
47 minutes ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

LL is targeting a different customer base for this different product. 

That actually makes more sense. They don't really gain anything by simply having one customer base move to a different product - other than possibly higher fees related to whatever.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Medhue Simoni    355
5 hours ago, Perrie Juran said:

"What will be there for us TO DO?"

That is really the real question. Or even, what will there be to buy? Some trees? Plants? Get some free rocks? Right now, Sansar is just looking at 3D environments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chic Aeon    1,460

After reading the Terms of Use for creator preview I can see why we aren't seeing any goods. I had been wondering about the lack of content for a long while and with Ebbe's purchase of the Golden Gate Bridge from Turgosquid  which he touted on media  -- that was an  "on my" moment. I am not going to say what it says what the terms say. Anyone invited over can (AND SHOULD) read. But it pretty much answered that question for me. So I wouldn't expect much in the beginning for sure. 

Rules may of course change once it opens. Honestly they would have to. But we will have to wait and see. We need to remember that these are NEW worlds popping up. None will be ready for prim time for a few years. Happily we have a home to enjoy. If the future turns bright, then there are options or expanded horizons. 

EDIT: And I just notice that Mr Medhue has a CUSTOM name tag?   Is he (are you) special?????? :D

 

Well of course you are!

Edited by Chic Aeon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Chase01 said:

can only imagine what could have been done here with even half of the resources they've invested into Sensar.

Still not see how you want to upgrade secondlife to make it work again and add all the functionality that is missing and remove bad content without a complete rewrite of secondlife. On top, secondlife is killing itself anyway slowly with the prices the as for a tiny sim. it also would cost more resources then write a new platform that is working good on modern hardware.

 

Secondlife only would be usefull again if you can have a sim for a few dollar, it support first person mode (no that is not mouselook) start to support htc vive , xbox one controller etc, get a good framerate and it need correct build scale and avatar sizes.

The nit really can do that in secondlife, and that is why the make sansar. and most people anyway buy content so i do not see much difference betweeen secondlife private sims and sansar.

You also say that wordpress is only for programmers. to use that as compare, sansar did that compare to.

Also, for me secondlife is more difficult to build in then high fidelity. besides you cannot build in secondlife and is useless because to expensive and the other problems. The only thing you can lose by moving to a much better modern platform is friends. For that you can always login in clumpsy secondlife.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

IThat's probably why so many folks mistake Sansar for Second Life 2.0: We really, really need a Second Life 2.0.

Not really. What LL and we need is a major price cut. SL simulators are too expensive to maintain, and that´s the major trouble. 

SL is not "outdated" or "obsolete", it´s still top notch in regards to technology. There is nothing comparable out there (Sansar included). And the graphics? Well, if you run a laptop or a five years old PC, you cannot have all the high end gaming visuals, regardless the game engine. If you have user generated content you cannot have professionally designed online game content as standard, regardless the game engine. Second Life on ultra settings looks pretty enough, but as long as there is a flood of high poly avatars and stuff around, even the highest end PC will be in trouble, regardless the game engine. I agree that Linden Lab could improve a few things. But due to user generated content - and the fact that the majority of SL users run SL on older or underpowered hardware - LL cannot make a miracle happen. But instead of being happy that they can LOG INTO a fully developed online 3D world and DO something AT ALL, users tend to bash Linden Lab for "not improving" Second Life. You know.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Vivienne Schell said:

Not really. What LL and we need is a major price cut. SL simulators are too expensive to maintain, and that´s the major trouble. 

SL is not "outdated" or "obsolete", it´s still top notch in regards to technology. There is nothing comparable out there (Sansar included). And the graphics? Well, if you run a laptop or a five years old PC, you cannot have all the high end gaming visuals, regardless the game engine. If you have user generated content you cannot have professionally designed online game content as standard, regardless the game engine. Second Life on ultra settings looks pretty enough, but as long as there is a flood of high poly avatars and stuff around, even the highest end PC will be in trouble, regardless the game engine. I agree that Linden Lab could improve a few things. But due to user generated content - and the fact that the majority of SL users run SL on older or underpowered hardware - LL cannot make a miracle happen. But instead of being happy that they can LOG INTO a fully developed online 3D world and DO something AT ALL, users tend to bash Linden Lab for "not improving" Second Life. You know.

100x THIS.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Qie Niangao    383
14 minutes ago, Vivienne Schell said:

Not really. What LL and we need is a major price cut. SL simulators are too expensive to maintain, and that´s the major trouble. 

SL is not "outdated" or "obsolete", it´s still top notch in regards to technology. [...]

See, I think those two lines contradict each other. Part of what's lacking in SL is the advanced virtualization technology to make sims much cheaper by running them hundreds to the core when idle. Maybe a few background tasks would need to get designed-out of the simulation or whatever. All that and whatever else it takes to reduce SL operational expense would be part of SL 2.0 development.

Far above and beyond operational expense, the pricing of the SL "land" product is absurdly high, and we know LL recognizes that, too: most Sansar revenue will come from content, not "land". Maybe they really can't migrate SL's pricing toward that newer model, but I'm not convinced of that.

As far as new graphics technology, at this point it appears to have been just fine that LL never invested much in SL for VR headsets. In fact, at this point, the less a company invested in VR, the smarter they're appearing. Maybe the next wave (AR or later) will make somebody back their investment. Until then, it's hard to know what really matters in game graphics. (Or maybe Sansar is just what's needed to turn around the whole floundering VR market. Yeah, you betcha.)

Also in passing many folks think NPCs would make a huge difference to SL. I'm just not gamer enough to know one way or another, but it's an example of potential n-world technology that might improve SL's business value.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

 in passing many folks think NPCs would make a huge difference to SL. I'm just not gamer enough to know one way or another, but it's an example of potential n-world technology that might improve SL's business value.

NPC's wopuld be nice in Secondlife.
But the are not in secondlife because the platform is not really designed to handly many avatars. And that is why i do not expect NPC's soon. Remember that secondlife is running most of the simulator server side. and that also explains why the cannot easy move it to a different construction to make it cheaper. The whole way secondlife is designed create lot's of problems for improvements.

And AR is really MeH.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

(Or maybe Sansar is just what's needed to turn around the whole floundering VR market. Yeah, you betcha.)

First of all VR takes an nVidia 1070 GTX built into a high end gamer rocket PC (1500 US$ at least) plus a 900 US$ goggle. Mainstream VR? Maybe in five years.

For now, sales of all the VR gear are goin straight downhill, despite of all the hype (Financial experts call it "Disappointing", which is almost like indicating sudden death). But that´s another piece of cake.

And yes, Second Life can be optimised and improved for sure, but as I mentioned before, Linden Lab cannot perform miracles. But judjging by what i read on the various forums and blogs connected to SL and in SL itself, the audience suffers for a miracle. They want a miracle. And miracles won´t happen.

Edited by Vivienne Schell
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Medhue Simoni    355
12 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

EDIT: And I just notice that Mr Medhue has a CUSTOM name tag?   Is he (are you) special?????? :D

 

Well of course you are!

Of course I am! That said, I think anyone can add whatever they want in their name tag. I tried it, kind of jokingly, but it worked, so whatever.

7e07605be28b05e389d5376ac7b5debd.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now