Sign in to follow this  
Jack Francois

[Maya] copy skin weights from Mesh Body and overlap with clothing

Whenever I try to copy skin weights from a mesh body, I end up with this kind of issue when moving the joints like this https://i.gyazo.com/7c7e6b43356665033e144f909d3b31ab.mp4

Is there a way to easily copy weights in Maya or other software without having this issue?  I was playing around with making a layer for alpha's for a mesh body with the same issue, even when both have the same topology. 

This is pretty much what I would expect to happen with meshes layered on top of each other. I doubt there is any solution to solve this entirely, without tweaking the weights manually. And even then clippling will be hard to avoid depending on the deformation the model has to go through while playing animations. If you can't remove the underlaying hidden geometry, the solution is to alpha mask these parts. Which doesn't work with layered tattoo meshes indeed.

You need to use the right method. When copying skins click the box for enhanced settings and use a different reference. I personally prefer one to one and it copies skin weights perfectly.