Land Squatters

Sarah Welch

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4702 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just wanted to give all landowners a heads up. I have discovered a griefer in world  who moves from place to place, building is little base of operation up in the sky on pieces of land he does not own or rent. I strongly suggest checking your prim counts and object lists on each and every piece of land you own that is sitting open to access by anyone.

He started out doing this at sandboxes with long return times, but has found it easier to just find an unsuspecting owners piece of land to build on. I personally think this behavior is disgraceful, and above and beyond that he launches griefing attacks in this manner.

Please help rid our world of one more trouble maker.

I should add, he is presently targeting private island estates and homesteads and usually builds above 600 meters in the sky. I have found his squats as high as 3500 meters too, so check carefully.I have been keeping track of him through the ASN Stargate database. Every time he builds, he puts up a stargate....easy to track this way. ASN page link is below:

http://www.alpha-fox.com/asn/db/

If you want your post to stay, remove the name of the resident.

Simple solution: make sure build on your land is set correctly, turn it off or set it to group. If you do want to allow other people to build, set a return time.

If you have evidence of a griefing attack, file an abuse report and let the Lindens handle it. Ask the people who witness the attack do the same. 

Sarah Welch wrote:

Just wanted to give all landowners a heads up. I have discovered a griefer in world  who moves from place to place, building is little base of operation up in the sky on pieces of land he does not own or rent. I strongly suggest checking your prim counts and object lists on each and every piece of land you own that is sitting open to access by anyone.

He started out doing this at sandboxes with long return times, but has found it easier to just find an unsuspecting owners piece of land to build on. I personally think this behavior is disgraceful, and above and beyond that he launches griefing attacks in this manner.

Please help rid our world of one more trouble maker.

I should add, he is presently targeting private island estates and homesteads and usually builds above 600 meters in the sky. I have found his squats as high as 3500 meters too, so check carefully.I have been keeping track of him through the ASN Stargate database. Every time he builds, he puts up a stargate....easy to track this way. ASN page link is below:

This...

Anita61 Anatine
wrote:

Simple solution: make sure build on your land is set correctly, turn it off or set it to group. If you do want to allow other people to build, set a return time.

If you have evidence of a griefing attack, file an abuse report and let the Lindens handle it. Ask the people who witness the attack do the same.

I see some strong accusations in OP's post and zero proof. I also see a link to something and an implied suggestion that people stalk suspected griefers using some sort of offsite technology. Sorry but to me that's bigger grief than someone wanting to dump a sky full of styrofoam blocks on my head, and the very existance of such technology here and tolerance for the same is a much bigger real life security risk (not to mention privacy invasion) to every one of us than anything you might be trying to protect in a pixel world.

Just AR it...and use your land and group settings in an appropriate way for your land :) Let's get back to having fun instead of playing internet cop

thnx

Like it or not, playing "internet cop" is a necessary part of running an Estate.

The larger the Estate the more difficult it becomes to keep track of every parcel of land within the Estate and making sure that the settings are correct.

We have considered developing a "blacklist" type website where Estate Owners could freely post warnings about their worst offenders.

What do other Estate Owners think?

Would you find value in that?

Would you pay a nominal fee to use the service?

Thanks for your insights.

Lizard Howl

Segarra Estates Owner

If such a list were in the comunity spirit, it would be allowed right here on the forums. It's not. For very good reasons.

I do concur that yes, sometimes it's necesary to eject or ban an avatar or make some settings more restrictive, sometimes for a limited time). And for extreme things, AR's. Doesn't make me cop though, just someone that manages a piece of land. :)

So much of what is considered grief is personal differences between the specific people and may not even apply to others at all. There's also a lot of things that are just misunderstandings because someone is new and doesn't understand that they have to either buy or rent that property to live in the cool looking house they found empty.

I'm not unfamiliar with griefers though (the real ones) Once at a place I worked, we got greifed by (of all things) Santa! Guy was somewhere up in the air bombing the place and spamming ho ho ho this and that all over. Several staff members and sim 'security' were flying around trying to capture this joker in in misti tool traps,lol. None of it worked. What did work was 3 or 4 of us filed AR's and the guy was shut down in about 20 minutes

Lizard Howl wrote:

We have considered developing a "blacklist" type website where Estate Owners could freely post warnings about their worst offenders.

What do other Estate Owners think?

Would you find value in that?

Would you pay a nominal fee to use the service?

I have owned estates since 2006, and this idea has been floated before in the form of various groups which would serve as a place to register complaints against known griefers, and alert estate owners to ban those avatars from their own sims.  In every case, the system was rendered useless because of one person having a personal vendetta against another, and hyped-up or even false complaints being registered in an attempt to blacklist one individual or another.  Add to this the fact that LL makes it ridiculously easy for a griefer to simply assume a new identity and go on griefing in his or her "alt" suit, while we land owners were busy banning the original trouble-maker, and it was all an exercise in futility.

For me, the best protection is in frequent prim counting.  I keep my one remaining estate set to group access, with building privileges only granted to defined roles.  It helps, but it's not a perfect system here in Second Life.  Despite the fact that an outsider should not be able to rezz a prim, I've found that "sometimes" they still can in the sky.  This security breach isn't at all consistent, and I tired of filing tickets on it long ago.  Now I just keep an eye open for any abuse.

• 1 month later...

Even if you do manage to "rid the world" of this one griefer, a dozen more will pop up to take his place.   One of that new dozen will be the same griefer with a new account and MAC and IP address.

Just set your autoreturn settings where they should be and keep an eye on your holdings like you should have already been doing.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4702 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.